123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Free Speech Debate: Boston Mayor tells Chick-Fil-A to get lost

On the heels of Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy's controversial public comments against same-sex marriage, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino fired off a letter to Cathy, urging him to abandon plans to expand the fast food chain to his city.

"In recent days you said Chick-fil-A opposes same-sex marriage and said the generation that supports it has 'an arrogant attitude,'" Menino wrote in a letter dated July 20 and published online Wednesday. "Now—incredibly—your company says you are backing out of the same-sex marriage debate. I urge you to back out of your plans to locate in Boston...."
    Full letter here:

I saw an interesting article earlier on FaceBook (don't have the URL right now) about someone who despises Chick-Fil-A, yet says it is a terrible precedent to run a business out of town through legal channels over a free speech issue and that citizens boycotting the establishment is the "proper way" to do things.

What do you guys think?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I'm laughing at it because I'm anti-corporate so I love when they do stupid blunders like this. I'm kind of sick of "social war" stuff to be honest. It gets tiring to deal with it all the time. I think the mayor was taking the moral high ground to help his election campaign down the road. Every move these fuckers make is calculated and I'm tired of firebrand polemics being used to incite people's emotions for the selfish motivations of the powerful.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm not sure of what I dissaprove of more.. Chick-fil-A, or anything that happens in Massachusetts. I think that's no way to run a city. Let them setup shop the way any business should be allowed to, and let people choose whether to patronise them or not.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Full letter here:

I saw an interesting article earlier on FaceBook (don't have the URL right now) about someone who despises Chick-Fil-A, yet says it is a terrible precedent to run a business out of town through legal channels over a free speech issue and that citizens boycotting the establishment is the "proper way" to do things.

What do you guys think?
    I agree that the government shouldn't have to power to prevent businesses from operating based on a disagreement with the owners beliefs. If chick fil-a was supporting gay marriage and Boston refused to let them do business there it would also be a problem. I think a boycott by the public is a better way to go.

I am in favor of marriage equality, but I would still eat at Chick-Fil-A. Who knows what the CEOs of other companies we patronize believe? Furthermore, who can say if the CEO's opinions are the same as the opinions of a majority of employees at the company? I'm sure high-ranking executives at plenty of companies have objectionable political opinions. If taken to its logical conclusion, a decision to boycott Chick-Fil-A would leave you sitting on your bare floor hungry and cold.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I am in favor of marriage equality, but I would still eat at Chick-Fil-A.
    Yeah. On a personal level (not really the main focus of this thread, but I guess it's unavoidable in terms of it coming up), I try really hard not to talk to my friends about it because I think it has to be a personal decision. For me, I just know too many gay and trans people who have been mistreated and misjudged by the CEO's very very public and political statements to feel good if I choose to eat there in the future, despite otherwise liking their food; if someone else can do so, that's their choice, but I personally can't.

(I know there are other corporations that I probably frequent who do give money to pro-conservative causes including this, but I typically don't find them being so publicly vocal and making an issue of their "values" in an in-your-face way, or contribute to groups who are so extreme as far as I know in their opposition to same-sex marriage. I found the CEO's comments simply offensive in his attitude, not necessarily his stance; I still do have conservative Christian friends who are against same-sex marriage but who aren't nearly as dismissive or insulting toward same-sex people, and I can accept that far better.)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

WALMART

I think it's fucking AWESOME.

I'm actually ecstatic reading this.

Also: i'll never stop eating there. lol.

Awesome.

Besides, I've only been to Chick-Fil-A once.

Since an In-N-Out and Five Guys (and a load of other options) are nearby, I'd rather go to In-n-Out or Five Guys anyways.

MBTI
    GONE

The mayor caanot prevent any business from coming. Public statements like this are more a public sign of support. I doubt other than the letter, really a press release, anything will be done (maybe a press conference). Public officials make stands about their community for better or worse all the time. At least he won't be sticking his finger in the presidents face. Though if the president were a Bush I would get a laugh.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Awesome.

Besides, I've only been to Chick-Fil-A once.

Since an In-N-Out and Five Guys (and a load of other options) are nearby, I'd rather go to In-n-Out or Five Guys anyways.
    What's up with these names?

Five Guys, In-N-Out, doing a Chick-Fil-A? (sounds kinky)