User Tag List

123 Last

WALMART

Default the human condition

i always hear talk about the degradation of the human race, the increased levels of pain and suffering, the disconnection of mind from body, that we're facing certain doom in the coming century.... i'm sure one could go on forever recanting the ways we are losing ourselves.

i cannot help but feel those that take this stance are severely undermining human history. comments that particularly irk me are ones that speak of the future with mankind out of the picture.

it seems so naive... maybe i am the naive one?

i realize the subject is likely well beyond the scope of what can be done in this thread, but what do you think?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

THE ONWARD MOVEMENT OF MAN—THE ENERGY OF THE MOVEMENT—THE THREE WAYS OF INCREASING HUMAN ENERGY.

Of all the endless variety of phenomena which nature presents to our senses, there is none that fills our minds with greater wonder than that inconceivably complex movement which, in its entirety, we designate as human life; Its mysterious origin is veiled in the forever impenetrable mist of the past, its character is rendered incomprehensible by its infinite intricacy, and its destination is hidden in the unfathomable depths of the future. Whence does it come? What is it? Whither does it tend? are the great questions which the sages of all times have endeavored to answer.

Modern science says: The sun is the past, the earth is the present, the moon is the future. From an incandescent mass we have originated, and into a frozen mass we shall turn. Merciless is the law of nature, and rapidly and irresistibly we are drawn to our doom. Lord Kelvin, in his profound meditations, allows us only a short span of life, something like six million years, after which time the suns bright light will have ceased to shine, and its life giving heat will have ebbed away, and our own earth will be a lump of ice, hurrying on through the eternal night. But do not let us despair. There will still be left upon it a glimmering spark of life, and there will be a chance to kindle a new fire on some distant star. This wonderful possibility seems, indeed, to exist, judging from Professor Dewar's beautiful experiments with liquid air, which show that germs of organic life are not destroyed by cold, no matter how intense; consequently they may be transmitted through the interstellar space. Meanwhile the cheering lights of science and art, ever increasing in intensity, illuminate our path, and marvels they disclose, and the enjoyments they offer, make us measurably forgetful of the gloomy future.

Though we may never be able to comprehend human life, we know certainly that it is a movement, of whatever nature it be. The existence of movement unavoidably implies a body which is being moved and a force which is moving it. Hence, wherever there is life, there is a mass moved by a force. All mass possesses inertia, all force tends to persist. Owing to this universal property and condition, a body, be it at rest or in motion, tends to remain in the same state, and a force, manifesting itself anywhere and through whatever cause, produces an equivalent opposing force, and as an absolute necessity of this it follows that every movement in nature must be rhythmical. Long ago this simple truth was clearly pointed out by Herbert Spencer, who arrived at it through a somewhat different process of reasoning. It is borne out in everything we perceive—in the movement of a planet, in the surging and ebbing of the tide, in the reverberations of the air, the swinging of a pendulum, the oscillations of an electric current, and in the infinitely varied phenomena of organic life. Does not the whole of human life attest to it? Birth, growth, old age, and death of an individual, family, race, or nation, what is it all but a rhythm? All life-manifestation, then, even in its most intricate form, as exemplified in man, however involved and inscrutable, is only a movement, to which the same general laws of movement which govern throughout the physical universe must be applicable.
    Source - http://www.tfcbooks.com/tesla/1900-06-00.htm

If Tesla had been successful in the early part of the 20th Century with Wardenclyffe, and humanity had proceeded on the road to Utopia, by now in the 21st Century...we would be warping ourselves in saucers at the speed of light. Our heightened technology would have drastically raised our consciousness. There could have been another path traveled where there were NO WORLD WARS! Humanity did not have to be plunged into wars somewhere on the planet decade after decade. Technology could have solved the problems of conflict, greed and chaos. People should have had and presently have a much higher standard of Life. We have all been robbed of a technical, material paradise and very few people are aware of it.
    Source - http://www.world-mysteries.com/doug_teslat.htm

Those are some articles on a grand cosmic vision of the future that will be wrought in another generation.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    i always hear talk about the degradation of the human race, the increased levels of pain and suffering, the disconnection of mind from body, that we're facing certain doom in the coming century.... i'm sure one could go on forever recanting the ways we are losing ourselves.

i cannot help but feel those that take this stance are severely undermining human history. comments that particularly irk me are ones that speak of the future with mankind out of the picture.

it seems so naive... maybe i am the naive one?

i realize the subject is likely well beyond the scope of what can be done in this thread, but what do you think?
    It is because we are too connected... there is such thing as too much of a good thing, lol.

In a world where it takes only a few seconds to send information from one place to another, it is vastly different from three centuries ago.

Anyways, I vote for an zombie apocalypse.
    It would be the most grand way to fear the end!

Smile Happy Birthday, for 3,800,000,000 Years.

The human condition is the condition of all life on Earth for the last three and a half thousand million years.

We are all part of the same web of life from the first one celled animal to the trillion cells that make up you and me. And not only are we a trillion cells but we harbour many more than a trillion bacteria that are essential to our life.

So the human condition is the condition of DNA that has a life of three and a half thousand million years.

So how old are you?

You are three and half thousand million years old.

Happy birthday, may you have many more.

Ginkgo

It seems to be part of the human condition to imagine a utopia where the human condition is irrelevant.

MBTI
    INFJ

Problem is that there didn't used to be as many people.

The world population increased from just 1 billion in 1800 to 2 billion around 1900. In the most recent 100 years it has increased to 7 billion.

Growth has gone immediately from a mostly flat curve to a near vertical curve. Much of the world is now occupied.

History shows that there are cycles which humanity goes through, and they tend to repeat. Things often changed through disaster or upheaval, but at this point disaster or upheaval in populations will effect very large and significant portions of the world.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    It's just the 'good old days' syndrome. Everyone will eventually suffer from it as they age.

Humans have always been humans -- I'm optimistic and I would like to think that we have moved a little bit forward from our pre-historic days
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Problem is that there didn't used to be as many people.

The world population increased from just 1 billion in 1800 to 2 billion around 1900. In the most recent 100 years it has increased to 7 billion.

Growth has gone immediately from a mostly flat curve to a near vertical curve. Much of the world is now occupied.

History shows that there are cycles which humanity goes through, and they tend to repeat. Things often changed through disaster or upheaval, but at this point disaster or upheaval in populations will effect very large and significant portions of the world.
    Yeah we've had an approximate 3 billion increase just in my own life time. It's pretty creepy, someone is going to have to die. It's nature's way of balancing itself; over-population tends to lead to disease and war, but we have so many treatments against disease and some idealists are so opposed to war that I'd like to know what exactly they think we're going to do.

There's too many people, and that's stressful. However, I tend to think that people who at least live a more normal-paced life (as opposed to being caught up in the "rat race") are probably overall mentally healthier than what the OP is referring to, and yeah I do think that rat race mentality can and probably will end humans eventually without some of us less ambitious, environmental, new agey people hanging out planning genocide.

Yeah, I know, that makes no sense; I talk about preserving humanity and the quality of human life in one breath, and how people are going to have to die in another, but I'm not entirely sure that the world as it is, is currently sustainable.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Things often changed through disaster or upheaval, but at this point disaster or upheaval in populations will effect very large and significant portions of the world.
    You know, re-reading your post it just occurred to me that natural disaster i.e. "the earth fighting back" will probably be what takes care of the overpopulation problem.

WALMART

The world is plenty sustainable, I do not envision overpopulation ever being a problem in the future.

I'm also just a guy.