User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post

I have my doubts as to whether this thread was meant to explore awkward American moments in general rather than this particular moment, anyway.
    Sincerely interested in what others found awkward.. This was just one I found awkward PERSONALLY. There's really no should or shouldn't involved. My reaction.
    ( . )( . )

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Given that America's major holiday, rivalling Christmase even, is Thanks Giving I dont see how this would be awkward at all.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

It was more funny than awkward, but I laughed at the commentator's narration when Phelps was about to win the gold medal but then made a mistake and won a silver medal instead. The (Brazilian) commentator was like ''IT'S THE LEGEND, MICHAEL PHELPS, HE'S GOING FOR ANOTHER GOLD MEDAL. HE'S GONNA REACH THE OLYMPUS!!!!''
    Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Given that America's major holiday, rivalling Christmase even, is Thanks Giving I dont see how this would be awkward at all.
    I don't know anyone who makes Thanksgiving a religious experience.

Unless you count the turkey god.

@OP.. I actually haven't seen much of the Olympics..

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Thanksgiving? So because we have a day on which we all become gluttons it wouldn't be strange to present yourself internationally and professionally by praising God? Are you saying because we have Thanksgiving it shouldn't be awkward that the athletes thank God? Thanksgiving is hardly a day that Americans spend being thankful anymore... if ever. Just as most Americans don't spend Christmas celebrating Jesus' birth.

Edit: There I go being ignorant of the middle states again. Correction.. Just as many Americans don't spend Christmas bla blah blah
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I don't know anyone who makes Thanksgiving a religious experience.

Unless you count the turkey god.

@OP.. I actually haven't seen much of the Olympics..
    Most of the people I know who are Americans make it a sort of pseudo-religious experience about thanks. They take it pretty seriously.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    It was more funny than awkward, but I laughed at the commentator's narration when Phelps was about to win the gold medal but then made a mistake and won a silver medal instead. The (Brazilian) commentator was like ''IT'S THE LEGEND, MICHAEL PHELPS, HE'S GOING FOR ANOTHER GOLD MEDAL. HE'S GONNA REACH THE OLYMPUS!!!!''
    Fail.
    Yes! Thank you! What exactly would the Olympus be? Is the Olympus the record of most medals? If so, I guess Phelps has reached the Olympus.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Thanksgiving? So because we have a day on which we all become gluttons it wouldn't be strange to present yourself internationally and professionally by praising God? Are you saying because we have Thanksgiving it shouldn't be awkward that the athletes thank God? Thanksgiving is hardly a day that Americans spend being thankful anymore... if ever. Just as most Americans don't spend Christmas celebrating Jesus' birth.
    Alright so you hate America aswell as God, you must really like sports to be watching the Olympics in the first place.

Most of the people I know who are Americans make it a sort of pseudo-religious experience about thanks. They take it pretty seriously.
    Pseudo religious is an entirely different thing though. Even I might say the same. I already try to be grateful as it is (if anything, for my own insanity), but it's a good day to think about it more. Except it's all in my head. No one knows about my pseudo religion (until now).

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Alright so you hate America aswell as God, you must really like sports to be watching the Olympics in the first place.
    My feelings towards God and America are irrelevant.

I was simply stating my reaction to a professional American athlete representing themselves and my country on an international stage by immediately talking about God. I cringed. It was awkward for me. That's really as far as that goes. There's really no point in arguing with me about whether or not I should have reacted that way. It's happened already and that was my reaction.
    ( . )( . )