User Tag List

First 123

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    My feelings towards God and America are irrelevant.

I was simply stating my reaction to a professional American athlete representing themselves and my country on an international stage by immediately talking about God. I cringed. It was awkward for me. That's really as far as that goes. There's really no point in arguing with me about whether or not I should have reacted that way. It's happened already and that was my reaction.
    Seemed to be the point of the thread, and, er, the rest of your post here.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Most of the people I know who are Americans make it a sort of pseudo-religious experience about thanks. They take it pretty seriously.
    If the Americans you know make it religious it's because they make it religious. It's not a religious holiday at all.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    If the Americans you know make it religious it's because they make it religious. It's not a religious holiday at all.
    I thought it was about the puritan colonists giving thanks to both the natives and god for having the food to eat to save them from starvation.

Anew Leaf

My feelings towards God and America are irrelevant.

I was simply stating my reaction to a professional American athlete representing themselves and my country on an international stage by immediately talking about God. I cringed. It was awkward for me. That's really as far as that goes. There's really no point in arguing with me about whether or not I should have reacted that way. It's happened already and that was my reaction.
    If they were truly irrelevant, then there wouldn't be this thread.

I don't understand what the big deal is. The girl is 16 and left home to live gymnastics every day from the time she was 14. She also just won two gold medals. I didn't hear her say anything like "everyone praise Jesus with me now!!". I thought she was quite respectful and mature for her age.

It's clear that this thread isnt about moments in general but just this one. At least own up to it.

The biggest one for me:

Winning athletes bringing up God.

*cringe*

Anyone else notice anything?
    So where is the problem? I am a European believer and I would thank God if I had just won two gold medals. She is free to thank whoever she wants to, that's the very least she should be allowed to do.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    If they were truly irrelevant, then there wouldn't be this thread.

I don't understand what the big deal is. The girl is 16 and left home to live gymnastics every day from the time she was 14. She also just won two gold medals. I didn't hear her say anything like "everyone praise Jesus with me now!!". I thought she was quite respectful and mature for her age.

It's clear that this thread isnt about moments in general but just this one. At least own up to it.
    Can't a girl just share her experience without getting deconstructed? Sheesh.. you guys are brutal. I didn't say it was right or wrong. I was simply sharing my reaction, as I've stated now a few times.

I'm not going to "own up to" your perception of my intentions. That's just ridiculous. I know my own intentions. I would love to hear your opinion on strange American moments in the Olympics, even the moment I brought up, but don't try to tell me what's in my own damn head and how I should or shouldn't feel. I would prefer if you respected my opinions.

And fyi, the thread is what you all make of it. Everyone who has posted after my OP has had a hand in the direction of this thread. Own up to that.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    So where is the problem? I am a European believer and I would thank God if I had just won two gold medals. She is free to thank whoever she wants to, that's the very least she should be allowed to do.
    I don't necessarily see it as a problem. Personally, I was taken aback, not because of her beliefs, but because it brought back a lot of memories of my experience with religious culture in the USA. As I said, I have been the in bay area so long that I was kind of used to not hearing stuff like that. I do agree with you that she is should be allowed to express herself freely.
    ( . )( . )

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

This thread is pretty awkward.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Yes! Thank you! What exactly would the Olympus be? Is the Olympus the record of most medals?
    The highest mountain in Greece. An awful metaphor, overall.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    The highest mountain in Greece. An awful metaphor, overall.
    I know that, silly! I mean... what would be the equivalent of Mount Olympus in the athletics metaphor.
    ( . )( . )