User Tag List

First 3456 Last

I thought the opening ceremonies were ridiculous in the worst meaning of the word, but that's not a specific criticism of the London organizers or Danny Boyle. I just think that Olympic opening ceremonies have continually drifted away from anything even tangentially related to the Games themselves. Instead, we get a spectacle-laden history lesson about the host nation that requires a primer if you aren't a native.

I'm not saying that these nations should not be proud of the things they choose to depict, but the narratives (such as they are) seem woefully out of place and increasingly cryptic. I mean, yeah, the replica of Glastonbury was cool, the industrial revolution bit and how it led to the arrival of the rings was technically and visually impressive, and the Bond/Queen thing was refreshingly informal. But what does all this really have to do with the Olympics? What relation do a celebration of social media or a giant inflatable Voldemort have to the event?

As always, the parade of nations and the torch lighting were the best part because they were relevant. Host nations are free to put whatever they want in the ceremonies - it's their right to show off, and they've earned it. But I would advise them to keep their eye on the prize instead of going too far afield.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I thought the opening ceremonies were ridiculous in the worst meaning of the word, but that's not a specific criticism of the London organizers or Danny Boyle. I just think that Olympic opening ceremonies have continually drifted away from anything even tangentially related to the Games themselves. Instead, we get a spectacle-laden history lesson about the host nation that requires a primer if you aren't a native.

I'm not saying that these nations should not be proud of the things they choose to depict, but the narratives (such as they are) seem woefully out of place and increasingly cryptic. I mean, yeah, the replica of Glastonbury was cool, the industrial revolution bit and how it led to the arrival of the rings was technically and visually impressive, and the Bond/Queen thing was refreshingly informal. But what does all this really have to do with the Olympics? What relation do a celebration of social media or a giant inflatable Voldemort have to the event?

As always, the parade of nations and the torch lighting were the best part because they were relevant. Host nations are free to put whatever they want in the ceremonies - it's their right to show off, and they've earned it. But I would advise them to keep their eye on the prize instead of going too far afield.
    I like your summation.

The parade of nations was a wake up call for me because I had already forgotten the point of what I was watching.

I loved the cauldron idea very very very much. It was stunning. The parade of nations was most fun just listening to that female announcer yell so enthusiastically each country's name.

FigerPuppet

Uploading the part of the ceremony that all the buzz is about.

I award it six out of ten points.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Didn't watch it.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTP

I saw still pictures of flying Mary Poppins's and Chimney sweeps.....I might have to watch re-runs of that portion of the ceremony for the sheer nostalgia.

FigerPuppet

WATCH IT HERE

I finally managed to get my hands on the full ceremony in high quality, cut out the part and find a site that would accept the length/file size.

Now, I know what felt weird.

I think the modern era should of been at the closing ceremony because the transition was just weird. It felt kind of rushed.

I would be happy if the opening was mostly about the Industrial Revolution period (before would be fine too,) and the closing ceremony more about the modern/WWW period.

That would of left lots of room for the other mentions in the opening ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    WATCH IT HERE

I finally managed to get my hands on the full ceremony in high quality, cut out the part and find a site that would accept the length/file size.
    The whole things actually lasted about three hours.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Wrong thread!

I get confused in the mornings.