User Tag List

First 8161718192028 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    It's still generally unhealthy. they serve fries and soft drinks. Soft drinks and sweetened tea contain corn syrup. Fried starches release a substance called acrylamide that is carcinogenic. Frying also reduces the nutrient content. Grain (corn) fed animals, including chicken, contain a lot of omega-6 fatty acid, and almost no omega-3. This creates an imbalance in the human body that has been associated with many diseases, particularly heart disease and cancer, which are the biggest killers of Americans, not to mention auto-immune disorders, which are more common than they were 50 years ago.
    Of course, this is not just a problem with Chik fila more than any other fast food joint. But to take a stand about what is healthy for society while ignoring what has been shown to be unhealthy for the body, is hypocritical in my opinion. If they want to be socially responsible they can do the hard work of reforming their menu, and not go for the low hanging fruit of this social statement, which is in the abstract and has no bearing on anything but the appearance of righteousness.
    Call me old fashioned.. but I think it is the responsibility of people to decide what is good for them or not. Everyone has different needs. I knew a guy (my art teacher's husband) whos doctor mandated him to eat a dozen plain donuts everyday with the rest of his meals. He had an overactive metabolism disorder of some sort, and everything fried and difficult for the body to burn off was mandatory for him to keep a healthy weight. It all depends on the perspective. It isn't the responsibility of restaurants to change the way people think about food.. I would be crazy pissed if someone didn't allow me to enjoy some chicken wings after a hard day's work just because a couple people got too fat for society's taste.

I don't want government, society, or anyone else telling me how much I should weigh or what I should look like. These type of messages are what makes little girls vomit in the bathroom so they can be cheerleaders.

The one caveat to that I'll grant is school meals, since students are stuck with whatever the school provides.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ

@kyuuei

I think the bans are mostly talk and stunt politics. I'm not even really sure that I agree with an actual ban.

I also don't see why this is being given an anti Christian bent in the first place. As has been rightly mentioned already, not all Christians are strictly ant-gay that and there are non Christians who are anti-gay so religion really has nothing to do with this.

There's scads of other Christian business to pick on if we want to go that route, but we aren't. It's the anti-gay thing, not the irrelevant Christian thing.

Permabanned

i've seen this before, but i'm too lazy to look into it, but from where i'm sitting it seems like people aren't eating at some restaurant, or politicians are banning some restaurant, because they have a strong ideological bend?

i wonder, when you buy a company's product, do you also buy their ideology?

then, am i making an ideological vote every time i'm too lazy to not eat subway?

do i support communist china (or rather capitialist-communist china, or however else they are being branded these days) when i decide to stop by panda express?

being a responsible citizen is hard work. i'm just hungry, honest.

for chow-mein and orange chicken, i'll be a commie.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    i've seen this before, but i'm too lazy to look into it, but from where i'm sitting it seems like people aren't eating at some restaurant, or politicians are banning some restaurant, because they have a strong ideological bend?

i wonder, when you buy a company's product, do you also buy their ideology?

then, am i making an ideological vote every time i'm too lazy to not eat subway?

do i support communist china (or rather capitialist-communist china, or however else they are being branded these days) when i decide to stop by panda express?

being a responsible citizen is hard work. i'm just hungry, honest.

for chow-mein and orange chicken, i'll be a commie.
    Problem with ideologies is that they mean nothing without actions. If someone says something, chances are they are doing something, too, and if you give them money then yes, you support whatever they are doing, unless they also have a policy of non-intervention.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Yikes! Does China own Panda Express?!!???

(I bet India owns A Taste of Bombay down the street too.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Man, César Chávez would have had a tough time with you people
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Call me old fashioned.. but I think it is the responsibility of people to decide what is good for them or not. Everyone has different needs. I knew a guy (my art teacher's husband) whos doctor mandated him to eat a dozen plain donuts everyday with the rest of his meals. He had an overactive metabolism disorder of some sort, and everything fried and difficult for the body to burn off was mandatory for him to keep a healthy weight. It all depends on the perspective. It isn't the responsibility of restaurants to change the way people think about food.. I would be crazy pissed if someone didn't allow me to enjoy some chicken wings after a hard day's work just because a couple people got too fat for society's taste.

I don't want government, society, or anyone else telling me how much I should weigh or what I should look like. These type of messages are what makes little girls vomit in the bathroom so they can be cheerleaders.

The one caveat to that I'll grant is school meals, since students are stuck with whatever the school provides.
    I don't want people telling me what to eat either because I'm able to make good choices. Nor do I want a CEO of a restaurant chain telling me about his religious beliefs and implying that I should believe that same, or that his position should make me or anyone give his advice extra weight.
    And your friend who was told to eat donuts for his health? He needs a different doctor. That's terrible advice. Does the doctor moonlight as a mortician?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Man, César Chávez would have had a tough time with you people
    Most Americans don't know who that is anyway.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    And your friend who was told to eat donuts for his health? He needs a different doctor. That's terrible advice. Does the doctor moonlight as a mortician?
    Did you not read the entire post? I had a friend who was encouraged by doctors to heavily salt his meals to counteract his low blood pressure.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Did you not read the entire post? I had a friend who was encouraged by doctors to heavily salt his meals to counteract his low blood pressure.
    That has nothing to do with eating donuts for health.