User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Free Speech Debate: Boston Mayor tells Chick-Fil-A to get lost

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    There are varying degrees of abuse, and this one scores really, really low on my care-o-meter. I think the multi-billion dollar corporation just might be able to pull through this.
    Oh, I was to care about your care-o-meter?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    @sprinkles and @Lateralus - you two just adressed what bothers me most about this issue.

But that also means that a certain part of every dollar you spend on a chicken sandwich goes to the Republican party and religious anti-gay lobby groups, so you are indirectly funding those causes...which might be perfectly fine if that's what you intend to do. You just should be aware of it when you buy your sandwich.
    Exactly. And if this Cathy fellow (why does that remind me of a boy named Sue??) were smart, he would keep his mouth shut, earn everyone's money with a good product, and use his profits to support whatever political or charitable causes he wants, below the radar.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere

Senior Member Array

I support the mayor's view on the matter and have no problem with his grandstanding as long as he does not actually pull any strings to prevent the business from locating there. I am not in favor of giving civil servants the power to impose their personal values on the public.

I don't think we should be banning businesses from cities because of what their CEO says (unless it is a policy of institutionalized discrimination, or an incitement to violence).

However, I will be avoiding chick-fill-a.

It is unfortunate that "Christian values" includes such a loathing of a part of the human condition. There are a lot of good things about those who believe in a biblical God.

Those who genuinely seek truth can disagree and debate, but the hallmark of getting closer to truth is an unforced consensus that forms around the facts. This is one big sign that many of the religions of the world are not close to the truth in many ways...and may even be actively rejecting it.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield