User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Default Awkward American Moments (Olympics)

The biggest one for me:

Winning athletes bringing up God.

*cringe*

Anyone else notice anything?
    ( . )( . )

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    The biggest one for me:

Winning athletes bringing up God.

*cringe*

Anyone else notice anything?
    Er, what?

I didnt see that and even if I did I wouldnt consider it an awkward moment, roughly how much of the world do you think is on message with the secular atheism of American liberalism?

MBTI
    yupp

people in the us tend to be very secular atheist are still in the minority so it's not uncommon for celebs to mention god, that's not awkward
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Isn't it awkward if I think it's awkward? Yes. That is a subjective thing.

I live in the bay area and we are a bit spoiled here. It just threw me when I saw an American win their gold and the first words out of their mouth is something like, "I give the glory to God and his blessings rain on me." Knowing all the world is watching.. Just made me cringe.

You don't have to be "on message with the secular atheism of American liberalism" to think that it's awkward. Many of my European friends, even religious ones, found it to be extremely awkward.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Lol, it can seem kind of cheesy, but it's pretty subjective, like you said. I mean, for all we know, the runner's faith really motivated them and inspired them.

Oh, and all those sexy, sexy olympic orgies. Those as well.

But I don't think it's weird. I feel like someone from any other country could say that and I wouldn't feel uncomfortable with them, Christian or not.

Certain traditions in America encourage a lot of vocal testimony, I guess. I could see how that's different than even many European religious people, who are bit more old school. Secondly, a lot of American evangelicals have a persecution complex, as if they are in 1st century Rome, and all hell has broken loose in culture, and they might be fed to the lions at any moment. So it's up to them to save it and "TESTIFY!!" when they get the chance.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Certain traditions in America encourage a lot of vocal testimony, I guess. I could see how that's different than even many European religious people, who are bit more old school. Secondly, a lot of American evangelicals have a persecution complex, as if they are in 1st century Rome, and all hell has broken loose in culture, and they might be fed to the lions at any moment. So it's up to them to save it and "TESTIFY!!" when they get the chance.
    Yes! It's just a bit IN YOUR FACE... is what I'm saying. After a moment I was fine, but at first I was like "OH!?" I would say it is a very American thing to do. My friend is visiting from Poland, which is heavily Catholic, and she said she felt it was weird that Americans kept saying "God Bless" to her.
    ( . )( . )

They're not proselytizing, so I don't see why an earnest expression of gratitude should be "awkward".

I have my doubts as to whether this thread was meant to explore awkward American moments in general rather than this particular moment, anyway.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Er, what?

I didnt see that and even if I did I wouldnt consider it an awkward moment, roughly how much of the world do you think is on message with the secular atheism of American liberalism?

lol, infp's

MBTI
    INTP

Was she thanking God for allowing her a chance, or thanking 'Him' for making her win? That's the difference maker for me.