User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

While me and brothers were watching, we were having fun contemplating how would things look like in case the organizers decide to advertise the Brazilian public transport & health service (Rio de Janeiro will be the host of the 2016 games).

Eh, I guess we should focus on carnival.

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It was totally lame compared to the Chinese ceremony, but I think most countries would have a tough time following that show.

I noticed the Germans entered with the males wearing blue and the girls wearing pink. Is that the only way they can tell the sexes apart?
    Some people enjoy the kind of boring, militarily precise ceremony that China put on.

Having said that, the only part of the British ceremony that gave me a hard-on was the beginning with the industrial revolution and the amazing order in chaos.

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Well, I thought it was awesome and way more human and interesting than the Beijing ceremony. Way to reconcile the conflict between our pride in our history and what we value in modern life. And a sense of humour about the whole thing too. Zany, exuberant, individualistic. I loved it. Top marks from me.
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

FigerPuppet

Those French-tonguing assholes in the IOC are on a crusade against anyone uploading parts of the ceremony, so the video in OP is down. I would greatly appreciate if someone would post a link if/when they find a video of the act in question, as it is not nearly an as satisfying sample I have in my wank bank.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

As a whole I felt it was terribly down beat, I really dont think that the Chinese were engaging in a show of strength with theirs, I think it was more upbeat and lively.

There's something shockingly depressing about the UK and it was evident in the ceremony too, the place is overwhelmed by nostalgia for past glories or days gone by when the UK was more of a cultural leading light, there's nothing like a shared identity or culture in the place now besides a loathsome agreement that no one is going to talk about the fact the place is in serious decline, presided over by a bunch of sharks who have Queen performing stunts like Monty Python.

Its fast becoming the sort of place I'd struggle to think why anyone at all would choose to make it their home if they had the mega bucks to go elsewhere.

MBTI
    PING

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    To be fair, they opened with a passage from the Tempest.

Also, between forging that ring in the grey, smoldering wasteland area and the weird little Hobbit hill, I thought about Tolkien quite a bit, intentional or not.
    I agree with ZPowers, strong Tolkien vibe about the whole thing. And there was also a bit of "A Midsummer's Night Dream" in it as well. So they didn't forget shakespeare

Couldn't help showing this video of a London Olympics worker before the opening ceremony.

@Falcarius Was this how you felt?

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

This was the best bit.

Too bad no one else saw it.

I don't care too much for the NBC Olympic logo.

Sure, it's neat and everything, but, boring.

Anyway, here's what I saw.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    As a whole I felt it was terribly down beat, I really dont think that the Chinese were engaging in a show of strength with theirs, I think it was more upbeat and lively.

There's something shockingly depressing about the UK and it was evident in the ceremony too, the place is overwhelmed by nostalgia for past glories or days gone by when the UK was more of a cultural leading light, there's nothing like a shared identity or culture in the place now besides a loathsome agreement that no one is going to talk about the fact the place is in serious decline, presided over by a bunch of sharks who have Queen performing stunts like Monty Python.

Its fast becoming the sort of place I'd struggle to think why anyone at all would choose to make it their home if they had the mega bucks to go elsewhere.
    B*tch all you want about Northern Ireland, just leave London out of it. London's alright. I do see what you're saying though, comming home to London is always a magical experience, if I've been somewhere else in the UK, and I arrive here late at night and stuff is still open and sh*t.
    I always said, if I had to be from this gosh forsaken rock, then I'm glad it's a city like London.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat View Post
    B*tch all you want about Northern Ireland, just leave London out of it. London's alright. I do see what you're saying though, comming home to London is always a magical experience, if I've been somewhere else in the UK, and I arrive here late at night and stuff is still open and sh*t.
    I always said, if I had to be from this gosh forsaken rock, then I'm glad it's a city like London.
    Reading this post made me think of this:

[YOUTUBE="6xrt7-Xu2Fk"]No Place Like London[/YOUTUBE]
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."