User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Thanks for your thoughts Coriolis. I do feel you are preaching to the choir however. Ivy and I have both nursed our children and helped other moms learn to nurse their own, and I suspect we both feel quite knowledgeable on the topic, both from a learned perspective and an experiential one.

What you're saying seems obvious so your posts come across more like a lecture, and I am not sure what your point is - do you not think we know this stuff? Or are you agreeing with us and expanding what you already see here? I am trying to figure out what you're getting at.

Boobs make milk? Agreed. Breast is best? Agreed. Society sucks at supporting new breast-feeding moms? Agreed.

The widely accepted figure is that 1 - 5% of women cannot breast-feed due to medical reasons. But what I am getting at is there's much more to having lots of milk for as long as you want it than functioning breasts. This is where we enter the realm of breast-feeding management and like I said before there are TONS of reasons why problems arise, INCLUDING (I believe) each woman's personal genetic constitution.

It might be worth pointing out that I am not looking at the short-term of the nursing relationship either. In using a one year timeframe as a benchmark (WHO standard), there are many issues that can arise over the course of that time, some of them medical as well, that can be addressed all along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    We should be able to expect the same level of breastfeeding abundance now, as you put it, that we expected before the advent of formula. The difference is that now those who truly cannot nurse have better recourse than wet nurses or less suitable substitute foods.
    I wasn't comparing milk supply now to supply of the past, my apologies for the ambiguous statement. I am saying that every woman today seems almost expected to have an equal bond with their infant, an equal supply of milk and equal success breast-feeding. My experience and instinct tells me this is not so.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

It's interesting that big companies are the debil to many people but they don't consider that formula companies might be acting in underhanded ways.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts Coriolis. I do feel you are preaching to the choir however. Ivy and I have both nursed our children and helped other moms learn to nurse their own, and I suspect we both feel quite knowledgeable on the topic, both from a learned perspective and an experiential one.

What you're saying seems obvious so your posts come across more like a lecture, and I am not sure what your point is - do you not think we know this stuff? Or are you agreeing with us and expanding what you already see here? I am trying to figure out what you're getting at.

Boobs make milk? Agreed. Breast is best? Agreed. Society sucks at supporting new breast-feeding moms? Agreed.
    I would hope what I am saying is obvious, and it may be to you, but apparently it is not so to everyone. I am not trying to convince anyone of the merits of breastfeeding. I am pointing to the combination of: (1) the merits of breastfeeding, plus (2) the fact that only a few percent of women have medical impediments to doing it, plus (3) as you put it, society sucks at encouraging it, to explain why the recent developments in New York might make sense, and might actually get more mothers to try breastfeeding.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...