User Tag List

First 123 Last

Phys Ed/Gym was my favorite as a kid. It was a mix of sports and exercise. Mostly traditional sports, but they also had some unique competitions.. like the "Bike Rodeo". Middle School/Highschool sucked. It was a mix of wearing "regulation" gay short shorts and taking showers with other dudes. I didn't comply, so actually, my gym classes consisted of a coach making me run around a track outside until I complied.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

I didn't have to run because of my knee. I remember walking with the other nerdy kid who didn't have to run, talking about books n shit, while everyone else ran in circles.

We had a pretty good program. Units included archery (my favorite), bowling, YO-YO (I'm not kidding), tumbling, badminton, personal defense, ping pong..

I had enough difficult classes that I couldn't really complain about PE as long as I didn't have to run.
    ( . )( . )

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I don't think better facilities would make gym more appealing to those who didn't like it already (or at least who weren't into athletics of any sort.) I think the only things that would make it better is if (1) gym teachers actually knew how to train and coach fitness, and (2) if the class were divided up into fitness groups and kept largely separate so that there was less shame and general humiliation involved. If people could be made aware of their physical potential and given smaller, more achievable steps to work on (instead of being told to go run two miles in a certain time frame, and if you don't then you fail you fat fuck) then it wouldn't be such a waste of time.

My gym classes were like yours...we were made to run, do some push-ups and jump rope, and then handed a ball and told to go play dodgeball or something stupid. Sometimes we'd be made to play a "real" sport, but that was always disastrous in a general sense because only the athletic kids (boys) would ever participate. The rest would just meander about and waste away the hour. Luckily I was an athletic one, which meant that I could easily pass my stupid tests AND, like any female, got favorable treatment from the pervy male gym teachers and was able to do whatever I wanted with my time.

We didn't even have sex ed or health after the joke two-week class we were given in elementary school.
    I think the humiliation thing is a big deal, I see the gym classes I had, along with the being picked for teams business as feeding into that, on the other hand gym equipment is different, even using the gym I do now using a weights machine or cross trainer feels different to team sports

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think the humiliation thing is a big deal, I see the gym classes I had, along with the being picked for teams business as feeding into that, on the other hand gym equipment is different, even using the gym I do now using a weights machine or cross trainer feels different to team sports
    I like resistance training too, as an adult. Again, I don't think it's typically recommended to kids who are still growing? In high school yes (we did have a weights room in HS).

My teachers have generally avoided the picking for teams thing and assigned teams themselves. I guess it depends on the attitudes in your area.
    -end of thread-

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I loved gym. I wasnt much of a runner, or a great basketball player, but everything else I loved.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

i loved gym class for all the wrong reasons. i actually enjoyed weight lifting and track.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I like resistance training too, as an adult. Again, I don't think it's typically recommended to kids who are still growing? In high school yes (we did have a weights room in HS).

My teachers have generally avoided the picking for teams thing and assigned teams themselves. I guess it depends on the attitudes in your area.
    I like resistance training from as soon as I could do it, which was from about the age of fourteen, not sure if the gym should have been admitting us but whatever. I know that they had to turn us away after a while, some directive or perhaps it was complaints from subscription members, at that time you could just pay to go in and it was about two pound the same as going to the pool.

Given that muscle can offset obescity and replace fat and how much I've learned about that I think its a good idea personally. The concerns about development really could cover just about any and all activity or strenuous effort making.

I didn't like PE much as a kid. Too much team stuff, not enough skill work, no real explanation of how to build skills, speed or strength. Teachers didn't inspire any love of training in me.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I didn't like PE much as a kid. Too much team stuff, not enough skill work, no real explanation of how to build skills, speed or strength. Teachers didn't inspire any love of training in me.
    Exactly. They never made it seem like improvement was possible, nor did they provide the tools to do so. It was just some dipshit with a shitty teaching degree from a local university telling kids to get their fat asses out there and run. And even then, with the one activity we were made to do over and over, we got no instruction on technique, how to breath properly, how to stretch well beforehand...nothing. Not even basics, much less stuff on how to improve. If it hadn't been for sports, I certainly wouldn't have gained any appreciation for training, and certainly not from PE.

We even had something called a "fun run" where everybody was rallied up and made to run 2 miles on a local trail. The fit ones ran because they knew how, the non-fit ones just walked and got berated by the teachers, and the poor bastards that were unfit but tried to run in order to please the teachers inevitably passed out or sustained some sort of injury. The whole thing was disastrous.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

I was arrogant enough to think I could do anything anyways. I didn't want to be taught. That or if something was inherently fun, I'd just learn along the way.