First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Another one was a Muslim employee who was fired the day after he refused to participate in a group prayer to Jesus at a company retreat.
    Ouch. I mean, that's clearly illegal, isn't it?

Christians can run the company, but unless it's a religious organization, they can't get away that kind of discrimination.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Another one was a Muslim employee who was fired the day after he refused to participate in a group prayer to Jesus at a company retreat.
    It's a Southern Baptist organization.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

Christians can run the company, but unless it's a religious organization, they can't get away that kind of discrimination.
    Okay I am becoming more conservative by the day, this is insane, really?

People can't openly advertise "hey we're a Christian company, we play Christian rock on our overhead speakers, maybe you shouldn't apply for a job here if you're not going to at least pretend to be a Christian."

It's not a public school, you're not applying for a government job.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Y u work at Chik-Fil-A if you want to be a liberal single mother?

Nope.
    Let's look at this lawsuit:

The Plaintiff is a female residing in Lawrenceville,
    Gwinnett County Georgia, and is a caregiver to her children....

On or about October of 1997, the Plaintiff was promoted to General Manager by prior management at the Chick-Fil-A restaurant at Howell Station.

Throughout her employment, the Plaintiff performed her duties in a satisfactory or above manner.

During the Plaintiff’s employment, Defendant Howard routinely made comments to the Plaintiff suggesting that as a mother she should stay home with her children.

In April of 2011, Defendant Howard hired Bill Green (male) as a General Manager.

In April of 2011, Defendant Howard began having management meetings with Jonathan Jurardo (male), Jimmy Guerrero (male), and Green (male), and not including the Plaintiff.

On or about June 27, 2011, Defendant Howard told the Plaintiff she was terminated but he could not provide a reason.

On or about June 27, 2011, Defendant Howard told Connie Gravitt that he terminated the Plaintiff so she could be a stay home mother.

On or about June 27, 2011, Defendant Howard told Barbara Honeycutt that she was being terminated so she could be a stay home mother.
    They allegedly said, "You're a mom, you should be at home with your kids instead of a general manager working for us," and fired her. Her rating was satisfactory and above, so it wasn't about performance.

http://www.glaad.org/files/101150536-Lawsuit_1.pdf

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Whoa... let's look at this lawsuit:

Very different than what you are saying here.

They allegedly said, "You're a mom, you should be at home with your kids instead of a general manager working for us," and fired her.

http://www.glaad.org/files/101150536-Lawsuit_1.pdf
    OKAY, and she's working for a Southern Baptist, private company.

I have yet to be shocked. I can't imagine how you guys are even offended. She should go work for Wendy's instead.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

You are correct. http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/statutes/index.cfm

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    OKAY, and she's working for a Southern Baptist, private company.
    Note:

Defendants are an “employer” engaged in an industry affecting commerce as defined by 42 U.S.C. § 2000e(b).

This Court has personal jurisdiction over Defendant Chick- Fil-A, Inc. (“hereinafter referred to as Chick-Fil-A”). Defendant Chick-Fil-A is a for-profit Georgia corporation. At all times relevant, Defendant Chick-Fil-A operated its fast food
    restaurant business within the State of Georgia.
    I have yet to be shocked. I can't imagine how you guys are even offended. She should go work for Wendy's instead.
    We're not shocked. Duh.

It's simply illegal. They're a for-profit company. It doesn't matter worth shit what religious beliefs the CEO holds. If he wants to run a non-profit Christian org or a Christian college, then go for it... and where something is an established religious organization, then at that point things become much more gray.

MBTI
    ISTx

Discrimination in hiring happens within any large business. Why does it happen? Because hiring authority is at the store level, and with hundres/thousands of stores operating, things like this are bound to happen. This isn't a Chick-fil-a/religious fundamentalism issue, it's a business issue. You'll find lawsuits of this kind at ANY business you want to look in to. Of course, Chick-fil-a's dirty laundry is going to be on full display given the recent "controversial" story. So I expect to hear plenty of these stories in regards to CFA.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

This isn't news that just came out since the recent "controversial" story. I was already not patronizing Chik Fil A because of their history of employment discrimination and donations to causes I don't believe in before this recent shitstorm got revved up.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I just think, laws or no, it defies common sense to expect certain things out of Southern Baptist companies; like the woman who expected to be pregnant outside of marriage and continue to teach at a private Christian school; or another who posted sexy pictures of herself publicly on My Space and teach public school.

People are fucking stupid, I don't care what is legal, if you want a real job, don't go work at Wal-Mart. If you want to be a topless dancer, don't teach middle school and post it on facebook.