User Tag List

12 Last

Default Income group/social class and TV or Internet use

Do you think that there is an income group/social class is reflected in how much people watch TV or use the internet?

When I say use the internet I mean in the same passive sense as watching TV, like watching Youtube, playing games, reading facebook updates, lurking on forums, that kind of thing.

WALMART

perhaps, if you look at the numbers hard enough.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

No

I do think there is a relationship between group/social class and what people watch or do on the Internet though.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

I'm just intrigued by whether or not some of the representations on TV shows of how rich and poor spend their lives are reflected in fact, in most dramatisations or reality shows of rich people they spend their time in a lot of drama and social functions but dont spend a lot of time watching TV or doing anything passive like that, on the other hand in just about any working class family on TV they're watching the TV, like the simpsons, the royale family, I think I even seen it on Scrubs.

Exceptions I think are the family in Raising Hope or King of The Hill.

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Maybe you're just watching the wrong shows. The way "reality" shows are set up make it seem like what they do/how they behave is normal even though its skewed to show drama. Scripted shows are made up, so they reflect the views of producers/writers etc.

I'm not trying to knock any genre, Big Brother, Survivor, and a ton of sitcoms are some of my favorite shows to watch. You just have to take them with a grain of salt and realize that its not exactly "real life".

Oh, and the internet is too wide open, I don't really have an opinion on that.
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    INTP

I would imagine that internet usage increases alonside income, as higher income occupations in 'post-industrial' societies tend to require extensive use of information technology.

Higher amounts of TV viewing probably correlates with lower incomes, however.

I'm sure there have already been numerous studies done on this issue, but I'm too lazy to look them up.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

tv is for senior citizens
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

My family uses the internet/watches TV a lot, and we're working class.

I don't think it means much.

If you wanted to insist on it, though, I'd say it's because lower class people are burned out by the time they get home, so they want little more to do than vegetate to just regroup. I am assuming, however, that blue collar jobs involve more manual labor and less down time than higher paying jobs. Clocking in more hours to get mo' money also exacerbates their exhaustion, making them even less likely to go out and about whenever they have time off.

I watch TV because I hate you all. And if I had a lot of money, I'd still hate you.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I watch TV because I hate you all. And if I had a lot of money, I'd still hate you.
    lol?