123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default HIV Vaccine A Bad Idea?

The other day I was talking to a doctor friend of mine about the new HIV vaccine. Since he is both a doctor (8 years of college) and a conservative church-going Christian, I wanted to see which side of him would win, the doctor side or the churchy side. So I asked him if the HIV vaccine was a good idea, and after pausing a moment (I'm guessing he didn't know about the vaccine), the Christian side of him finally won out and said, "I don't think it's a good idea."

To be fair, if he didn't know about it then I didn't really give him an opportunity to ponder the situation. I know from long experience he's thinking at that point that HIV is "the gay and drug-user" disease. And so a vaccine will protect them from the consequences of their behavior. The fact that it's also spread through blood transfusions and other non-moral, non-behavioral sources apparently didn't occur to him at that time.

Is HIV a moral, and not medical, disease? I don't think so. But for some people it has become the modern form of leprosy, although with better reasons. For in past centuries leprosy was thought to be God's punishment for some unknown sins. We know from the Christian standpoint, however, that Jesus forgives all sinners. So in the modern Christian context, God does not condemn sinners to die from horrible diseases. Treating AIDS victims does not go against God's wishes. So HIV, even from that perspective, is a medical, not a moral, condition.

I may be adding a lot to "I don't think it's a good idea" that isn't really there. But the idea that HIV is the modern leprosy does exist. I remember hearing about this at one time, from preachers and the like, but not so much any more.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

From what I understand, the vaccine won't be available for some time yet, but once it is.... if a vaccine can prevent the disease, I'm all for it. Though of course one's risk of contracting HIV is greatly if one practices safe sex and doesn't share needles, it is certainly possible to get HIV without engaging in "immoral" behavior. And even if someone does increase their risk by choosing to engage in high-risk behaviors, no one deserves to get HIV.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    From what I understand, the vaccine won't be available for some time yet, but once it is.... if a vaccine can prevent the disease, I'm all for it. Though of course one's risk of contracting HIV is greatly if one practices safe sex and doesn't share needles, it is certainly possible to get HIV without engaging in "immoral" behavior. And even if someone does increase their risk by choosing to engage in high-risk behaviors, no one deserves to get HIV.
    Does James Eagan Holmes deserve to get HIV?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    No. He deserves to go to jail for the rest of his life, but not get HIV. That would be what is called "Cruel and Unusual Punishment."
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r0GmacP9o0&feature=plcp"].[/YOUTUBE]

this is what it is and no, i dont think he deserves hiv

(what type is zaunstar?)
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

It's as bad as any other vaccine. It's cool it's available for high-risk populations but I'm not going to take it, nor give it to my kids.

No one seemed to care much about hepatitis B becoming a vaccine....and it's largely an STI/needle/worker thing. Yet we give it to babies at 6 weeks of age. Oh, the wisdom...
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

No. I knew a kid who contracted Aids. My view is coloured by that. Thier "crime" being blood transfusion dependent ( I can't remember why).
    I don't think any one deserves to die of AIDS, regardless of lifestyle. Besides my understanding is that HIV is actually more prevelant in the heterosexual community.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think your friend deserves to be injected with hiv
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I think your friend deserves to be injected with hiv
    I'm sure a lot of people think that. But no worries, he already has a disease called Huntington's. He doesn't expect to live past 45.

No, it's a great idea. I didn't realize that there was something like this in the works and I'm very glad that there is.