User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Chik-Fil-A bans and standing ground for morals

I admire Chik-Fil-A's standing up for what they think is right. I also think they are wrong, but I appreciate them taking a stance on a position instead of pretending that they're neutral like many other places.

I don't see why people are just now trying to Ban Chik-Fil-A's from their state.. They've ALWAYS been a Christian-run establishment, and very traditional. It is part of why they received so much business in the first place--they closed on Sundays, they give their employees Religious holidays off, etc. They're very active in their communities as well. It is no surprise that they do not support gay marriage. so why is everyone having a hissy fit over it JUST now?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I agree with you, I think that enforcing liberal moral ideology to a point that you can tell private businesses what their religious morals should or should not be goes against all that the U.S. stands for: RELIGIOUS FREEDOM, at its core, folks, let us remember the history of our country. People came here so that they could practice their religion (or not) as they saw fit.

We cannot enforce atheism or liberal moral beliefs if we do not want Christians (or Muslims or Jews) to enforce their beliefs upon us privately.

It goes both ways.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

They have absolutely right to do what it is they wish to do, just as I and anyone (or group of someones) have to right to choose not to associate ourselves with them. Not that I ate at their restaurants anyway, I don't eat fast food.

Granted, some of the bans are being made by elected officials and they'll have to answer to their electorate regarding the decisions to make the bans but I don't see anything wrong with people (rightly so) calling them out on their douchebaggery and choosing to push back.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    INFJ

It's not about what they believe. They can believe whatever they want.

But first of all, I don't see the point of incorporating it under a corporate name, unless they're doing something with it. If their chicken sandwich tastes the same, and they still sell it to gay people, then there's absolutely no difference and no point.

The problem is when they use their money to get into politics which is a lot more than practicing religion.

Edit: and we shouldn't have to enforce anything but the most basic of laws. I don't agree with state religion and I also don't agree with state atheism. Neither one of those is the state's business.

Ginkgo

It's Chik-Fil-A. Buy sandwiches and get out.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    It's Chik-Fil-A. Buy sandwiches and get out.
    It's all the same money anyway.

Instead of banning them they should put each one between a vegan restaurant and a strip club to promote debate and exchange of ideals.

I always thought they were lame for closing on Sundays, before this. It's their business. They can do what they want. It's just silly, both for a national (international?) chain, for employees who might want (or even need) the work, and the fact that the Sabbath isn't traditionally Christian. Not only that, but the Sabbath is Saturday anyways.

That said, I like the fries. I won't ban them.

Rejecting Chick-fil-A is a good power play for mayor

This is all I have read about it but the article makes some good points about why he is doing it. If Chik Fil A is anti same sex marriage and strongly religious then they would also be anti gay you'd imagine, or at least have a bias in the company. I think it is pretty messy mixing business with religion and politics. There is a civil rights argument at the core of the issue, as well as religious views. Whichever way you fall on the argument on same sex marriage I think it'd be better if business kept out of religion and politics. Businesses should funnel their money quietly to causes so you can buy your chicken sandwiches free of moral questioning.

Surprisingly, we have no Chik Fil A in Japan.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    It's just silly, both for a national (international?) chain, ...
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    According to Wikipedia they have restaurants in 39 US states and in the District of Columbia. So they aren't even completely national and apparently are deeply rooted in the South. They do plan to expand to Mexico and the Philippines in the future though.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Rejecting Chick-fil-A is a good power play for mayor

This is all I have read about it but the article makes some good points about why he is doing it. If Chik Fil A is anti same sex marriage and strongly religious then they would also be anti gay you'd imagine, or at least have a bias in the company. I think it is pretty messy mixing business with religion and politics. There is a civil rights argument at the core of the issue, as well as religious views. Whichever way you fall on the argument on same sex marriage I think it'd be better if business kept out of religion and politics. Businesses should funnel their money quietly to causes so you can buy your chicken sandwiches free of moral questioning.

Yeah. That's actually interesting, and ironic, considering that Japan went from burakumin in the feudal era - discrimination against those who do unclean tasks such as slaughter animals or work with leather - it went from that to "shut up and take my money!" apparently.

A business is there to serve, not to make policy. I, the customer, with my money make or break the business.