User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    As far as I know, the worst sports fan ratio is in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

The wait time for season tickets is 35 years, so many people designate recipients for them in their wills or put newborn babies on the waiting list.

Then there's the story about the female fan who had a heart attack during a game and waited until the end to go to the hospital.

(yes I'm deliberately derailing this topic back to the midwest)
    They don't sound like bad sports fans at all. They sound like die-hards. I applaud them. And the stadium should have defibrillators handy in this day and age.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

My father was born and raised in Astoria, and his side of the family is from the area. He speaks at two volume levels, on and off, and is remarkably skilled at making use of his surroundings.

The general characteristic reflects practicality and impersonality: too many things to accomplish and too many people to invest such a limited commodity as time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I found NYC to be generally friendly when I lived there.
    In 1999, in the city for a cousin's wedding over in Wayne, NJ, I noticed pedestrians and subway riders acting with the same courtesy absent in New England brats living in the place from where I had come -- Syracuse University.

MBTI
    ENTP

i lived in nyc for 5.5 years or so (okay, 4 were spent across the river in hoboken). The biggest problem these days are people moving from the middle of nowhere and reinventing themselves to who they think tehy should be or simply expecting the city to transform to what their special place in nowhere was like, ignoring the fact that over 10 million people lvie in the boros. People have this vision of the city from the 70s and 80s films, but all of the colorful people have been priced out. The replacements have been overbearing suburban yuppies.

The pace is loud and fast, but only because these unfortunate people have to compete with the noise everything else to be heard and the city is one of the ultimate rat races. Work like a dog for a piece of shit apartment? Yup, thats ny. I dont anyone is rude, but simply has a constant layer of stress that makes them defensive. I moved to europe and it is always funny meeting people from there over here where they can let their guard down in some ways.

my ny stereotype is that there is a starbucks or duane reade on every corner in manhattan

I find it ironic that New Yorkers are stereotyped as one of the capitals of soft headed bleeding heart liberalism; but also known as rude assholes.

The Midwest and the South are known for hospitality and politeness but are predominantly red states who are typically homophobic and known for resisting integration and the civil rights act of 1964.

I find a lot of the politeness I've experienced in other places kind of fake; whereas at least I know where I stand with a typical New Yorker; but maybe I've been living here too long and just turned into an asshole and can't tell the difference anymore.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

New York's not known for soft-headed bleeding heart liberalism as much as hard-nosed and pragmatic "mind your own business" liberalism.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    The Midwest and the South are known for hospitality and politeness but are predominantly red states who are typically homophobic and known for resisting integration and the civil rights act of 1964.
    Midwest is a "purple region" over all.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    New York's not known for soft-headed bleeding heart liberalism as much as hard-nosed and pragmatic "mind your own business" liberalism.
    I don't think "mind-your-own-business liberalism" when I think "New York City." I think "nanny-state bureaucracy," as I do with most major cities.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    'Mind your own business' liberalism? That's an oxymoron, unless you're talking about classical liberalism, which New York is anything but...banning trans fats? That's in-your-face nanny state government.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

The above posters don't seem to have heard of many other New York stereotypes.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    I find it ironic that New Yorkers are stereotyped as one of the capitals of soft headed bleeding heart liberalism; but also known as rude assholes.
    I don't.

I don't wanna!