User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Default Mayor Bloomberg wants to lock up formula to promote breast feeding

I know the topic of formula vs. breast feeding has been discussed here already. I really think Mayor Bloomberg is over-stepping his boundaries with this and with the soda issue. If he wants to nudge people into being more healthy, he's going about it the wrong way.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...nyc-hospitals/

(CBS/AP) First he took on big servings of soda. Next on Mayor Michael Bloomberg's agenda is infant formula.
    Going into effect on September 3, New York City's mayor will implement his voluntary Latch On NYC initiative in which infant formula will be kept locked away at hospitals to encourage breast-feeding for new mothers.
    Under the new program, reported by the New York Post, mothers who insist on bottle-feeding will still be able to do so, but nurses would have to sign out the baby formula, which would always be on hand for mothers who have difficulty breast-feeding.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

The solution is obvious, bioengineer human-cow hybrids and create a commercially viable human breast milk industry.

Edit: The original pic was not that graphic, but I decided not to chance it. Ty pixelization!
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    intp

. . . because nurses don't have enough to do without catering to this meddlesome busybody's half-baked whims.

Nanny Bloomberg overstepped his boundaries long ago. Looks like mayors in fiefdoms all over the great USA are reveling in their power.
    He seems to live in an alternate universe where people abstain from feeding their children breast milk due to lack of encouragement.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Maybe we should figure out how to make men lactate, then Mayor Bloomberg could take on some of the breast feeding responsibilities himself.

I don't have time right now to research, but what is his stand on pumping breast milk and bottle feeding that? Is it the act of breast feeding that he's trying to *encourage* or the health benefits of breast milk?
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

I hope women send him letters telling him to F.O.
    The future is for the unafraid.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Societal changes need to be made from the grassroots level up. Government needs to get the fuck out of personal liberty issues.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Maybe this is too obvious but what happens when a mother isn't lactating enough to feed her baby? Will this new legislation require such mothers to hire a wet nurse...?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Many hospitals routinely give fomula to newborns, even when the mother has specifically indicated an intention to breastfeed. Perhaps requiring this extra step will make hospital staff think before offering formula as a default, and give new mothers a chance to try breastfeeding without assuming they will be unwilling or unable to nurse.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Maybe this is too obvious but what happens when a mother isn't lactating enough to feed her baby? Will this new legislation require such mothers to hire a wet nurse...?
    My guess is that Bloomberg hasn't spent much time trying to figure out the logistics. It's what Thomas Sowell calls "stage one thinking".
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INFJ

I agree, overstepping boundaries.

I knew something would be next after I saw the soda thing. I said it was bad to set a precedent of meddling in people's decisions then, and I'll say it again.

It's bad because people like him do not know where to stop. There's no "just giving up soda" because it always goes to something else eventually.