User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Physical Education and Sports

When I went to school physical education amounted to teachers bullying kids into running around a field in the wet and cold usually or handing out a ball and everyone played a game they'd play during the break if someone had brought a ball.

In short it was BS.

This is something people have talked up and talked up during the olympics here in the UK but I would take no exercise if my option was to repeat what I did at school.

Now I love the gym, I dont know why schools dont have something like that instead, I've even seen amusement arcades in which there are bicycles which are hooked up to the machine, granted they are not the most popular but they are there, something like that would have been an awesome alternative.

I think that if schools had something like this they could even offer early morning, lunch times or afterschools clubs using this equipment and it would be a different story to the my own experience.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

My phys ed. was almost entirely sports, actually, with a tiny bit of nutrition and sex ed thrown in. I'm sure curriculums vary wildly based on country.

Regardless, sports in phys ed. did NOT make me love sports, in fact since we tried a billion sports for a few days each and I'm very uncoordinated, it led to me thinking sports were not something I was capable of. It took years for me to learn that this wasn't true.

Not everyone loves the gym - I doubt kids would go. I loathe the gym even knowing it's good for me, and would never ever have gone as a child. Also, weights/resistance training aren't generally recommended for kids, and that's the main thing you see in a gym. Sports are the best way I can think of to engage kids in physical activity, and even that's a bit iffy. Things like dodgeball where you don't really require skill to have fun are the best for that.

(I'm not really sure what your point is since I don't know what the curriculum is like in ireland)
    -end of thread-

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Things like dodgeball where you don't really require skill to have fun are the best for that.
    You must have been one of the popular kids!
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    You must have been one of the popular kids!
    I was the least popular kid in my entire elementary school (not an exaggeration, it was tiny). I was very good at dodging, though.

(don't remember if we did dodgeball in HS)
    -end of thread-

Haha I loved some parts of gym class growing up. I liked running around. We had these little wheeley cart thingies you could push other kids around on, and there was a tall tall rope to climb all the way up to the ceiling (in my memory it is about 50' into the air, but I feel like that recollection is warped because of my size at the time). All of those were pure fun. I did not develop sport sense until I was much older though, in my teens, so the floor hockey/baseball/soccer components were totally lost on me. This was as a kid.

My high school had a good policy: if you played a sport or could bring a note saying that you did some type of regular exercise (dance club or whatnot) then you did not have to take PE. Sex ed was a separate course for freshmen.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    When I went to school physical education amounted to teachers bullying kids into running around a field in the wet and cold usually or handing out a ball and everyone played a game they'd play during the break if someone had brought a ball.

In short it was BS.

This is something people have talked up and talked up during the olympics here in the UK but I would take no exercise if my option was to repeat what I did at school.

Now I love the gym, I dont know why schools dont have something like that instead, I've even seen amusement arcades in which there are bicycles which are hooked up to the machine, granted they are not the most popular but they are there, something like that would have been an awesome alternative.

I think that if schools had something like this they could even offer early morning, lunch times or afterschools clubs using this equipment and it would be a different story to the my own experience.
    I don't think better facilities would make gym more appealing to those who didn't like it already (or at least who weren't into athletics of any sort.) I think the only things that would make it better is if (1) gym teachers actually knew how to train and coach fitness, and (2) if the class were divided up into fitness groups and kept largely separate so that there was less shame and general humiliation involved. If people could be made aware of their physical potential and given smaller, more achievable steps to work on (instead of being told to go run two miles in a certain time frame, and if you don't then you fail you fat fuck) then it wouldn't be such a waste of time.

My gym classes were like yours...we were made to run, do some push-ups and jump rope, and then handed a ball and told to go play dodgeball or something stupid. Sometimes we'd be made to play a "real" sport, but that was always disastrous in a general sense because only the athletic kids (boys) would ever participate. The rest would just meander about and waste away the hour. Luckily I was an athletic one, which meant that I could easily pass my stupid tests AND, like any female, got favorable treatment from the pervy male gym teachers and was able to do whatever I wanted with my time.

We didn't even have sex ed or health after the joke two-week class we were given in elementary school.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i always hated gym class. we only had to take one semester of it in high school so i got it over with the very first one of freshman year. there were a lot of really athletic jock type girls in that class and i remember them making fun of me for not being good at sports . there was this girl that kinda looked like me that was just as nonathletic and we'd always be the last two picked for all the teams.

i still don't like exercising though and i pretty much never do it. i liked wii fit though, they should just put wii fit in all the schools!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

When I think about gym in school, I remember hating it.

In Florida it's always hot and it's always sunny, so I could never catch a break. It didn't help that I wasn't as athletically inclined as other kids at my schools.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    My phys ed. was almost entirely sports, actually, with a tiny bit of nutrition and sex ed thrown in. I'm sure curriculums vary wildly based on country.

Regardless, sports in phys ed. did NOT make me love sports, in fact since we tried a billion sports for a few days each and I'm very uncoordinated, it led to me thinking sports were not something I was capable of. It took years for me to learn that this wasn't true.

Not everyone loves the gym - I doubt kids would go. I loathe the gym even knowing it's good for me, and would never ever have gone as a child. Also, weights/resistance training aren't generally recommended for kids, and that's the main thing you see in a gym. Sports are the best way I can think of to engage kids in physical activity, and even that's a bit iffy. Things like dodgeball where you don't really require skill to have fun are the best for that.

(I'm not really sure what your point is since I don't know what the curriculum is like in ireland)
    What about going back to more good old-fashioned recess? Kids just spontaneously running around and swinging on the monkey bars?

I sucked at most sports and it was made worse by the emphasis put on winning rather than just having fun.

I liked dodgeball though. That was one of the few things I was halfway decent at.

I have some bad memories of phys-ed classes. I remember when we had fitness testing and we would all get tested together and you instantly knew who did the best and who did the worst. It's like taking an academic class and having everyone's grades on public display. Of course in academic classes, you still have a fairly good sense of who the smart ones are as well of the not so smart ones. But the way they did the fitness testing had to make it so blatant.

I wasn't the worst student on the fitness tests, I was usually average or slightly below but I still didn't like that we were being put on display like that.

The worst part was when the gym teacher weighed us. We would all stand in one line and she would weigh us one by one rather than doing it privately. This was in middle school and I went through an earlier puberty than most of my peers and I was one of the heavier ones and I remember getting teased for it.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    What about going back to more good old-fashioned recess? Kids just spontaneously running around and swinging on the monkey bars?
    wait, kids don't get recess anymore? what?

plus, that only works for little kids and only in areas that can afford decent play structures, and only for kids who other kids like enough to play with. I don't remember running around in recess.....ever, actually.

I hated phys ed as much as anyone but I do think it's important to encourage physical activity in kids somehow. I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it that would actually work.
    -end of thread-