User Tag List

First 7151617181927 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I simply don't consider that a "faith" issue -- let's face it, you could make a case for ANY business that what they do is "bad" in some way to people, the environment, or whatever else, in this culture. Yes, things are THAT crazy in the world. I think the best recourse then for a Christian is just to hide inside the house and never go out.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Those are some needed words of sanity on a topic that has quickly lost any semblance of it.
    Yeah! let's talk about something much more civil -- like The dark Knight Rises!!!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah! let's talk about something much more civil -- like The dark Knight Rises!!!
    the lead content of a chicken shot with an assault rifle is dangerously high!

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Here's a great blog post about this topic: http://rachelheldevans.com/chick-fil-a
    tl;dr
    i'm just making an academic point here.
    one that [irrespective of the validity of your prior post, or the article linked above] seems to be forgotten.
    i don't think i'm doing it very well. i give up.
    enjoy your thread, guys.
    we fukin won boys

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    tl;dr
    one that [irrespective of the validity of your prior post, or the article linked above] seems to be forgotten.
    enjoy your thread, guys.
    You did fine. Willful ignorance and sloppy reasoning conspired to bury your point.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    OKAY, and she's working for a Southern Baptist, private company.

I have yet to be shocked. I can't imagine how you guys are even offended. She should go work for Wendy's instead.
    1. That's not a good thing to be doing (firing people or switching jobs for bad reasons) when unemployment is high. Not a good thing to be doing when it isn't high either.

2. The only difference between a private company and a public one is whether or not they sell on the stock market. Both have to follow the same rules. 'Private' doesn't actually mean private the way you seem to think it does when it comes to companies.

3. People work to make money and feed themselves and their families. Personal values should not enter into employment unless it will effect performance.

How would you like it if the majority of companies made people denounce God to work there? What if finding another job isn't all that easy, or maybe even impossible?

Having values that carry into the workplace is one thing, but firing people and causing them grief when they haven't done anything wrong is petty bullshit and would ruin our economy if everyone did it.

Edit: and on that note, it doesn't matter that a lot of companies do this and get away with it. A lot of people steal and maybe even get away with it but that doesn't mean we just ignore it only because we can't address all of the cases.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

tl;dr
    enjoy your thread, guys.
    I'm sure you were doing fine. Honestly, I didn't have time to read the whole thread today, so if I missed some greater point, I'm sorry.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

i don't know what that has to do with my post, but i'm not interested in their history. with the liberal bias the big business media companies have in this country, i can't believe they weren't covered for days turning into weeks, if such incidents are any more real than strawman arguments fabricated to support a phony campaign against a christian run business.

i don't eat there, i don't even like chicken...
    my point is that whether it's just the latest episode, "the straw on the camel's back" or whether it's a single incident flaring up a tense social atmosphere, there is literally religious persecution taking place here.
    even michael bloomberg, a notoriously excessively officious liberal, is shitting on these nazis for clamoring up about it.
    I was just catching you up on the goings-on of the thread itself moreso than CFA's history.. Everyone's thrown the entire business's history into the discussion, so I was putting that on the table.

The point of this thread is the bans themselves.. Do you think it is okay to ban a business based on all of this, or do you think there is religious persecution? I've already stated I think the latter is taking place.. The guy didn't take any action against gays or same-sex-married people, nor did he openly admit to firing gays from working there or preventing them from populating the restaurants. He made it clear anyone can work there or eat there without intolerance. They're Christian-rooted, but not a christian place of business..

I can see where the individual cases of people being fired there for reasons outside of whats legal could upset someone--of course CFA is going to attract businessmen that may have really strong feelings like that. But thats what the law is there for.. Its a franchise, so it can't be said that the company is always directly responsible for every fuck up it has.

But I can say that everyone looks at the owner.. its his job to ensure the laws are being obeyed in his restaurant otherwise he will lose business and profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I'm sure you were doing fine. Honestly, I didn't have time to read the whole thread today, so if I missed some greater point, I'm sorry.
    Don't worry, his feelings weren't hurt.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    It's still generally unhealthy. they serve fries and soft drinks. Soft drinks and sweetened tea contain corn syrup. Fried starches release a substance called acrylamide that is carcinogenic. Frying also reduces the nutrient content. Grain (corn) fed animals, including chicken, contain a lot of omega-6 fatty acid, and almost no omega-3. This creates an imbalance in the human body that has been associated with many diseases, particularly heart disease and cancer, which are the biggest killers of Americans, not to mention auto-immune disorders, which are more common than they were 50 years ago.
    Of course, this is not just a problem with Chik fila more than any other fast food joint. But to take a stand about what is healthy for society while ignoring what has been shown to be unhealthy for the body, is hypocritical in my opinion. If they want to be socially responsible they can do the hard work of reforming their menu, and not go for the low hanging fruit of this social statement, which is in the abstract and has no bearing on anything but the appearance of righteousness.
    Real southern sweet tea does not contain corn syrup. Chik Fil A serves real sweet tea, not that canned shit.

A lot of people eat fried food in the South. My grandpa lived to be 80; on my grandma's side one of my great-aunts lived to be 96.

Frying in and of itself won't kill you, but sure eating fried foods constantly is probably carcinogenic.

Chicken is also not a bad meat, so I feel like you're exaggerating.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I believe he meant that Chick-fil-A is facing legal threats for their behavior, not the Wall Street criminals. He's merely pointing out that in a sense, everyone's all gung-ho to throw a kid with a funny haircut in jail while a murderer walks the streets without fear. Chick-fil-A is just the latest meaningless diversion that everyone is getting all hot and bothered about while real problems are ignored.
    I can get with this program.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Real southern sweet tea does not contain corn syrup. Chik Fil A serves real sweet tea, not that canned shit.

A lot of people eat fried food in the South. My grandpa lived to be 80; on my grandma's side one of my great-aunts lived to be 96.

Frying in and of itself won't kill you, but sure eating fried foods constantly is probably carcinogenic.

Chicken is also not a bad meat, so I feel like you're exaggerating.
    It always amuses me when people talk about foods this way.. I completely understand the mentality--but I expect to hear things like that from people about to die from their addiction to food and have to completely re-shape the way they think and interact with food. We're about to go on a ridiculously strict diet when I get home because my parents are in this sort of mess.. But I see perfectly fine, healthy people who cringe at the sight of a drop of grease and I just ..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge