User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 331

  1. #71
    Senior Member Ism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    It's not even controversial though. I, and I assume everyone else knew the company was owned by Christians. They're closed on sunday... Some of their literature, etc. displays this as well. I always thought it was common knowledge that Chick fil a was owned by a Christian/Christians who are open about their faith. Christians are not accepting of gay marriage because homosexuality is clearly stated as sinful in the Bible. People think it's a bigoted minority who are against gay marriage, but it's really probably about half of the population in America if not more.

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/154529/ha...-marriage.aspx
    I think that sort of knowledge/information can be accessed pretty easily (I didn't know about their Christian platform until pretty late), but it doesn't make it less controversial, no? I feel like the creation of this thread, for instance, can indicate that it's a topic of interest, and even debate.

    Edit: And even if people would agree that it's a Christian company, it doesn't necessarily mean that they'd make the connection between Chick-fil-a's traditional values and this stance against gay marriage. Or, heck, a lot of the time people don't get angry about an issue until it's put right under their noses, regardless of whether the information is publicly known/accessible/obvious/etc.

  2. #72
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Basically this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    Or, heck, a lot of the time people don't get angry about an issue until it's put right under their noses, regardless of whether the information is publicly known/accessible/obvious/etc.
    Chick fil a is the only business of its type to be closed on Sundays. Everyone wants Chick fil a on sunday, but they aren't open >_<. People just figure/find out why it's closed on Sunday... Sabbath. A vast majority of Christians feel the way Dan Cathy does, they just aren't as vocal about it/don't have the platform of prestige that he does to be heard in the first place. Was it smart from a public relations stand point? Not at all, because he's alienating a group of people and their supporters. But simply, he vocalized a commonly held sentiment.

  3. #73
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Chick fil a is the only business of its type to be closed on Sundays. Everyone wants Chick fil a on sunday, but they aren't open >_<. People just figure/find out why it's closed on Sunday... Sabbath. A vast majority of Christians feel the way Dan Cathy does, they just aren't as vocal about it/don't have the platform of prestige that he does to be heard in the first place. Was it smart from a public relations stand point? Not at all, because he's alienating a group of people and their supporters. But simply, he vocalized a commonly held sentiment.
    I don't even care that he vocalized. Talk is cheap. I don't even see the point of the talk unless action is involved.

    Does someone stand up in the middle of a shopping center and say "I'm against same sex marriage!" and not do anything? It's random, and loud, and annoying, and irrelevant. I'd probably say "Good for you! I don't care!"

    When they send millions of dollars to somewhere that actions are taken, I start to care, even if they did it silently. He has some guts for doing it openly though, I'll give him that much.

  4. #74
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,879

    Default

    Good lord this exploded, I need to go back and read. Disclaimer: I only get small bits and pieces of news since I'm currently located in Djibouti, Africa. I knew everyone was making a big deal about it, I did not know the wording of the context.

    I think harsher things have been said, and it is a bit eye-rolling that they were all stereotypical Christians about the way they expressed their opinions.. Cathy should be the one getting his neck twisted up, not the entire fast food chain. A lot of people are going to take a hit on this because of one man's poor choice in wording. As far as the comparison in this situation to white racists.. I don't see Cathy openly denying gays to eat at his restaurant on the news (correct me if I am wrong on that), and I don't see him saying anything outside of annoying personal opinions. Racists blocked people from getting married.. This guy is saying he find it immoral and wrong. There's a huge difference there.. Cathy has taken not action against any same-sex marriages or banned any homosexuals from his restaurants (I don't know how he'd even do that tbh..) So I'm not really on red-flag alert about his stance.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  5. #75
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Good lord this exploded, I need to go back and read. Disclaimer: I only get small bits and pieces of news since I'm currently located in Djibouti, Africa. I knew everyone was making a big deal about it, I did not know the wording of the context.

    I think harsher things have been said, and it is a bit eye-rolling that they were all stereotypical Christians about the way they expressed their opinions.. Cathy should be the one getting his neck twisted up, not the entire fast food chain. A lot of people are going to take a hit on this because of one man's poor choice in wording. As far as the comparison in this situation to white racists.. I don't see Cathy openly denying gays to eat at his restaurant on the news (correct me if I am wrong on that), and I don't see him saying anything outside of annoying personal opinions. Racists blocked people from getting married.. This guy is saying he find it immoral and wrong. There's a huge difference there.. Cathy has taken not action against any same-sex marriages or banned any homosexuals from his restaurants (I don't know how he'd even do that tbh..) So I'm not really on red-flag alert about his stance.
    The issue is that these people are a representative of CFA.
    Just as ALEC is (was) a representative of such institutions like Amazon.
    Just as POTUS is the representative to the U.S.
    Just as we have representatives in Congress and Senate.
    Just as we have representatives as mayors and state legislators.
    Just as we have a speaker.

    As sprinkles links:

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Also:

    http://equalitymatters.org/factcheck/201111010001

    Tell me again what they didn't do with their money?
    CFA DID give money to anti-gay groups.

  6. #76
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I don't even care that he vocalized. Talk is cheap. I don't even see the point of the talk unless action is involved.

    Does someone stand up in the middle of a shopping center and say "I'm against same sex marriage!" and not do anything? It's random, and loud, and annoying, and irrelevant. I'd probably say "Good for you! I don't care!"

    When they send millions of dollars to somewhere that actions are taken, I start to care, even if they did it silently. He has some guts for doing it openly though, I'll give him that much.
    Yeah, between this bit of information and the fact that he held a press conference on it it does seem dirtier and dirtier as people start to dig.. The whole thing is unnecessary.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  7. #77
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    The issue is that these people are a representative of CFA.
    Just as ALEC is (was) a representative of such institutions like Amazon.
    Just as POTUS is the representative to the U.S.
    Just as we have representatives in Congress and Senate.
    Just as we have representatives as mayors and state legislators.
    Just as we have a speaker.

    As sprinkles links:



    CFA DID give money to anti-gay groups.
    Im still digging through this mess of a thread so you'll forgive me for replying to things not-so-much-on-time.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  8. #78
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Im still digging through this mess of a thread so you'll forgive me for replying to things not-so-much-on-time.
    It was a very quick reply, my bad.

    Still, Cathy is a representative of his business. How he is perceived is how people will perceive his business.

    If people begin to see Cathy as a bigot, people will begin to see his business as a bigot. He is the one who controls the direction of the business (whether figuratively or financially) and not the people who handle everything else.

  9. #79
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    It was a very quick reply, my bad.

    Still, Cathy is a representative of his business. How he is perceived is how people will perceive his business.

    If people begin to see Cathy as a bigot, people will begin to see his business as a bigot. He is the one who controls the direction of the business (whether figuratively or financially) and not the people who handle everything else.
    Yeah this is the thing that saddens me. I've known many Christians who are beautiful people and I don't mind their morality at all even when it is contrary to mine.

    I was a Christian but I moved beyond it. At that time I believed that nothing is beyond God and God handles things in due time without our intervention and that there's no need to be in other people's business. I believed that you can only spread God's word, not make it policy because if he wanted that done it would be done.

  10. #80
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah this is the thing that saddens me. I've known many Christians who are beautiful people and I don't mind their morality at all even when it is contrary to mine.

    I was a Christian but I moved beyond it. At that time I believed that nothing is beyond God and God handles things in due time without our intervention and that there's no need to be in other people's business. I believed that you can only spread God's word, not make it policy because if he wanted that done it would be done.
    But there are Christians who aren't involved in the legal aspect of gay marriage, and people against gay marriage who aren't religious.

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. Is there a Rational Ground for Morality?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 04:03 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO