User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Nothing is going to happen to anyone on Wall Street other than the public being thrown a scapegoat or two. The threats are just a show for people like you.
    I believe he meant that Chick-fil-A is facing legal threats for their behavior, not the Wall Street criminals. He's merely pointing out that in a sense, everyone's all gung-ho to throw a kid with a funny haircut in jail while a murderer walks the streets without fear. Chick-fil-A is just the latest meaningless diversion that everyone is getting all hot and bothered about while real problems are ignored.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

It strikes me as hypocritical to publically denounce gays while at the same time selling trans-fat laden, fried food.
    Great for you, you're going to heaven! In the mean time, everyone gets sick from inflammatory diseases and obesity.
    Why can't they extend the idea of 'doing the right thing' into the realm of actually doing something good for people?

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    It strikes me as hypocritical to publically denounce gays while at the same time selling trans-fat laden, fried food.
    Great for you, you're going to heaven! In the mean time, everyone gets sick from inflammatory diseases and obesity.
    Why can't they extend the idea of 'doing the right thing' into the realm of actually doing something good for people?
    Selling fast food isn't "doing the wrong thing" any more than selling beer, hunting knives or cough medicine. They're all products that can be used responsibly but that a minority of consumers will abuse. It's not unhealthy to eat fast food occasionally as long as you don't make it a staple of your diet, same as any rich food. Why is it doing the wrong thing to sell a product like this? Hasn't that responsibility always rested with the consumer?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Selling fast food isn't "doing the wrong thing" any more than selling beer, hunting knives or cough medicine. They're all products that can be used responsibly but that a minority of consumers will abuse. It's not unhealthy to eat fast food occasionally as long as you don't make it a staple of your diet, same as any rich food. Why is it doing the wrong thing to sell a product like this? Hasn't that responsibility always rested with the consumer?
    That was not my point. selling a product that is harmful to health by nature while at the same time being idealistic about religion strikes me as hypocritical and lacking in critical thinking.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

that certainly can't be surprising to you. you are aware of southern culture aren't you?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    that certainly can't be surprising to you. you are aware of southern culture aren't you?
    Are you refering to me? I am familiar with southern culture, and I am not surprised.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Are you refering to me? I am familiar with southern culture, and I am not surprised.
    oh right..okay. yeah me either.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ISTx

A chick fil a sandwich (or anything else on the menu) is hardly unhealthy if eaten sparingly and in moderation. I think calling it sinful to sell such food would be a bit much. Comparatively to other "fast food", Chick-fil-a is a pretty good option if you're looking for the healthier alternative.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Soft money funneling funneling through 501c's and 527's doesn't really bother me insofar as it's been ruled constitutional, and for that $$ to be effective people have to buy into the narrative of the election put out there by each parties marketing machine (IE the parties themselves and all the partisan PAC's etc..). To the extent the public is a willing participant in their own deception, I don't have too much sympathy.

Both sides are spending this kind of $$, and I'm of the opinion that it equals out in the wash.

Corps are over represented only because the people allow them to be.

If it's that big of an issue to you, get involved and tell people about it.

Or better yet litigate against it, and get a case to the SC.

Petition your congressman to sponsor a bill strengthening campaign finance regulations.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What? Speech is part of behavior
    who... said it wasn't? read closely. i think my syntax confused you.
    (by the way, Ivy pointed out discriminatory hiring practices by
    CFA earlier in this thread).
    i have no answer to that.
    oh wait, yes i do! discriminatory hiring practices are illegal. if it's true, then i'm sure those cases were dealt with on an individual basis, and need not be brought into the discussion here.
    I personally don't care if an individual's beliefs spill over into their business policies. If you want to run a business and wear your beliefs on your sleeve, then be prepared for people disagree with you vehemently, maybe even hate you or attack you.
    so... this still doesn't answer the question i asked initially.
    the problem i have is with the failure to properly connect the
    "guilty" parties to their actions.

That's life, something that real people deal with every day if they have big mouths. Since corporations are legally people, I don't see any problem with that.
    as i've said, the corporation didn't make the statement. the owner did. he did not make the statement as the owner of the business, but as a citizen who happens to be christian.

I can't wait to see a corporation die of cancer.
    enough of the digressing.

Nothing is going to happen to anyone on Wall Street other than the public being thrown a scapegoat or two. The threats are just a show
    for people like you.
    i failed to clarify: what i meant to say was that chic-fil-a is facing the legal threats i mentioned. and it [b]is[/i] unconstitutional and illegal for the mayors of cities to bar chic-fil-a from opening franchise locations on the grounds that the corporation they're affiliated with states an unpopular [or any other type of] opinion.

all of this alludes to the bigger point i'm trying to make here, which is that individual franchises are now suffering, not because some idiot CEO stepped in it, but because the people are acting on some nebulous connection between the "hatemonger*" statements made by a standard issue christian and the bottom of the food-chain empoyee.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    As the story is unfolding here it seems more and more like this is the straw on the camel's back moreso than being a sudden outburst.. I haven't heard Chik-fil-a in the news anytime before recently, though I admit I'd been too busy to watch the news before lately. I had thought this situation was the first of its kind, but apparently there has been a number of illegal violations on CFA's part as well as open social discrimination.. While they have the right to state their opinions, mixing the former with the latter creates a sort of shit storm that is the current situation.
    i don't know what that has to do with my post, but i'm not interested in their history. with the liberal bias the big business media companies have in this country, i can't believe they weren't covered for days turning into weeks, if such incidents are any more real than strawman arguments fabricated to support a phony campaign against a christian run business.

i don't eat there, i don't even like chicken...
    my point is that whether it's just the latest episode, "the straw on the camel's back" or whether it's a single incident flaring up a tense social atmosphere, there is literally religious persecution taking place here.
    even michael bloomberg, a notoriously excessively officious liberal, is shitting on these nazis for clamoring up about it.

*if you heard or read the full statement, you realize that the guy didn't actually say anything hateful or even remotely mean at all. all he really said was "not cool, guys. don't doubt the lord." and left.
    we fukin won boys