User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 331

  1. #81
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Basically this:


    Chick fil a is the only business of its type to be closed on Sundays. Everyone wants Chick fil a on sunday, but they aren't open >_<. People just figure/find out why it's closed on Sunday... Sabbath. A vast majority of Christians feel the way Dan Cathy does, they just aren't as vocal about it/don't have the platform of prestige that he does to be heard in the first place. Was it smart from a public relations stand point? Not at all, because he's alienating a group of people and their supporters. But simply, he vocalized a commonly held sentiment.
    I admire them for their fortitude. Usually you only see this kind of thing in small Jewish grocery stores who are closed on Saturday. Generally you encounter hypocrites who don't want to work on Sunday, but want other people to work on Sunday so they can go out to dinner or what have you.

    I honestly admire these sort of people, like the OP does, who are authentic to their morality.

  2. #82
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Basically this:


    Chick fil a is the only business of its type to be closed on Sundays. Everyone wants Chick fil a on sunday, but they aren't open >_<. People just figure/find out why it's closed on Sunday... Sabbath. A vast majority of Christians feel the way Dan Cathy does, they just aren't as vocal about it/don't have the platform of prestige that he does to be heard in the first place. Was it smart from a public relations stand point? Not at all, because he's alienating a group of people and their supporters. But simply, he vocalized a commonly held sentiment.
    I admire them for their fortitude. Usually you only see this kind of thing in small Jewish grocery stores who are closed on Saturday. Generally you encounter hypocrites who don't want to work on Sunday, but want other people to work on Sunday so they can go out to dinner or what have you.

    I honestly admire these sort of people, like the OP does, who are authentic to their morality.

  3. #83
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    But there are Christians who aren't involved in the legal aspect of gay marriage, and people against gay marriage who aren't religious.
    I know, and I don't find them pertinent. I won't persecute people for their minds.

    There's a lot of things I don't agree with but I'm not here to make the world bow to me or imbue a sense of 'rightness' out of my own conceit because I believe I'd be a hypocrite if I did that. Actually I probably am a hypocrite some times.

  4. #84
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I don't see Cathy openly denying gays to eat at his restaurant on the news (correct me if I am wrong on that), and I don't see him saying anything outside of annoying personal opinions. Racists blocked people from getting married.. This guy is saying he find it immoral and wrong. There's a huge difference there.. Cathy has taken not action against any same-sex marriages or banned any homosexuals from his restaurants (I don't know how he'd even do that tbh..) So I'm not really on red-flag alert about his stance.
    That's all true.

    He's only said some imprudent things publicly, and pushed to donate probably $5 million over the course of 8 years to anti-gay-marriage groups.

    Again, it's all polarizing. Now on the news we hear about Jeff Bezos, head of Amazon, donating $2.5 million to the same-sex marriage promoters in Washington state, although he didn't say negative things about the opposition in that press release.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #85
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That's all true.

    He's only said some imprudent things publicly, and pushed to donate probably $5 million over the course of 8 years to anti-gay-marriage groups.

    Again, it's all polarizing. Now on the news we hear about Jeff Bezos, head of Amazon, donating $2.5 million to the same-sex marriage promoters in Washington state, although he didn't say negative things about the opposition in that press release.
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/sexuality/chickfila.asp

    None of these donated groups could be considered ONLY anti-same-sex-marriage. Im sure that is an agenda since they're Christian-based and they lobby for their beliefs.. but I still don't see anything that totally shows them bribing politicians to vote a certain way, or trying to convince the public directly of anything.

    I could also see him being stupid and publically announcing it instead of being quiet with the subject all the craze lately. Still, he's not in the wrong for any of that.

    I support the SPCA with donations every year, and some people scoff at it and say it's a shit organization that kills dogs. I don't care, I love dogs and try to support agencies that help them and I think that is one of them despite the fact they put dogs down.

    I think they're wrong for what they say and think. But I don't think they're in the wrong for anything legally or socially. They're doing what they believe is right.. Society will hammer out the rest from there.

    As for me. I'm not going to stop eating a Chik-Fil-A because they have a different opinion from me. nor will I stop eating at their restaurant because they support Christian-based groups with donations. I'll stop eating there the day they decide to give me shit service, which I have never have, or when they openly deny anyone from eating at their restaurant because of sex, gender, marriage-type, etc. Which I have yet to see in the news.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  6. #86
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Again, there has been a pattern of EMPLOYMENT discrimination at CFA. That's a legal wrong. The current lawsuit is over a woman who got fired "so she could be a stay-at-home mother."

  7. #87
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    None of these donated groups could be considered ONLY anti-same-sex-marriage. Im sure that is an agenda since they're Christian-based and they lobby for their beliefs.. but I still don't see anything that totally shows them bribing politicians to vote a certain way, or trying to convince the public directly of anything.
    I acknowledge your point there. And i was careful in my reading, in that I noticed some groups on that list were only given $1000, which I consider a small sum for the kind of advertising and lobbying we're talking about -- a private citizen could pay that out of pocket. From what I recall, it was 1-2 groups that got the largest chunk of the money.

    Still, as I was part of that community for so long, maybe you would like to generalize it to say that money was going to other activities aside from the gay rights thing; but if you read the literature that these organizations send out, guess what hot-button issues they focus on in their fundraising? These letters requesting funds from these groups typically read like an anti-gay, anti-liberal scree... how liberals are destroying America, how gays are destroying America, how abortion needs to be stopped. No one really wants to donate much money to "better Bible study materials," in terms of when they do their fund-raising by mass mailing; no, they hit people through the vehicle of fear, to motivate them to give. And it's not like liberals don't do it as well; I'm on mailing lists that I only half-read because every letter is about some new atrocity against people's rights that should lead to me giving money. Some of the stuff is true, but requests for funds typically focus on fear here in the States, and not hope, because fear tends to have better results where money is concerned.

    I could also see him being stupid and publically announcing it instead of being quiet with the subject all the craze lately. Still, he's not in the wrong for any of that.
    No. Just really imprudent.

    As for me. I'm not going to stop eating a Chik-Fil-A because they have a different opinion from me. nor will I stop eating at their restaurant because they support Christian-based groups with donations. I'll stop eating there the day they decide to give me shit service, which I have never have, or when they openly deny anyone from eating at their restaurant because of sex, gender, marriage-type, etc. Which I have yet to see in the news.
    That's fine, and that is your right. (I'm not sure all of that's true, and I'm not sure they'd hire an openly gay employee based on the attitudes the company has been expressing, but fine.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Again, there has been a pattern of EMPLOYMENT discrimination at CFA. That's a legal wrong. The current lawsuit is over a woman who got fired "so she could be a stay-at-home mother."
    I didn't hear about that one, but that's a big deal since that demographic typically has quite a number of stay-at-home moms.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #88
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Again, there has been a pattern of EMPLOYMENT discrimination at CFA. That's a legal wrong. The current lawsuit is over a woman who got fired "so she could be a stay-at-home mother."
    Y u work at Chik-Fil-A if you want to be a liberal single mother?

    Nope.

  9. #89
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I didn't hear about that one, but that's a big deal since that demographic typically has quite a number of stay-at-home moms.
    Another one was a Muslim employee who was fired the day after he refused to participate in a group prayer to Jesus at a company retreat.

  10. #90
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    There are several cases of women being fired and replaced by men after the woman had a child. This is blatant discrimination.

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. Is there a Rational Ground for Morality?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 04:03 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO