User Tag List

First 1234 Last

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

They can't take the restaurants business' away with a hot-dog stand? Um, last time I checked, people are free to chose wherever they want to eat...even at a hot-dog stand.

Not surprised at this. Not at all.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

so many things wrong with this.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    They can't take the restaurants business' away with a hot-dog stand? Um, last time I checked, people are free to chose wherever they want to eat...even at a hot-dog stand.

Not surprised at this. Not at all.
    ...Not sure if sarcastic or not...

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    ...Not sure if sarcastic or not...
    Oops...multiple tab syndrome. I meant to say that how is it possible that a hot-dog stand can deprive these restaurants of business.

MBTI
    INFJ

This is a drawback of economic capitalism, in the sense of privately owned capital and the exclusivity which comes with it.

This drawback makes itself readily apparent in cases like this where someone wants to make an honest living and they don't have much capital, yet it has a chance of working anyway.

Setting up a hotdog stand which is a very small amount of capital is threatening to restaurants which involve a larger amount of capital (a whole building and equipment and property to go with it)

They feel threatened that their huge business investment might be challenged by a little boy with only a hotdog cart.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm confused about why this is news. The town had a pre-existing food cart ban. I don't think they singled out this kid. I don't know why the one offiicial told him it would be fine to start the hot dog stand, that seems like the shitty part to me.

We had a food cart ban here but I think it got overturned recently because hipsters love food trucks.

MBTI
    INFJ

@Ivy

Probably because people really don't expect this. They're still under the illusion that it's a free country and you can succeed if you try hard enough, and that we're free to make a living and work for ourselves, and that we aren't prohibited from entry into markets which is simply not true.

Notice how in the article it says:
    Mayor Kurt Dykstra turned down the family’s appeal to city council last week, saying that it was to protect downtown restaurant owners who had asked that the “success of the downtown district not be infringed upon by those who don’t share in the costs of maintaining the attractiveness of that space.”
    This is exclusivity and prohibiting entry and mobility. Basically if you don't already have an existing building and can't buy one, you're SOL when it comes to making any kind of new enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    We had a food cart ban here but I think it got overturned recently because hipsters love food trucks.
    Really? Breakfast tacos and hot dogs are hipster grub now?

Falafel I could understand.. but hot dogs?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Really? Breakfast tacos and hot dogs are hipster grub now?

Falafel I could understand.. but hot dogs?
    Hipsters are so hip that nobody knows what they really are, not even them.

There's no hipster conventions because if there were one, either nobody would find it or nobody would show up.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

If the town had a food-cart ban already, then why didn't they just give that as the reason instead of going on about that the “success of the downtown district not be infringed upon by those who don’t share in the costs of maintaining the attractiveness of that space.” That part was the most irritating to me. Americans are so hostile about making sure no one gets a free ride. I dislike that about our socioeconomic values. People lose their shit over the fact that someone might be getting something without having to work for it, never stopping to evaluate whether or not that would really affect them and their livelihood.
    ( . )( . )