User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Iran's a Little Less Lenient With Its Immoral Bankers

Four Iranian Bankers Sentenced to Death After Major Financial Fraud

Not a big death penalty kinda guy, but I have to hand it to Iran (not something I thought I'd ever say): when some greedy asshole tries to screw everyone else over in Iran, they actually have to pay for it.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INFJ

Did they know that the punishment was so severe when they were doing it?

If they did, how can we know that it has any effect? I mean, if they knew it could mean their life, they were still obviously willing to risk it anyway.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Did they know that the punishment was so severe when they were doing it?
    My guess is no, but that's only a guess. The article seems to imply some had ties to Ahmadinejad.

And while I think the death penalty is too extreme, it is certain that this punishment (or, alternatively, just being sent to prison) at the very least prevents them from doing the same thing again. Not quite so when it comes to immoral banking practices in, for example, the US (or Britain and a few other nations. It doesn't seem like this LIBOR thing is gonna yield any real significant consequences for the folks involved from what I've read).
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    My guess is no, but that's only a guess. The article seems to imply some had ties to Ahmadinejad.

And while I think the death penalty is too extreme, it is certain that this punishment (or, alternatively, just being sent to prison) at the very least prevents them from doing the same thing again. Not quite so when it comes to immoral banking practices in, for example, the US (or Britain and a few other nations. It doesn't seem like this LIBOR thing is gonna yield any real significant consequences for the folks involved from what I've read).
    I'd agree with you that it is extreme and I wouldnt support it but I do think its a sign that political power isnt either whupped or complicit in what really amounts to a sort of rich guys class struggle.

Different to the west, mind you a lot of Islamic theocons favour some sort of financial restructuring because the Koran prohibits usury and pretty much describes all lending and financial products involving the charge of interest as such.

This existed in Europe too, the Jews were the only ones to engage in it as scripture forbade practices like this taking place between Jews not between Jews and others, ie gentiles, it is from this that some of the anti-semitism reflected in literary or cultural efforts like Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice arose, the rest of it was whipped up by the Borgias once they were able to come up with a means of loans and interest which could be frames as scripturally "lawful". There's actually a good fictionalised version of events in the novel Jack Faust.