User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Wait..so, the owner is publically making religiously motivated hateful and inflammatory comments.
    The company is donating money to religiously motivated anti civil rights groups.
    The middle management illegally fires people for religious reasons.

...and you say there is no connection to be made between those three things? That there is no big picture and therefor no reason to treat the company as a whole accordingly?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    A chick fil a sandwich (or anything else on the menu) is hardly unhealthy if eaten sparingly and in moderation. I think calling it sinful to sell such food would be a bit much. Comparatively to other "fast food", Chick-fil-a is a pretty good option if you're looking for the healthier alternative.
    That seems to be likely.

Here's an actual comparison of various chicken sandwiches among "fast food" style places:
    http://fast-food-nutrition.findthebe...icken-Sandwich

I didn't go through it in detail... at first glance, their chicken sandwich looks to have less fat but more sodium.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

I didn't go through it in detail... at first glance, their chicken sandwich looks to have less fat but more sodium.
    There are even conflicting studies out there about sodium. In fact recently, I saw one news article that said sodium was basically harmless.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    There are even conflicting studies out there about sodium. In fact recently, I saw one news article that said sodium was basically harmless.
    TBH, I don't even much pay attention to sodium, personally. I figure the fat would kill me far quicker...

But in essence, I expect you to be correct here. Their menu looks generally healthier than other fast-food places.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTx

TBH, I don't even much pay attention to sodium, personally. I figure the fat would kill me far quicker...

But in essence, I expect you to be correct here. Their menu looks generally healthier than other fast-food places.
    So this begs the question. Are they sinful for having less than "healthy" food, or are they holy for having the healthier option when it comes to fast food??

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    i keep reading it posted that chilk-fil-a's official stance is in opposition of same sex marriage [or explicitly "anti-gay" or some other such thing] which i don't think is true.
    the owner's position is against same sex marriage. i heard the statement the guy made, and it sounds pretty personal, and detached from the corporation.

what gives here, guys?
    This latest hullabaloo is over a statement made by the owner, but the real issue (which many people have been upset about for WAY LONGER THAN A WEEK) is that Chick-Fil-A funnels some of its profits (in the name of the corporation, even) to groups like the Family Research Council, which the SPLC has designated a hate group because of the blatantly anti-gay work it does.

This whole thing is being spun as if Dan Cathy's opinion on teh gayz is what actually matters when it isn't.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Wait..so, the owner is publically making religiously motivated hateful and inflammatory comments.
    that's false. nothing he said was hateful. perhaps inflammatory, but just about everything is these days.
    The company is donating money to religiously motivated anti civil rights groups.
    this is the first i'm hearing of this. why hasn't there been bigger mention?
    The middle management illegally fires people for religious reasons.
    it would be interesting to read the sources on this.

...and you say there is no connection to be made between those three things? That there is no big picture and therefor no reason to treat the company as a whole accordingly?
    that's not what i said at all. i said that there is religious persecution taking place by municipalities, which is true.
    if chic-fil-a is guilty of wrongdoing, they can be shut down, or at least fined until they comply with ordinance.
    but you can't ban them.
    isn't that what this thread is about? it's right there in the title...
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Here's a great blog post about this topic: http://rachelheldevans.com/chick-fil-a
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Here's a great blog post about this topic: http://rachelheldevans.com/chick-fil-a
    Those are some needed words of sanity on a topic that has quickly lost any semblance of it.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

It's still generally unhealthy. they serve fries and soft drinks. Soft drinks and sweetened tea contain corn syrup. Fried starches release a substance called acrylamide that is carcinogenic. Frying also reduces the nutrient content. Grain (corn) fed animals, including chicken, contain a lot of omega-6 fatty acid, and almost no omega-3. This creates an imbalance in the human body that has been associated with many diseases, particularly heart disease and cancer, which are the biggest killers of Americans, not to mention auto-immune disorders, which are more common than they were 50 years ago.
    Of course, this is not just a problem with Chik fila more than any other fast food joint. But to take a stand about what is healthy for society while ignoring what has been shown to be unhealthy for the body, is hypocritical in my opinion. If they want to be socially responsible they can do the hard work of reforming their menu, and not go for the low hanging fruit of this social statement, which is in the abstract and has no bearing on anything but the appearance of righteousness.