Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Why will it change?

If you can get people believing about "death panels" you can get them believing about grandma stroking out in the street while Paul Ryan chuckles atop a pile of money.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

What do you think of this comprehensive article?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...l-ryan-primer/
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'm still of the opinion that picking Ryan opens up new vulnerabilities for few if any apparent gains. Romney can still win, but supposing he does, I doubt I'll be looking back on his VP choice as a fateful event.
    I think you might be under-estimating Ryan's personal appeal; from all accounts, he's a very charismatic person who is highly respected even by those who disagree with him, and may well win over people who dissapprove of Obama but just plain don't like Romney. Also, Romney needs more than just anti-Obama voters on election day, he needs energized supporters to campaign locally for him for the next three months....this pick virtually ensures that, albeit at the risk of scaring away swing voters.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I'm still of the opinion that picking Ryan opens up new vulnerabilities for few if any apparent gains. Romney can still win, but supposing he does, I doubt I'll be looking back on his VP choice as a fateful event.
    Yeah, well, no offense, but your judgment about things has never been too keen.

Ryan will destroy Biden in the debates, and adds a much-needed backbone to Romney's swaying-in-the-wind tendencies.

In their '60 Minutes' interview last night, Romney seemed to actually have some substance to him -- far more than ever before.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    What do you think of this comprehensive article?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...l-ryan-primer/
    They changed the title of the first article after "The Politics:" subheading.

The article from the national journal was titled: Use of Ryan Budget in Hill Races Offers Insights: Democrats call it a vulnerability, but GOP says a good messenger can offset challenge.

The headline of the reference to that article in the WaPo piece is this: In prior House races, the Ryan plan proved a lightning rod, if not an outright liability, for Republicans.

Not to mention the text quoted was taken out of context, and is pretty much the most extreme statement made in the article in that (left) direction, and isn't representative of the article generally.

I could find other issues, but I'm too lazy.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Why will it change?

If you can get people believing about "death panels" you can get them believing about grandma stroking out in the street while Paul Ryan chuckles atop a pile of money.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Yeah, well, no offense, but your judgment about things has never been too keen.
    Sources?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Ryan will destroy Biden in the debates, and adds a much-needed backbone to Romney's swaying-in-the-wind tendencies.
    As long as Biden doesn't do his typical slipping up (which he didn't in his last debate), he can actually match Ryan very well. Biden has an incredibly accessible sort of blue-collar likability, and he is way more aggressive than Obama. Basically, I think Biden could win in the minds of the public by going on an all-out populist offensive, taking Ryan to town on everything that makes him seem like a callous, disconnected elitist.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

As long as Biden doesn't do his typical slipping up (which he didn't in his last debate), he can actually match Ryan very well. Biden has an incredibly accessible sort of blue-collar likability, and he is way more aggressive than Obama. Basically, I think Biden could win in the minds of the public by going on an all-out populist offensive, taking Ryan to town on everything that makes him seem like a callous, disconnected elitist.
    While both have long worked in D.C., they are still far more similar to each other than to Romney. I don't know if Biden can effectively portray Ryan as an elitist without opening himself up to the same charges.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Sources?
    Just go through his posting history.

Edit (after reading your post above): looks like you found an example pretty quickly.

As long as Biden doesn't do his typical slipping up (which he didn't in his last debate)...
    Yes, against that intellectual powerhouse Sarah Palin.

...he can actually match Ryan very well.
    Hardly.

Ryan's command of the issues will make Biden look like a babbling idiot.

Biden has an incredibly accessible sort of blue-collar likability, and he is way more aggressive than Obama. Basically, I think Biden could win in the minds of the public by going on an all-out populist offensive, taking Ryan to town on everything that makes him seem like a callous, disconnected elitist.
    Yes, those disconnected Wisconsin elites.

Especially the ones who have worked the grill at McDonald's, and driven the Oscar Mayer Weinermobile as a company salesman.