User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    he must have thought that.
    What makes you so sure? Victims of bullying many times have issues with pent up anger, as we have seen in this thread. I have no doubt this could lead to an overreaction if faced with no other choice than to let it loose.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Yet another slippery slope. How much misery should one have to endure until it is alright to end the life of the personal terrorist? How do we quantify it? Should employees be allowed to murder their shitty bosses?

The crux of the issue is that the bully ended up dying. Had he not died, it would have been an entirely different matter due to the unfortunate situation that Saavedra was put in, in terms of strength and numbers. But the case is transformed both morally and legally once Saavedra terminates the bully's life; for while are quite a few things that can justify the use of a knife, there is only one thing - in this situation - that can justify the taking of another person's life: If you believe your life is in imminent danger. I keep repeating this, but you people are constantly making up crazy justifications for murder/manslaughter.

I was asked by @Tyrinth to prove that Saavedra wasn't fearing for his life. Of course Tyrinth knows that I cannot do this, and thinks that this somehow devalues what I'm saying. But all any of us can do is to take a look at the situation, put ourselves into Saavedra's position and figure out whether or not he had reason to fear for his life; I do not think so.
    Don't worry Smiley. All our decisions depend directly on the state. It's not bullying us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    As I said in the rep I sent you... stabbing really isn't that different motion wise than punching, punch with a knife in your hand, and you're pretty damn close to an effective stabbing motion. I don't buy your argument that the stabbing motion meant he was in a deliberate state of mind.

Now, if he had done slicing motions targeting the jugular or femoral artery, then I might buy that he was being deliberate and trying to kill the guy. But random stabbing attacks all over the body? Nah, that screams distress and anything but deliberate.

It's not so much the concern about intuitively using the knife when it's in hand. It's more so the steps needed to employ the weapon. He obviously had to take the step to locate and equip the weapon. That just seems like deliberation in such a situation, despite the "tense" conditions. I have a bit of bias as well. A classmate of the bullied mention he's a bright kid. I have no doubt he's smart and it does play a part in the mental image I have of him.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Victims of bullying many times have issues with pent up anger, as we have seen in this thread.
    As do bullies, just saying.

Who are you to say that the victim didn't want to beat the defendant until he stopped moving? All we know is he got off a punch to back of the head, we don't know his intentions.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

What makes you so sure? Victims of bullying many times have issues with pent up anger, as we have seen in this thread.
    i was just echoing you but with my opinion with the same amount of proof behind it as you, when you voiced your opinion about the boy being guilty. which is little.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    It's not so much the concern about intuitively using the knife when it's in hand. It's more so the steps needed to employ the weapon. He obviously had to take the step to locate and equip the weapon. That just seems like deliberation in such a situation, despite the "tense" conditions. I have a bit of bias as well. A classmate of the bullied mention he's a bright kid. I have no doubt he's smart and it does play a part in the mental image I have of him.
    I can deploy my knife in appoximately 1-3 seconds, depending on whether or not my shirt decides to be a pain. Again, if you're used to it, it really doesn't require that much thought or effort. Did it say if he was using a folder though? My knife is fixed blade, so if his was a folder I guess that could make a bit of a difference.

And it's okay, your bias was painfully evident to everyone since post one where you put "self-defense" in quotation marks.

I'm not a violent man, but screw bullies. Lots of kids are just downright rotten, I don't buy that kids can't be evil. I applaud this kid. When you try to avoid confrontation and then it insists on finding you, come at it with both barrels.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I'm not a violent man, but screw bullies. Lots of kids are just downright rotten, I don't buy that kids can't be evil. I applaud this kid. When you try to avoid confrontation and then it insists on finding you, come at it with both barrels.
    mind if i borrow that?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I neither condone nor condemn what this kid did in this situation. That said, what would be the purpose of handing down criminal charges? What justice would be served if he were punished?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I neither condone nor condemn what this kid did in this situation. That said, what would be the purpose of handing down criminal charges? What justice would be served if he were punished?
    exactly. acting on a survival instinct =/= criminal act. this was clearly not a choice/something the kid wanted to do. he was threatened and felt forced to.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire