User Tag List

Default When dysfunction in Washington actually works to our benefit.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...ty-bill/55405/

I'm quite sure most people here know how hooked up I have been about the whole CISPA issue and its CSA counterpart (basically since early April.) In a grand fashion that can only happen in the Senate, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Civil Liberties Groups somehow made a strange combination and the bill was filibustered and amended (both related and unrelated to the bill) to death. There is still a chance that an awful bill will get past as it seems they were hellbent on passing something even though it would bring unintended negative consequences.

There is more than a few things that concern me, and that is an EO that occurred early in July while being unnoticed. That EO may have essentially done a bit of what Congress couldn't do. In the case of an emergency, it'll allow for an internet kill-switch and also allow the government to take over communications in case of that emergency. Or at least, that is the jest of part of the EO.

So... I'm holding my breath (not as tightly as I first found this mess.)
    ICANN is keeping the reigns on the internet, not the stupid U.N.
    We have unlikely allies on Congress (whether they are fighting just for reelection for fighting for the long term.)
    The internet is beginning to look like a political force for the long term.
    Tweets, facebooking, e-mails, calls, and internet action on the part of your reps do do something (maybe not for my two senators)
    ACTA is dead, and CETA is alive
    The TPP is still going on.
    The media industry is trying to create the IPAA.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Who is ICANN? How would the UN control the internet? What are you saying about a kill switch?

I'm unsure of what kind of emergency this would be used in or to what good end, is the thinking that this could some how stop a "fire sale" virus or similar attack if there was one either with the present amount of internet integration of basic services such as public amenities or greater integration still?

I presume this just is within the US limits or border?

I've read about the possibility of a state sponsored viral equivalent of an AMP pulse being used against a nation like the US targetting things like electricity or other basic amenities with plausible deniability built in, blaming some cyber criminals or terrorists (like Hans Gruber did during his heist in Die Hard), but basically knowing that if the US was a target for such a thing its well armed and paranoid citizenry could pop caps at one another and the state's forces, the resultant chaos would take some time to stabilise and in the mean time strategic deals and alliances could be struck which would leave rival states in positions of market, resource and geopolitical dominance.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

AMP? I meant EMP. Electro Magnetic Pulse. It could be as simple as a bunch of repeating logic bombs and denial of service bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Who is ICANN? How would the UN control the internet? What are you saying about a kill switch?

I'm unsure of what kind of emergency this would be used in or to what good end, is the thinking that this could some how stop a "fire sale" virus or similar attack if there was one either with the present amount of internet integration of basic services such as public amenities or greater integration still?

I presume this just is within the US limits or border?

I've read about the possibility of a state sponsored viral equivalent of an AMP pulse being used against a nation like the US targetting things like electricity or other basic amenities with plausible deniability built in, blaming some cyber criminals or terrorists (like Hans Gruber did during his heist in Die Hard), but basically knowing that if the US was a target for such a thing its well armed and paranoid citizenry could pop caps at one another and the state's forces, the resultant chaos would take some time to stabilise and in the mean time strategic deals and alliances could be struck which would leave rival states in positions of market, resource and geopolitical dominance.
    ICANN is boundary-less.
    Groups like ACTA/CETA, ITU, and TPP are also boundary-less
    The Executive Order is within U.S. bounds.
    The bills in Congress is U.S. bounds, but other countries are also working on similar legislation (like Canada's C30.) These bills, however, can affect others outside of those respective countries.

About the EO: Basically, SHUT DOWN the internet. Or rather, shut down certain parts of the U.S. internet in the case of an emergency that could happen as a result of a retaliation against something like Flame and Stuxnet. The EO also gives communication powers when it is needed or justified (just like any communication in the press.)

ICANN is the non-profit(in the U.S.) that currently helps uphold many of the things we are familiar with with the internet (or take for granted) like domain system names, IP addresses, etc. Essentially, without ICANN, we would have no internet. Before ICANN was given control of these types of tasks, the American government was in direct control of it. You shut down ICANN, you pretty much shutdown the internet.

Handing these powers to the U.N. would essentially give the U.N. (by extension, the ITU that is part of the U.N./other governments that are trying to get it handed over for better control) to control pretty much most of the internet. Keeping it on a non-profit like ICAAN will mean that no government can take total control of the internet (yes, even the U.S. government is a set of dirty hands.) Any government that want any type of influence similar to ICAAN are on a power-grab mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I am well aware of such a scenario, however, how it is gone about in Congress currently is leaving a giant chunk of negative uncertainty that is on par with such a scenario. I think, nobody would want such a scenario to happen. However, how it is going on in Congress is BAD. The power-grab that is essentially happening has left a bad taste in most people's mouth.

The White House's stance is that the U.S. need better protection for critical infrastructure and information sharing to the government and businesses. Other issues are secondary to none.

The businessman's stance is that they are unwilling to do the information sharing unless there is protection from any/all liability, they are unwilling to get regulated.

The Civil Liberties stance is that it puts a gaping hole on privacy concerns, liability concerns, etc which would make the problem even worse. Basically, how the bills are drafted at this point have a ton of negative consequences that Congress is not addressing (and they really should have) or have partially addressed. Not looking at these circumstance is increasing the problem. Some of these problems are essentially wiping out decades of privacy protections and civilian protections. The Civil Liberties will only want a civilian agency or an agency that is open (nothing like the NSA) to overlook this.