User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default New York stereotypes

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I'm from CA, and the only people we generally severely dislike are New Yorkers, because they're assholes.
    Yeah, well ...

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Mocoso View Post
    Yeah, well ...

*chuckles*

It seems like I keep meeting people that are either from there or reside there that are really cool, but I don't get it, because I've known so many of the other type. Then again, they don't have the accent, which also throws me, because the usual stereotypical NYC asshole has a stupid accent.

The upstate ones are cool. I should have specified the city, but even then there have been random exceptions that genuinely don't sound or act anything like the people we love to hate and envision.

Is it some kind of cruel/sick joke that they expel their worst from the island?

This reminds me of a transfer I made at JFK where I met this really nice young man in the terminal. He left me completely shocked and confused because he looked and sounded just like someone from NYC, but he was polite, intelligent, treated people with respect, etc.

Still, there are too many of the other type to believe these were anything but isolated occurrences.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Then again, they don't have the accent, which also throws me, because the usual stereotypical NYC asshole has a stupid accent.

The upstate ones are cool. I should have specified the city, but even then there have been random exceptions that genuinely don't sound or act anything like the people we love to hate and envision.
    I live in "upstate", but I grew up in the city.

Is it some kind of cruel/sick joke that they expel their worst from the island?
    No, but the worst people are usually highly identifiable as being from NYC, and they're more memorable. When someone is in line next to you not acting like a dick, you don't tend to notice so much. But fear not, the New York stereotype of someone from southern California is every bit as unflattering.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Mocoso View Post
    I live in "upstate", but I grew up in the city.
    You're way too cool to have grown up there. I demand you turn in your card. They'd never accept you back, anyway.

No, but the worst people are usually highly identifiable as being from NYC, and they're more memorable. When someone is in line next to you not acting like a dick, you don't tend to notice so much.
    I work with one, though, and he definitely fits the stereotype. He's been gone for over a decade and still acts/sounds like it. There must be something to this, because there's no way so many people that act the same way could come from the same area without something in common. Maybe it's the water.

But fear not, the New York stereotype of someone from southern California is every bit as unflattering.
    They're probably just jealous that we're awesome.

I bet I don't fit our stereotype, either.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    ISFJ

You're way too cool to have grown up there. I demand you turn in your card. They'd never accept you back, anyway.
    Nah, I still get along there. I'm flying back this weekend for a visit. We're going yachting in the Hamptons. No, I don't have the "yachting in the Hamptons" accent.

I work with one, though, and he definitely fits the stereotype. He's been gone for over a decade and still acts/sounds like it. There must be something to this, because there's no way so many people that act the same way could come from the same area without something in common.
    You need to remember how many people come from that area (a ton), and how big it isn't. There is also an element of social class and experience dealing with people outside of NYC that plays into that. The stereotypical New Yorker with the thick accent is representative of the worst part of working class NYC culture. Many of them grow up never leaving NYC.

They're probably just jealous that we're awesome.
    Believe me, that's not it.

I bet I don't fit our stereotype, either.
    No. Not really. I met someone who embodied the stereotype, though. He was bagging groceries in a supermarket and he started trying to have a deep and personal conversation with me about something he'd learned in his meditation class. He was taking forever to move people through the line because he wouldn't shut up and do his job efficiently.

His concept of his actions: I am being so friendly! People like me!!!

NYC Reaction: This inconsiderate jerk is wasting everyone's time. Also, he has a stupid sounding accent like Keanu Reeves in that one movie.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I found NYC to be generally friendly when I lived there. Note the difference between friendly and warm. People don't bother you with useless niceties and fake closeness, and they don't like it when you do, either. (Fortunately, I don't fit the stereotype of the chatty Southerner, and I was happy to exist silently alongside 10 million people.) And you are expected to lead/follow/get out of the way. But if you always have a legitimate reason to be interacting with someone before you do so, and you're generally efficient in your locomotion and such, things will be pretty harmonious.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Moved from here

MBTI
    ENTP

self-centered.. always trying to derail threads until they're the center of attention
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ESFJ

New York sports fans are highly opinionated, and vary from well-informed to complete morons.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    New York sports fans are highly opinionated, and vary from well-informed to complete morons.
    Sports fans from just about everywhere seem to be like this also.