User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The reaction however is a position taken by an elected official, which consequently serves as an action taken on behalf of an entire city.

I'm fine with the Mayor making a statement establishing that his views differ from Chik-fil-a's, but the instant that preference of his is used to justify keeping a legal business out of a city, that has every right to be there, I call bullshit.

If it's that big of a deal, people can vote with there feet and take their business elsewhere.

The decision of the mayor basically boils down to "because I said so" reasoning.

For me it's more important that companies get to sell their products where ever the hell they please regardless of their social or political opinions, than it is that moral busybodies get to dispense business permits depending on whether or not they feel like it, or more specifically depending on whether or not they politically agree with the positions taken by said company.
    Even as a citizen I would be irked that decisions like that were made for me by the mayor. I can't even boycott Chik-Fil-A on my own. And who knows--there are probably lots of people in his area that SUPPORT Chik-Fil-A that he's pretty much speaking for.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The reaction however is a position taken by an elected official, which consequently serves as an action taken on behalf of an entire city.

I'm fine with the Mayor making a statement establishing that his views differ from Chik-fil-a's, but the instant that preference of his is used to justify keeping a legal business out of a city, that has every right to be there, I call bullshit.

If it's that big of a deal, people can vote with there feet and take their business elsewhere.

The decision of the mayor basically boils down to "because I said so" reasoning.

For me it's more important that companies get to sell their products where ever the hell they please regardless of their social or political opinions, than it is that moral busybodies get to dispense business permits depending on whether or not they feel like it, or more specifically depending on whether or not they politically agree with the positions taken by said company.
    I admit it seems a difficult case that it justifies actually barring a business, but in this case, if the system actually worked the way it's supposed to, people can vote this guy out of office next election if they are truly incensed by this decision.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Or not.. fast food is vile.
    I write places off like this as dispensers of ''non-food'' items-- so I can't be bothered to care about their garbage peddling corporation's plight.

..Wasn't there a chicken joint funded by the KKK? Or did I dream that up?
    Yes. In fact Chik-Fil-A used the chicken as a ... lure.

I'm amazed that businesses as hokey as Chick-Fil-A even exist.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Yeah, I was being vague there. But to me, saying "Omg you don't support same-sex marriage" is the same thing as saying "Omg you're a fundamental Christian!" Of course they don't, it's silly to be shocked that they do. They're not douchebags for following their religious guidelines. Anymore than atheists are douchebags for not having religious guidelines.
    Yeah, many people seem to expect me to treat people who oppose legalizing gay marriage as bigots....to me, that's like treating people who think marijuana or handguns should be illegal as totalitarian assholes. Frankly, Dan Savage annoys me even more than Rick Santorum.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Yeah, many people seem to expect me to treat people who oppose legalizing gay marriage as bigots....to me, that's like treating people who think marijuana or handguns should be illegal as totalitarian assholes. Frankly, Dan Savage annoys me even more than Rick Santorum.
    Right. I don't assume people are dirty hippies that want to mooch off the government if they think marijuana should be legal. Its leaping way too far. Saying you don't support gay marriage isn't saying anything more than a personal opinion. Kicking gays out would be a different story. But I think people are just trying to throw hate rocks at anything that looks like glass right now and it's irking.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Why does anyone care about their moral standings? Their food is great. (I love their waffle fries!)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I admire Chik-Fil-A's standing up for what they think is right. I also think they are wrong, but I appreciate them taking a stance on a position instead of pretending that they're neutral like many other places.

I don't see why people are just now trying to Ban Chik-Fil-A's from their state.. They've ALWAYS been a Christian-run establishment, and very traditional. It is part of why they received so much business in the first place--they closed on Sundays, they give their employees Religious holidays off, etc. They're very active in their communities as well. It is no surprise that they do not support gay marriage. so why is everyone having a hissy fit over it JUST now?
    I think the tension was building for awhile, and then Cathy's comments were released a few weeks ago, which seemed to set things off.

Why did people respond so poorly to his comments? Because it's one thing to say, "I personally don't believe that same-sex marriage is moral, I'm sorry but I just can't, so I need to disagree, and we need to let it go at that," and saying, "Anyone who believe in same-sex unions is immoral and arrogant and a rebel against God and a disgrace to this country and the reason this country is failing."

See the difference? The first point just focuses on the disagreement but doesn't slander the other side, the other one is an assault upon the moral integrity of the other side and rather hypocritical, since it takes some arrogance to simply slander the moral caliber of someone who disagrees with you.

I'm not sure I can support "admiration" just because someone stands up for what they think is right. Otherwise I'd be admiring all the white racists and the church in Mississippi that refused to marry a black couple who were faithful attenders and had contributed to the community, etc. I mean, any jerk can "stand up for what they think is right" as a way to bully and attack those whom they treat with disrespect; there has to be more to it than than for me. Maybe if it was hard for Cathy to utter his proclamation, I'd respect him a little more, but he comes off as a guy who actually has no issues saying exactly what he thinks and in offensive ways; it wasn't really a test of moral courage for him to tell the Baptist press how much he hated same-sex marriage and how little he thought of people who supported it. Since it would have been harder for him to keep his mouth shut and speak more respectful, that would have shown more moral caliber to hold his tongue a bit.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Since we don't have them here, eating at one is a moot point. I guess my only question would be - why does their standing on gay marriage even matter? Is is a benefit to their business to state their opinion, even when asked? Why does a mayor of a city with this business care what their views are on gay marriage? This doesn't mean I condone their views, I think gay couples should have the same rights as straight ones, no more no less. I don't see how gay marriage is going to impact anyone else or anyone elses marriage and I don't know why anyone cares. This is a conservative Christian business, which they have always been so I also, don't get the uproar.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    XXFP

i see no issue for people or corporations choosing to do whatever they want with the money they make.

by letting people know the values they support (and likely the causes they support as well) consumers can make an informed choice whether they want to support them or not. then the business can better cater to the desires of their buyers. a specialization strategy.

i support gay marriage, so i probably won't be supporting chik-fil-a. simple.

mayor getting involved seems wrong, but then again many jurisdictions legislate morality in ways which are popular among the citizens, such as preventing sex shops from having the vibe-o-matic crotch monster 3000 displayed in the front window of their establishment, for instance.

the whole situation makes me shrug...people have opinions, opinions have consequences. some people react in ways which demonize others who have opposing opinions which is unfortunate and especially dangerous, others disagree and do what they can to limit the potential power of the other group, which creates conflict. conflict is normal.

this isn't utopia.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.