User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Victor, you remind me of another person on another forum. That person was also illogical and had a warped perception of society. Almost all of these individuals such as yourself have a dissatisfaction with their own lives which causes them to hate and blame another group of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    His preferred scenario is healing people against their will, especially women.
    Perfect. And he's adopted the philosophies of his enemy (manifest destiny and American exceptionalism) and co-opted them for himself!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    prostitutes have been models for many masterpeices. Caravaggio caused controversy by hiring a prostitute to model as the virgin Mary. This doesn't mean that the work is directly dealing with prostitution or trying to denigrate the subject of the final image.
    Most sensible post so far.

That the model for the statue of the goddess of liberty was a prostitute does not surprise me. It also has zero impact on the intended meaning of the statue. And the intended meaning of the statue does not necessarily have to be the same it has today. As others have said: a symbol requires a perceiver to read it.

What I get from all this talk: They wanted to produce a statue of liberty (might as wll have been reason or another secular value) and put it up infront of or inside the cathedral as a secular challenge to the Catholic church of their time. Not much wrong with that, if you ask me. When they gave a copy of the statue to the USA that was a gesture of friendship between free (and more or less laicistic) nations. Once in America it developed a meaning of its own as one of the first things immigrants saw upon arriving, etc. At that point the French roots became irrelevant.
    It became a symbol of all that America seemed to promise more than a symbol of abstract global liberty. And it was a symbol of liberty more than a symbol of secularism (which the French one might have been in part at some point in history).

The profession of the modell however was irrelevant, is irrelevant and probably will remain irrelevant.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Perfect. And he's adopted the philosophies of his enemy (manifest destiny and American exceptionalism) and co-opted them for himself!
    So true.. I hadn't thought of that. It really is hard to see any of Victor's posts as anything but an attempt at a propaganda campaign, which is ironically what he accuses other people of buying into when they disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    In February, 2012, Pussy Riot, the Russian girl band, entered Moscow's largest church, Christ the Saviour Cathedral, danced, sang and prayed to the Virgin Mary to rid them of President Putin.

But notice Pussy Riot did not ask the Statue of Liberty to rid them of Putin, because the Statue of Liberty is a calculated insult to the Virgin Mary, the Mother of God.

Yes, the Statue of Liberty is a copy of statue of a prostitute enthroned in Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, France, to mock the Virgin Mary.

But the most fascinating thing is that no American child is ever told that the Statue of Liberty mocks the Virgin Mary.
    I'm pretty sure that I've read you posting about this before, I know the story at least.

What is the point this time though Victor? Is it a good thing to mock the virgin Mary or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    So true.. I hadn't thought of that. It really is hard to see any of Victor's posts as anything but an attempt at a propaganda campaign, which is ironically what he accuses other people of buying into when they disagree.
    I sort of see them as an accurate reproduction of whatever Australian tabloids have headlined this morning.

I mean when he's not trying to worry groups of Nuns. Talk about your soft targets.

[YOUTUBE="NrmPehlHK3w"]ualuealuealeuale[/YOUTUBE]

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What is the point this time though Victor? Is it a good thing to mock the virgin Mary or not?
    Why did Pussy Riot pray to the Virgin Mary rather than the Statue of Liberty to free them from President Putin?

Pussy Riot are fair dinkum about getting rid of Putin, and so they prayed to the fair dinkum Virgin Mary. Pussy Riot didn't pray to the Statue of Liberty because the Statue is an imitation Virgin Mary, an ersatz Virgin Mary, the kind of Virgin Mary you have when you are not having any Virgin Mary.

MBTI
    XXFP

I heard there was a pussy riot because the pussy cartel was artificially keeping the price of pussy (PoP) inflated while there are serious shortages in some of the most demand critical sectors.

Tie the statue of liberty into this, i'll be impressed.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Sense and Sensibility

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Most sensible post so far.
    At the back of our eye is the optic nerve. And the optic nerve sees nothing, so there is a big black hole in our vision all the time, following the movements of our eyes. Fortunately we don't see with our eyes, rather we see with our brain. And our brain fills in the two black spots and gives us the illusion of a seamless reality.

And this gives us the clue of how we can escape from reality. All our brain has to do is to see the crack in reality. The crack appears every now and then, perhaps because of social change, or war, or because of our personal circumstances. And the question then arises - what do we do? Do we ignore the warnings of our mother and step on through to the other side, or do we pass by on the other side of the road?

Perhaps it is wise to practise first. So we all see the Statue of Liberty as the embodiment of freedom, and yet, once again ignoring the warnings of our mother, we can see the Statue as the deliberate embodiment of bigotry.

And as freedom and bigotry fight one another in our mind, a dark crack opens in reality.

So should we scuttle back behind our mother's skirt, or should we step on through to the other side?

Step on through, step on through to the other side - ah sensible Herring, don't you dare accuse me of being too intimate!