User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post

and remember the "hide you wife, hide yo kids, cause they rapin' everybody out here!"? He's got some wisdom on this subject.

[youtube=LUmoTOujJ7Q]lol[/youtube]
    I didnt know that guy gave his opinion on shit, best post in thread!!

Anyway, I thought after that show supersize me that the right on thing to do was to only eat dandelions or nettles or road kill and never frequent any restaurants, particularly fast food ones.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I totally agree with you that the words she used to describe her opposition to same sex marriage were wrong. And that to the extent that she was intentionally trying to inflame the opposition, she should be judged.

But I feel like @kyuuei and I were addressing the issue from a more "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." perspective.

I suspect that both @kyuuei and I would agree that the tone of Cathy's declaration was inflammatory. But this tone does nothing to weaken the argument that everyone has the right to let their opinion be known.
    I've got to say that if I were to criticism the US about its fundamentalist stance on freedom of speech, which I will not, lets get that very clear from the outset, this sort of thing is really, really not were I would begin.

I mean THE country were its possible to procure the Nazi regalia and memorabalia which its illegal to possess in Germany or most of Europe? The country which is one of the world hubs for "white power rock and roll", were ironically a lot of Political Islamic propaganda orignated, ie was printed up, and even training camps operated prior to 9/11, were the KKK produces all its material which is destined for Northern Ireland and elsewhere and the country which gave the world The Turner Diaries, Hunter etc.?

Personally, those things are way more concerning that someones out of step opinion on gay couplings attempting to redefine marriage.

MBTI
    INTJ

If all lobbying must be treated thusly, not many big companies would be left.
    When I worked at the American Action Network I worked under the head fundraiser doing donor research via FEC.gov, and a few other sites.

If you were to say that every company (or individual) giving more than the max allowable donation to a given side ($2500) was committing bribery, there wouldn't be many companies left.

I compiled a spreadsheet for my boss at ANN listing just Florida donors who gave more than $2500, I had about 10,000 entries. This is just on the right, and just the biggest donors, and just Florida.

If you said anything over $2500 amounted to bribery, there wouldn't be much left.

Most big corps give to both sides, so they're in with whoever wins.
    I do not think I follow you. Correct me if I am wrong, but you seem to state that if corporations are prevented from making campaign contributions they will cease to exist? If so, I do not see how your second post proves that point.

Corporations make money from business, whether it is creating goods or providing services or anything in between. All of that is fine and dandy with me. However, corporations making money off politics (or giving kickbacks to politicians every 2, 4, or 6 years) seems prima facie corruption to me.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I do not think I follow you. Correct me if I am wrong, but you seem to state that if corporations are prevented from making campaign contributions they will cease to exist? If so, I do not see how your second post proves that point.

Corporations make money from business, whether it is creating goods or providing services or anything in between. All of that is fine and dandy with me. However, corporations making money off politics seems prima facie corruption to me.
    What I'm saying is that lobbying is currently ok.

It's easy to say lobbying is bad, should be a crime etc....

But there is an extent to which corporate and special interests really should be allowed to plead their case to government. The problem arises when the corp/special interest money allows those entities an unfairly large measure of influence with gov't.

So many companies are giving political money now, that branding that bribery would change everything.

Any changes to political donation schemes are going to need to be incremental in nature.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I didnt know that guy gave his opinion on shit, best post in thread!!
    I didn't either until yesterday. He has a youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/antoined...?feature=watch

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I didn't either until yesterday. He has a youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/antoined...?feature=watch
    Yeah, I want one for me. Larkvision.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I knew about it a while ago and haven't eaten there since then . . . but I'm open to the idea that eating there doesn't mean you don't care about the cause. I just feel a small twinge of guilt doing it.

It's incredibly delicious, though, which is probably why those bastards probably knew they could get away with publicizing their controversial stance. *shake fist*

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    I knew about it a while ago and haven't eaten there since then . . . but I'm open to the idea that eating there doesn't mean you don't care about the cause. I just feel a small twinge of guilt doing it.

It's incredibly delicious, though, which is probably why those bastards probably knew they could get away with publicizing their controversial stance. *shake fist*
    Its probably the same reason I never eat Ben and Jerries after they forgot they were meant to be all about the ice cream.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    which is probably why those bastards probably knew they could get away with publicizing their controversial stance.
    It's not even controversial though. I, and I assume everyone else knew the company was owned by Christians. They're closed on sunday... Some of their literature, etc. displays this as well. I always thought it was common knowledge that Chick fil a was owned by a Christian/Christians who are open about their faith. Christians are not accepting of gay marriage because homosexuality is clearly stated as sinful in the Bible. People think it's a bigoted minority who are against gay marriage, but it's really probably about half of the population in America if not more.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/154529/ha...-marriage.aspx

MBTI
    INTJ

What I'm saying is that lobbying is currently ok.
    What you originally said was this: "If all lobbying must be treated thusly, not many big companies would be left." Corporations make money from goods and services. The only reason they would need to involve themselves in politics to stay afloat is because 1. They are running a shit business that would otherwise not survive or 2. Their competitor has an unfair advantage due to political connections that they do not.

If you make laws that prevent corporations from buying favors from politicians, then #2 would not be an issue, and #1 is pure capitalism. So again, I do not see how your statement is valid.

It's easy to say lobbying is bad, should be a crime etc....
    Indeed. It is easy for me to say something reeks of corruption when I see a public official receiving large sums of money from someone "with a special interest". And that "someone" being an entity whose sole purpose is to generate private profit. So let me repeat this: an entity created with a sole purpose of generating private profit is giving a large sums of money to a public official whose job it is to protect public interests. Do you, or do you not see an issue here?

But there is an extent to which corporate and special interests really should be allowed to plead their case to government.
    They can plead all they want. As long as no money exchanges hands.

The problem arises when the corp/special interest money allows those entities an unfairly large measure of influence with gov't.
    Money buys influence, and big corporations have more money than anybody else. That is the issue at hand.

So many companies are giving political money now, that branding that bribery would change everything.
    You mean like ending corruption?

Any changes to political donation schemes are going to need to be incremental in nature.
    I do not mind a gradual implementation, as long there is definite result where financial transactions between corporations and politicians come to an end.

And just for the record, I do not have anything against private citizens contributing to politicians, as long as the names of those that contribute more than $10,000 are publicly listed.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.