User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 32

  1. #11
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,568

    Default

    I can understand the purpose of cities, but do not enjoy being in them. Too many people, too much noise, usually expensive, everything too close about. I enjoy visits to old historic cities, but am quite happy to return home.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  2. #12
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    I love cities!! The major cities I've been to:

    Minneapolis/St Paul is, of course, the best city in the entire world.
    Phoenix - Ick
    San Francisco - Beautiful, but I didn't like it was much as I expected. Too cold!
    LA - I actually love LA. So many different interesting neighborhoods, so much going on.
    Orlando - Meh. The theme parks can be kind of fun, I guess, but other than that, I could skip it.
    Honolulu - Don't remember much about it. Who goes to Hawaii for the cities?
    Boston - I liked it a lot. Waterfront, good public transport, big city with lots of culture and history, and just enough grittiness.
    Vegas - Hate it. All the over-the-top Capitalist wet dream hotels gross me out, there's nothing to do but gamble, drink, eat at expensive restaurants, and see superficial, sensationalized shows with no meaningful content whatsoever. To me, the tone of the city is set by all the replica monuments-- fake Eiffel tower, fake canal/gondola rides, fake Statue of Liberty, fake people, fake life, fake fake fake. (Sorry to anyone who lives there. My brother lives there and I love him to death, but I really do not like Vegas! )
    Santa Fe - I really did not enjoy Santa Fe. I always thought I would really like it, but I thought the adobe style throughout the city was a bit dull, and all the shops and restaurants were way too upscale for me.
    Cleveland - Ick.
    Philly - Liked it. Nice combination of history and gritty city feel. Wouldn't want to live there, but I liked visiting it.
    DC - I like it. Lots to do, some really cool history. Easy to get around. But very touristy and a bit too "GO USA!" for me sometimes.
    Paris - Who doesn't love Paris? So much do to, the awesome Metro... it's probably not in my Top 5, but I do like it a lot.
    Barcelona - Beautiful. Loved it. I was super sick when I was there and could barely eat anything, but still had fun. Gaudi influence and Catalan make it something really special.
    Sydney - I was only ever there after dark, but it's a beautiful place. I thought I would like Melbourne more, but I probably liked Sydney more, just for the beautiful harbor, ferries, and the old part of town is really well preserved.
    Melbourne - I liked Melbourne a lot, but not as much as I expected I would, given that it's known for kind of its artsy, alternative, cultural feel. Bus system is okay; biking is a great way to get around.
    Auckland - Auckland was okay. My favorite part about it was the ocean front. The University is also quite nice, but mostly the city felt too business-y for me.
    Wellington - Absolutely adore Wellington! Another for the Top 5. Very artsy, on the water, lots of boats. Really good museums.
    Munich - Was there in high school. Don't remember much about it, but I do remember not loving it. Felt very gray and concrete to me, but maybe that's because it was also overcast when we were there. Might like it more if I went back again, but I think next time I go to Germany I'd rather go to Berlin.
    Venice - Liked it a lot. Was there for the Carnivale, which was very fun and beautiful and amazing, but I'd like to see it sometime on a normal day. Love the canals and gondolas, plus delicious coffee! And water taxis!
    Moscow - Another city probably in my top 5. I was there in December, so it was cold and dark and snowy and I LOVED it. Went to the circus, Red Square/Kremlin, everything was decorated for New Years/Christmas. The subway system is fantastic, lots to do, and I got around using my Russian.
    Copenhagen - Love Copenhagen. Easily in the my top 5 favorite cities. Probably number 2. Lots of boats, good/easy public transit and also very walkable, very green, super nice people, on the ocean.
    Amsterdam - ADORE Amsterdam. Excellent public transportation, bikes , delicious food from all over the world, canals, on the ocean... I've been there thrice, all 3 times went to the Anne Frank house, which is emotional and amazing every time. Once was there for the big Queen's Day celebration, which was awesome. Probably my favorite city ever.
    Brussels - my camera was stolen and I couldn't figure out the tram system. Couldn't find any of the museums we were looking for. Hated it.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  3. #13
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    I love cities!! The major cities I've been to:

    Minneapolis/St Paul is, of course, the best city in the entire world.


    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Phoenix - Ick
    San Francisco - Beautiful, but I didn't like it was much as I expected. Too cold!
    LA - I actually love LA. So many different interesting neighborhoods, so much going on.
    Orlando - Meh. The theme parks can be kind of fun, I guess, but other than that, I could skip it.
    Honolulu - Don't remember much about it. Who goes to Hawaii for the cities?
    Boston - I liked it a lot. Waterfront, good public transport, big city with lots of culture and history, and just enough grittiness.
    Vegas - Hate it. All the over-the-top Capitalist wet dream hotels gross me out, there's nothing to do but gamble, drink, eat at expensive restaurants, and see superficial, sensationalized shows with no meaningful content whatsoever. To me, the tone of the city is set by all the replica monuments-- fake Eiffel tower, fake canal/gondola rides, fake Statue of Liberty, fake people, fake life, fake fake fake. (Sorry to anyone who lives there. My brother lives there and I love him to death, but I really do not like Vegas! )
    Santa Fe - I really did not enjoy Santa Fe. I always thought I would really like it, but I thought the adobe style throughout the city was a bit dull, and all the shops and restaurants were way too upscale for me.
    Cleveland - Ick.
    Philly - Liked it. Nice combination of history and gritty city feel. Wouldn't want to live there, but I liked visiting it.
    DC - I like it. Lots to do, some really cool history. Easy to get around. But very touristy and a bit too "GO USA!" for me sometimes.
    Paris - Who doesn't love Paris? So much do to, the awesome Metro... it's probably not in my Top 5, but I do like it a lot.
    Barcelona - Beautiful. Loved it. I was super sick when I was there and could barely eat anything, but still had fun. Gaudi influence and Catalan make it something really special.
    Sydney - I was only ever there after dark, but it's a beautiful place. I thought I would like Melbourne more, but I probably liked Sydney more, just for the beautiful harbor, ferries, and the old part of town is really well preserved.
    Melbourne - I liked Melbourne a lot, but not as much as I expected I would, given that it's known for kind of its artsy, alternative, cultural feel. Bus system is okay; biking is a great way to get around.
    Auckland - Auckland was okay. My favorite part about it was the ocean front. The University is also quite nice, but mostly the city felt too business-y for me.
    Wellington - Absolutely adore Wellington! Another for the Top 5. Very artsy, on the water, lots of boats. Really good museums.
    Munich - Was there in high school. Don't remember much about it, but I do remember not loving it. Felt very gray and concrete to me, but maybe that's because it was also overcast when we were there. Might like it more if I went back again, but I think next time I go to Germany I'd rather go to Berlin.
    Venice - Liked it a lot. Was there for the Carnivale, which was very fun and beautiful and amazing, but I'd like to see it sometime on a normal day. Love the canals and gondolas, plus delicious coffee! And water taxis!
    Moscow - Another city probably in my top 5. I was there in December, so it was cold and dark and snowy and I LOVED it. Went to the circus, Red Square/Kremlin, everything was decorated for New Years/Christmas. The subway system is fantastic, lots to do, and I got around using my Russian.
    Copenhagen - Love Copenhagen. Easily in the my top 5 favorite cities. Probably number 2. Lots of boats, good/easy public transit and also very walkable, very green, super nice people, on the ocean.
    Amsterdam - ADORE Amsterdam. Excellent public transportation, bikes , delicious food from all over the world, canals, on the ocean... I've been there thrice, all 3 times went to the Anne Frank house, which is emotional and amazing every time. Once was there for the big Queen's Day celebration, which was awesome. Probably my favorite city ever.
    Brussels - my camera was stolen and I couldn't figure out the tram system. Couldn't find any of the museums we were looking for. Hated it.
    Wow! You are well traveled. I'm impressed.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  4. #14
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Technically I shouldn't count them as one, but I kinda do... one metro area, 2 nuclei. And I love them both!

    Wow! You are well traveled. I'm impressed.
    Thanks. A good part of it is due to my work.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  5. #15
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    San Francisco - Beautiful, but I didn't like it was much as I expected. Too cold!
    It's not as cold as Minnesota.

    Vegas - Hate it. All the over-the-top Capitalist wet dream hotels gross me out, there's nothing to do but gamble, drink, eat at expensive restaurants, and see superficial, sensationalized shows with no meaningful content whatsoever. To me, the tone of the city is set by all the replica monuments-- fake Eiffel tower, fake canal/gondola rides, fake Statue of Liberty, fake people, fake life, fake fake fake. (Sorry to anyone who lives there. My brother lives there and I love him to death, but I really do not like Vegas! )
    You should try Carson City. It's very authentic and run-of-the-mill.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

  6. #16
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    It's not as cold as Minnesota.
    Ridiculous, huh? I was wondering if anyone would comment on that. But the thing about Minnesota is I expect it to be cold-- in the winter. So I dress accordingly. I was in SF in the summertime, and it was way colder than what I was prepared for. (It gets quite hot in MN in the summer. We've had like 25 days of 90+ degree weather with 60-70% humidity this year.)

    You should try Carson City. It's very authentic and run-of-the-mill.
    Actually, I've been to Carson City! It was when I was a child so I don't remember much about it, but from what I recall it's much better than Vegas.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  7. #17
    Just a statistic rhinosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    The more places I visit, the more I'm convinced that a city (>500k people) is the right option for me. I prefer them over small towns. Ideally it would have some remote wilderness outdoor area within less than a 2-hour drive.

    Here are the places that I've visited. I haven't lived in most of them, so perhaps my opinion is biased. Organized roughly by geographical location.

    ===============================================

    Anchorage was interesting. It was more of a town than a city, but the surrounding area was incredible. Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do there.

    Seattle quiet and gentle-- almost sleepy. Nothing there was really grating to the senses like you can get in some other places, but nothing also very exciting. Supposedly there are lots of outdoor activities in the area, though I never left the city since I didn't have a car for that trip. The bus system was good.

    Bay Area, California was crowded. There are people everywhere, and the sprawl is ridiculous. Sure, you can get around by walking in San Francisco proper, but if you live anywhere else in the Bay Area you've got to use a car. All the nice backcountry areas in the Sierras are a long drive from the cities.

    Reno is not bad. It reminds me a bit of Anchorage, actually. It's like a small town with tons of outdoorsy things to do in the outskirts. The river park is a bit small, but it's nice. The casinos are not as nice as Las Vegas, but I'm not big on gambling. The climate is great, and I love the Sierras.

    Las Vegas is a nice place to visit. Wouldn't want to live there. There are outdoorsy things to do but they are not as high quality as in Reno. While the casinos and shopping malls are very nice, the rest of the city is kind of a dump.

    Philadelphia was nice, and there's lots of stuff to do, but there don't seem to be many outdoorsy places to escape the city. Very flat terrain and I probably would be hesitant to swim in the river. Hot as hell in the summer, with not many places to escape the heat besides going indoors.

    Newark, DE took me by surprise. Driving into it, it feels like a very small town, but really it's just dense. Everything is within walking distance. The supermarkets sucked though, and the food was overpriced (except for blueberries).

    Washington, DC and surrounding areas-- Lots of highways and lots of traffic. Some areas like Old Town Alexandria are really nice. Lots of museums in the city, and special events on holidays. There are outdoor opportunities relatively close. I probably wouldn't mind living there but it wouldn't be my first choice.

    Raleigh is not bad. The restaurants here are quite good. The beach is 3-4 hours away, and so are the mountains (I wish one or the other was closer, but it's manageable). Most places here are within biking distance, but there is a lot of sprawl. The public transportation sucks really bad except for the NCSU Wolfline and the downtown loop bus. On a given night you can usually find something to do, if you aren't too picky. Durham and Chapel Hill are close, and have slightly different "flavors" than Raleigh. Chapel Hill is a self-absorbed college town with lots of bars and clubs, Durham is a bit less developed with a number of great restaurants.

    Asheville, NC is a small city. A bit annoying because to the people who live there, Asheville is the center of the universe. Lots of new-age fads, hipsters mixed up with old-school hippies and rednecks. Nice kayaking opportunities, though. Downtown Asheville is very walkable and there are some good restaurants.

  8. #18
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,809

    Default

    Erm....

    London - Yeah it was ok for a visit, wouldn't want to live there because I dont like the pressure of too many people, even when I was inside all I could feel was this presence of PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE! Which is probably the same in any city. However I did adore the museums and history..../cliche. But it's true the city was interesting....just a bit too crowded.

    Birmingham - The only city I really visit regularly since I live not 50 minutes away by train. It's ok, it has the opposite effect of London where it seems there is too much space with not much in it, oh it's still full of people but it's not the same kind of atomosphere and it can be a bit run down, although in a way I like that gritty ubanity....possibly wouldnt if I had to live in it though, but it fulfills some internal archetype of mine that I find pleasing. It has the millenium point which is a big plus; love going there.

    Edinbourgh - Didn't really get to see much of it, but it looked nice and had some decent history. Grumpy shopkeeper in this one place though, but that's hardly a detail to hold against ANY city or location.

    In fairness im biased because of my upbringing, my family has never been touristy; seeing it as something gaudy and silly, designed to trap people, despite the fact that just because it is a famous city doesn't mean you HAVE to do the famous, (typical), things.

    But yeah we're all outdoor types and I love that too and id much rather live in a small familiar place than a city, although oppourtunities are better in a city....something im having to consider.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  9. #19
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Ridiculous, huh? I was wondering if anyone would comment on that. But the thing about Minnesota is I expect it to be cold-- in the winter. So I dress accordingly. I was in SF in the summertime, and it was way colder than what I was prepared for. (It gets quite hot in MN in the summer. We've had like 25 days of 90+ degree weather with 60-70% humidity this year.)
    Lately it's been getting up to 100+ most days, but with lower humidity than you have. The hottest day so far this summer was 111. That's pretty typical. For me going to the SF Bay area in the summer is a nice break from the heat.

    Actually, I've been to Carson City! It was when I was a child so I don't remember much about it, but from what I recall it's much better than Vegas.
    Right now probably isn't the best time to go to Carson City if you're a tourist. Nevada's economy is in bad shape. A large chunk of it is gambling a tourism, which is down dramatically because people has less disposable income right now. Another mainstay is mining, but the gypsum mines have taken a hit because demand for drywall has dropped off due to the housing construction slump. I guess the gold and silver mines are doing okay.

    Due to revenue being down, the state has cut spending to just the essentials (law enforcement, corrections, fire protection, etc.). State parks and museums have been closed until things improve.

    You might find this interesting: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1914571

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Bay Area, California was crowded. There are people everywhere, and the sprawl is ridiculous. Sure, you can get around by walking in San Francisco proper, but if you live anywhere else in the Bay Area you've got to use a car. All the nice backcountry areas in the Sierras are a long drive from the cities.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Area_Rapid_Transit

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caltrain

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_C...ity_light_rail
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

  10. #20
    libtard SJW chickpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Bay Area, California was crowded. There are people everywhere, and the sprawl is ridiculous. Sure, you can get around by walking in San Francisco proper, but if you live anywhere else in the Bay Area you've got to use a car. All the nice backcountry areas in the Sierras are a long drive from the cities
    i live in oakland and get around pretty easily without a car.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] ENFPs , What do you think of INTJs?
    By Hap in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 04-13-2015, 06:00 PM
  2. [ESTJ] What do you think of ESTJs?
    By JediM05 in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 177
    Last Post: 11-15-2013, 11:18 PM
  3. [INFP] INFP's, what do you think of your personality?
    By GZA in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 04:15 PM
  4. Obama's handwriting got revealed... What do you think of his type?
    By IEE623 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 01-26-2009, 06:51 AM
  5. [SJ] SJs-- what do you think of INFs?
    By helen in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 07:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO