User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Paul Ryan to be Mitt Romney's Running Mate

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...nning-mate?lit

Somewhat unexpected, but this should certainly shake up the campaign, motivate the base, and accentuate the differences with Obama/Biden.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Romney must have been wondering how he could make himself seem even more like he hated the lower and middle class.

I'm not sure if negative values can really exist in one's desire to vote for a candidate, but this certainly makes me complete absence of desire to vote for Romney somehow more absent. The Ryan budget plan was one of the bigger travesties I can remember from the Republicans in the past couple years.

In general I'm not quite sure what the point is to this politically. Ryan is kind of an unknown to the general voting base. He's a big, fat target for populist attacks which appear to still be effective (and in this case they ought to be), and he's not really charismatic or interesting enough for it to compensate. Romney might be excessively worried about how right-wing he looks.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default Paul Ryan for VP

romney just announced ryan as his running mate.
    ryan is still speaking.

what do we think?
    about him, and about his first speech while officially on the ticket?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

We think there's already a thread for that: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ning-mate.html

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I think it gives the left an easy target, but beyond that I don't know how this will play out.

Conservatives hate Obama enough that they would have come out to vote against him anyway.

They may not love Romney, but the choice between him and Obama would be an easy one for conservatives come November.

Except possibly handing us Wisconsin (Paul Ryans state) I don't think this VP pick will be much of a net gain for Romney.

Now that all being said, I can understand why Romney chose Ryan given the pressure Romney must be getting from conservative donors.

I don't think Ryan will play well to the middle ideologically.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I think I know exactly what message he's trying to send by choosing Paul Ryan. "How can I show where I stand to those voters who have been paying little or no attention to the whole election process so far?" Choose a name that's rather well-known and symbolic for a major issue.

I have been paying zero attention to this election, and I know who Paul Ryan is, in a vague, symbolic way. So I get Mitt Romney's "point." Very fast and effective method of conveying a platform message.

Now, obviously, there are different ways, positive or negative, to interpret that message, but the fact is that it's pretty simple and (meant to seem) straightforward.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    We think there's already a thread for that: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ning-mate.html
    that thread is out of date. the title says "to be" as in future tense.
    mine pertains to the moment of, and all moments following romney's announcement.

but i didn't notice that.
    thanks for the generous contribution.
    we fukin won boys

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I think I know exactly what message he's trying to send by choosing Paul Ryan. "How can I show where I stand to those voters who have been paying little or no attention to the whole election process so far?" Choose a name that's rather well-known and symbolic for a major issue.

I have been paying zero attention to this election, and I know who Paul Ryan is, in a vague, symbolic way. So I get Mitt Romney's "point." Very fast and effective method of conveying a platform message.

Now, obviously, there are different ways, positive or negative, to interpret that message, but the fact is that it's pretty simple and (meant to seem) straightforward.
    The pick does a very good job of clarifying Romney's stance on several issues.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I think Paul Ryan beefs up the Romney ticket's "true conservative" credentials... but it's hard to see that as a winning strategy at this point. It may increase the motivation of some Republicans to vote, but otherwise it seems like it more narrows than broadens Romney's appeal.

And there's plenty to mine for political ammunition, just on Ryan's wiki page. It can easily be spun into:
    • Ryan wanted to "kill medicare" (turn it into a capped voucher system that wouldn't increase with cost increases)
    • Ryan wanted to introduce a consumption tax (regressive!)
    • The Ryan budget was so cruel that even the Catholic church spoke out against it ("profoundly misreading Church teaching.")
    • Ryan was a Randroid (Ryan: "The reason I got involved in public service, by and large, if I had to credit one thinker, one person, it would be Ayn Rand." "[Rand's works] are required reading for everyone on my staff")
    • Voted for the partial Glass-Steagall repeal act in 1999
    • Voted for the Tea Party inspiring Bail Out in 2008

Of course, every politician has statements and positions that can be spun. Still, definitely feels like a move to shore up his base, rather than broaden his appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Of course, every politician has statements and positions that can be spun. Still, definitely feels like a move to shore up his base, rather than broaden his appeal.
    And that's what this all about. It doesn't matter what Ryan believed or voted for in the past all that matters is the message about Ryan that the base is buying. For some time now the conservative base has been buying that Ryan is a smart and strong fiscal conservative who is serious about fixing the economy by reducing the debt. Most important to the base is that the left hates Ryan because of his position on the budget.

Voting for TARP? auto bailouts? No child left behind? Debt ceiling increases?
    That doesn't matter.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it