User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

As excessive as 12 stabs may seem, we didn't watch the fight. I also fail to see why self-defense isn't self-defense unless there is a high likelihood of death. Are people expected to just let others beat them up because they aren't going to die? Bodily harm is bodily harm, regardless of whether you will survive. Unless facts are being misrepresented, I find it unlikely that Dylan didn't see the knife. It sounds like he continued to fight after seeing the knife.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    Possibly for the same reason you prefer speculation over conjecture. Who knows, it's not relevant.
    I dont have a preference for either word, I just think you are not using conjecture in the right context, I think you use it as a means of categorising others posts, dismissively.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGray View Post
    As excessive as 12 stabs may seem, we didn't watch the fight.
    i think the bus stops there. if you are going to use the "i go to see it to believe it" defense you closed the case by rule of "i dont want to get involved".

. I also fail to see why self-defense isn't self-defense unless there is a high likelihood of death.
    agreed.

Are people expected to just let others beat them up because they aren't going to die? Bodily harm is bodily harm, regardless of whether you will survive.
    however, there is an appropriate response for observable probability of bodily harm. disabling the assailant would be - 12 stabs (although we don't know the nature of the bout) over steps the aforementioned bounds of self-defense.
    Oh, its
    You

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    yes, I do.
    You probably do not. If you had you would quote a personal experience regarding a similar situation. Rather you referred to our ancestors use of weaponry as if it were evidence that it is a part of our instinctual make up. I guess creating fire is also an instinctual ability rather than a trait learned.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Well, with this ruling, hopefully bullies everywhere will think twice before beating on a kid. I'm always reluctant to say that killing is justifiable, and I don't think I've heard enough details to say that for this situation. I would have wished that kid made a different decision. Although he won the fight, he is not going to get away scot-free. This will stick with him for life and he will have to be careful it doesn't consume him. 14, and he has killed someone. I wouldn't want to live with that. As said in the article, this is a tragedy for everyone.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    i think the bus stops there. if you are going to use the "i go to see it to believe it" defense you closed the case by rule of "i dont want to get involved".
    Stabbing someone once, having them fall to the ground while their friends run away and then proceeding to continue stab them is excessive. Stabs could easily be on the arms/legs while Dylan continued to fight. If that or similar circumstances occur 12 stabs is not excessive. I don't know if it was or was not excessive, but I don't see how other people just assume 12 stabs = excessive force.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

You probably do not. If you had you would quote a personal experience regarding a similar situation. Rather you referred to our ancestors use of weaponry as if it were evidence that it is a part of our instinctual make up. I guess creating fire is also an instinctual ability rather than a trait learned.
    Learned =/= rational. If you hold a knife enough, using it becomes instinct. You don't have to think about it to use it, it becomes nearly an extension of your body.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Stabbing someone once, having them fall to the ground while their friends run away and then proceeding to continue stab them is excessive. Stabs could easily be on the arms/legs while Dylan continued to fight. If that or similar circumstances occur 12 stabs is not excessive. I don't know if it was or was not excessive, but I don't see how other people just assume 12 stabs = excessive force.
    he hit him on the neck. who knows if the guy went down. but after Dylan is likely bleeding all over his shirt and looks like an American Psycho extra, I think its time to haul ass if escaping or avoidance was the go-to in the first place.
    Oh, its
    You

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Learned =/= rational. If you hold a knife enough, using it becomes instinct. You don't have to think about it to use it, it becomes nearly an extension of your body.

I agree. It becomes part of your muscle memory. We do not know if the person has had extensive use practicing his use of the knife on targets.

If he had then sure it could be a natural reaction to stab the assaulter. I however, do not believe he has had extensive use of his knife. Ofc this is conjecture (had to say it again, just for Lark because I know he loves it), if I'm right though....then he was very aware of what he was doing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I agree. It becomes part of your muscle memory. We do not know if the person has had extensive use practicing his use of the knife on targets.
    I agree with that. I just can't agree with your arguement that he had to be in some amazingly clear state of mind to be able to use a knife effectively. It's a simple tool which can be wielded easily by anyone who isn't scared of the blade in pretty much any state of mind.