User Tag List

Ginkgo

Default Does Your Political Affiliation Depend on Your Political Stances or Your Temperament?

No doubt your temperament affects your political stances, but it's not the only determining factor. Do you think political orientation is summed up by one's political opinions, or by their general attitude on life?

No poll?

Political opinions.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

FigerPuppet

Both.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    No doubt your temperament affects your political stances, but it's not the only determining factor. Do you think political orientation is summed up by one's political opinions, or by their general attitude on life?
    I lean toward the latter.

If this subject is of great interest to you, I suggest you consider reading this (if you haven't already): http://www.amazon.com/Conflict-Visio...4717076&sr=1-3
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I'd like you to clarify this a bit.

I've found a lot of the more opinionated left or right people I know are also the sorts to experience strong affects, like to be very happy or very sad as a result of agreement or argument, they'll engage in name calling and posturing and it'll stand in for reasoned argument, infact reasonable argument instead of shared outrage will be construed as treacherous or betrayal or being part of the opposing viewpoint.

Although the political position which is taken in the first place, ie left or right, is generally completely determined by income bracket or wealth.

Society

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    ...I've found a lot of the more opinionated left or right people I know are also the sorts to experience strong affects, like to be very happy or very sad as a result of agreement or argument, they'll engage in name calling and posturing and it'll stand in for reasoned argument, infact reasonable argument instead of shared outrage will be construed as treacherous or betrayal or being part of the opposing viewpoint.

Although the political position which is taken in the first place, ie left or right, is generally completely determined by income bracket or wealth.
    Sometimes people with intense political views are projecting and universalizing aspects of their personal life onto a political template. When this is the case, dismissing their political opinions is akin to dismissing pain and trouble from their personal lives. This is not a rational process and so they fight hard and can feel very betrayed if you disagree with them. It is not possible to discuss politics in this setting, but what I do is to reinforce any underlying principles that are shared and then avoid the topic or directly say that it is not a productive topic and I value my relationship with them more and would rather talk about their life.

Political opinion is also strongly influenced by subconscious desire to belong to a community which correlates to what you said about socio-economic status, although just gives that premise a higher resolution.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.