User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 331

  1. #111
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,647

    Default

    Maybe you guys should start your own thread "Should discriminatory hiring and firing be legalized for private businesses?"

    This has turned into a major derail.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  2. #112
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Well I don't know about all that. Never heard anything about them being systemically discriminatory in their hiring practices.

    Here's an article that came out after the gay marriage controversy though:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1709645.html
    CFA has been on the radar for years. There has been a boycott in the gay community for a long time before Cathy made the recent statements that made CFA blow up in the news. Their hiring/firing practices are not news. This is from 2007. http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0723/080.html You can say that people shouldn't try to work there if they don't fit the narrow scope of what the company wants in its employees, and truly, I would never work there (but I have options, and I don't already work there like some of the women who were fired AFTER they had babies- they presumably fit that narrow scope before they became mothers and therefore should be at home). The simple fact is that a for-profit business in the United States is not allowed to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex.

  3. #113
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I sure did, and I posted my response.
    Thanks for not addressing much of my post.

    Here is my response:

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I mean even in a small town in West Virginia you can choose between Chick-Fil-A, Arby's, McDonald's, Shoney's and Kroger.

    If anything, job opportunities for shitty low wage jobs are more plentiful in more slightly populated areas than in urban areas, where there's competition.
    This is all vague generalization.

    You don't know what her actual financial needs were.
    You don't know her actual educational background.
    You don't know what her actual opportunities were in the area in which she lived, that would FIT her financial needs as well as her schedule as a mother.

    Need I go on? You throw out these opinions without an ounce of forethought or research or trying to see the realistic possibilities. No, Marm just feels like dissing people who sue. Just because they sue. Regardless of their needs or case. Fine. We get it: You're pissed at "sue-happy people" who don't take responsibility for their lives, regardless of whether this woman happens to fit into that category. That's nice. I hate those kind of people too. (McDonald's coffee, anyone?) WTF does that have to do with THIS? (at least, until you show how it's connected?)

    Typically in any thread with controversy, we are exposed to yet another running expose on things that piss Marm off, without any actual commentary about the specific incident being discussed. At least spend five minutes Googling shit on the web before posting, so you can sound marginally informed about the specific thing you're dissing... if you care to be seen as relevant in any way to the discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    The simple fact is that a for-profit business in the United States is not allowed to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex.
    Exactly.

    At first glance, this is not a case of "Oh, god, I spilled my coffee on myself and it was too hot" or some other assinine stupidity caused by "sue happy" people, this is essentially a case of [sexual] discrimination, which has been illegal in this country for years. I will have to read more details about the case (and probably will, now, to understand the context); but that's how it scans.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Maybe you guys should start your own thread "Should discriminatory hiring and firing be legalized for private businesses?" This has turned into a major derail.
    Well, it's partially connected because it reflects a pattern of discriminationatory behavior by Chick-Fil-A, but if you feel it needs to be moved to another thread, then go for it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #114
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    She was a manager, not an entry-level fast-food worker.

  5. #115
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    She was a manager, not an entry-level fast-food worker.
    All the more reason to take her wares to Burger King. This isn't rocket science, it's basic tactical intelligence: if you want to work as a female and a manager of a fast food corp, you don't work for Southern Baptists.

    You can get a pretty good feel for corps sometimes even in the hiring process, and CERTAINLY way before they promote you to manager. In fact, at that point, you have such talent and experience you can take it elsewhere.

    I doubt she was desperate to work at Chick-Fil-A.

    Though it is awesome to sue a major corporation when you have a low-wage job, ain't that America, little pink houses, for you and me.

  6. #116
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Thanks for not addressing much of my post.

    Here is my response:



    This is all vague generalization.

    You don't know what her actual financial needs were.
    You don't know her actual educational background.
    You don't know what her actual opportunities were in the area in which she lived, that would FIT her financial needs as well as her schedule as a mother.
    She can go work at another corporation. WHAT THE FUCK. Nobody needs to work at Chik-Fil-A. Especially in the deep South, as I already mentioned, it's quite simple to go apply at Popeye's instead, much less competition than Southern California.

    I think I actually live in the working class and know single mothers and fast food chains or something, because all of this seems pretty absurd to me. ESPECIALLY in the deep South, it's easier to go get another shitty low wage job; not as simple, say, in Watts.

    Need I go on? You throw out these opinions without an ounce of forethought or research or trying to see the realistic possibilities. No, Marm just feels like dissing people who sue. Just because they sue. Regardless of their needs or case. Fine. We get it: You're pissed at "sue-happy people" who don't take responsibility for their lives, regardless of whether this woman happens to fit into that category. That's nice. I hate those kind of people too. (McDonald's coffee, anyone?) WTF does that have to do with THIS? (at least, until you show how it's connected?)

    Typically in any thread with controversy, we are exposed to yet another running expose on things that piss Marm off, without any actual commentary about the specific incident being discussed. At least spend five minutes Googling shit on the web before posting, so you can sound marginally informed about the specific thing you're dissing... if you care to be seen as relevant in any way to the discussion.
    Thanks for your personal attack, would like me to bring up your personal issues in the gender or sexuality threads? I never do, because I'm not as low as you.

    However, I'll just point out that everything I said still stands, everything I said is just fine, I stand by what I believe in, and the fact that I KNOW FOR A FACT you don't HAVE TO BE a single mother working at Chic-Fil-A.

    This is America, not Soviet Russia. You CAN go work at Subway.

    It's not like she had some profession where it's difficult to get a job in that field. Oh my god, are you people so middle class that you have no common sense?


    Exactly.

    At first glance, this is not a case of "Oh, god, I spilled my coffee on myself and it was too hot" or some other assinine stupidity caused by "sue happy" people, this is essentially a case of [sexual] discrimination, which has been illegal in this country for years. I will have to read more details about the case (and probably will, now, to understand the context); but that's how it scans.



    Well, it's partially connected because it reflects a pattern of discriminationatory behavior by Chick-Fil-A, but if you feel it needs to be moved to another thread, then go for it.
    Get some common sense; if I don't want to be treated badly, I don't work for certain companies. I'm starting to wonder if people are borderline retarded, or if they just have such an enormous sense of entitlment they choose to ignore things like they're working for a company with a clear moral agenda.

  7. #117
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    after reading this thread, why are people such assholes?
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  8. #118
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Thanks for your personal attack, would like me to bring up your personal issues in the gender or sexuality threads? I never do, because I'm not as low as you.
    If I was bringing up my own personal issues in a thread about Chick-Fil-A, then you'd have every right to do so. I'm referring to your behavior in this thread.

    Anyway, I'm done. Your reasoning is incoherent, and you don't bother to educate yourself on the topic at hand before taking the thread on a tangent, so I'm done wasting my time with you on this topic. We don't need to continue. Thanks.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #119
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    If I was bringing up my own personal issues in a thread about Chick-Fil-A, then you'd have every right to do so. I'm referring to your behavior in this thread.

    Anyway, I'm done. Your reasoning is incoherent, and you don't bother to educate yourself on the topic at hand before taking the thread on a tangent, so I'm done wasting my time with you on this topic. We don't need to continue. Thanks.
    Nope, my opinion differed from yours, I said it takes common sense for people to avoid working for corporations whom they know will have values who will screw them in the end. That's why I don't work at Wal-Mart, or get knocked up at go apply for a teaching job at Sacred Heart Academy. There's a thing called common sense, and personal responsibility, and while I agree that many people in the world are victims, people who choose to manage at Chick-Fil-A aren't it. There are steps required to being a manager of a fast food chain, you tend to know quite a bit about a company even as an hourly employee.

    I've expressed this opinion before in other threads about other businesses, and I shall do it again. and if anyone takes it upon themself to say I am irrational, stupid, or angry because I disagree with them - or if they happen to bring up issues I may have from other times or in life in general - then I will think low of them, because that's a sorry ass way to defend your own opinion.

  10. #120
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    The problem here is not that people who run Chick-Fil-A have an opinion but that they have the political power to fund the opinion. This is just a reminder to me that buying local and talking to human beings on the other end of transactions is preferable whenever possible. I can't talk to the Cathys about the problem with them funding ex-gay programs and throwing political weight behind anti-gay measures, so I don't think I ought to eat their sandwiches.

    But the "moral outrage of the hour" aspect of this is annoying, I agree.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. Is there a Rational Ground for Morality?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 04:03 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO