First 23456 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Yeah I've eaten there enough that I've noticed the Bible verses. I also understand they treat their employees with more dignity than some other fast food chains. I like In-n-Out.
    Chick-fil-a usually plays CCM over the speakers too....

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I've eaten there, it's obviously real chicken, or is there some joke I'm not getting?
    it was the obvious joke, you're greatly over-complicating matters...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That its possible to overturn the organically developed norms and social institutions of generations by legislating everyones opinions and what its permissable to think and say.

Hope that's plain and simple enough. Its as plain and simple as that.
    Seeing as this is a free speech thread, I feel it's on topic to ask: How do you think people are trying to legislate what it's okay to think and say? You're free to think and say whatever you wish. However, if you're looking for the right to think and say whatever you wish without the opportunity for other people to also have the right to think and say whatever they wish about your opinion, you're not going to find it. Nor should you.
    Moreover, the right to think and say what you want does not extend to the right to make other people do what you think they should. Also, the desire of others to hold their own opinions, and to live as they wish provided they let others do the same, is not arrogance but rather an important aspect of maturity.

We have been through this before. You have every right to your point of view, but the social norms and institutions you reference are neither organic, nor universal, nor supported by nature itself. Gender orientation is based in physiology. Your opinion is not.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Being a strong Libertarian and into personal freedom of choice and freedom of speech, the boycott reminds me too much of political correctness. The Jim Henson Company pulled their muppets from the Chic-fil-a kid's meals and I see that as their right and choice, and the politicians in Chicago and Boston telling Chic-fil-a that they are not welcome there is their opinion and also their right to exercise their free speech but actually putting their foot down and legally stopping Chic-fil-a from putting stores in those cities is WRONG and I think that violates Chic-fil-a's freedom of speech.

Chic-fil-a has a good chicken sandwich , I usually get a chicken sandwich or 2 from there once a month. I've been in Chic-fil-a and had to wait a while before getting my order and without even complaining the manager or cashier would apologize and hand me a complimentary free sandwich card for my next visit and that's happened a few times to me. They do seem to care about their customer's returning and serving food quickly. I like their chicken sandwich and will continue to eat there.

It would be nice if they'd open on Sunday and play a little rock music over their stereo

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolfen View Post
    Being a strong Libertarian and into personal freedom of choice and freedom of speech, the boycott reminds me too much of political correctness. The Jim Henson Company pulled their muppets from the Chic-fil-a kid's meals and I see that as their right and choice, and the politicians in Chicago and Boston telling Chic-fil-a that they are not welcome there is their opinion and also their right to exercise their free speech but actually putting their foot down and legally stopping Chic-fil-a from putting stores in those cities is WRONG and I think that violates Chic-fil-a's freedom of speech.
    Boston, or any city, cannot legally prevent a business from locating within its limits for a reason like this. All they can do is what the mayor did do: use his bully pulpit to ask them not to come in a public way.

I have never eaten in a chick-fil-a, nor will I, because I do not eat fast food.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ

An example of why I'm against abuses of corporate personhood.

Chick-Fil-A is against something? Really? Then let me hear its opinion from its own mouth. Does it have a mouth? Does it even have an opinion?

It's Mr. Cathy, who is against something. Corporate entities do not think or have opinions and the only reason they are entities is for legal proceedings. Chick-Fil-A does not get to have an opinion unless it's in court where a human may speak for it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    An example of why I'm against abuses of corporate personhood.

Chick-Fil-A is against something? Really? Then let me hear its opinion from its own mouth. Does it have a mouth? Does it even have an opinion?

It's Mr. Cathy, who is against something. Corporate entities do not think or have opinions and the only reason they are entities is for legal proceedings. Chick-Fil-A does not get to have an opinion unless it's in court where a human may speak for it.
    According to the Supreme Court, money = speech. Supposedly Chick-Fil-A donates money to anti-gay organizations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1644609.html

It's Huffington Post, so take that for what it's worth. That was near the top of a Google search for "Chick-Fil-A donations anti-gay groups".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm all for restricting corporate speech. If stockholders and/or CEOs want to say something, they should use their own mouths (literally) like everyone else. Don't hide behind a corporation.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    According to the Supreme Court, money = speech. Supposedly Chick-Fil-A donates money to anti-gay organizations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1644609.html

It's Huffington Post, so take that for what it's worth. That was near the top of a Google search for "Chick-Fil-A donations anti-gay groups".
    Yeah. They overturned the long standing concept that political support can't come from corporate coffers. Even PACs can't do that so I think it's way contradictory to let corporations do it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

@sprinkles and @Lateralus - you two just adressed what bothers me most about this issue.

But that also means that a certain part of every dollar you spend on a chicken sandwich goes to the Republican party and religious anti-gay lobby groups, so you are indirectly funding those causes...which might be perfectly fine if that's what you intend to do. You just should be aware of it when you buy your sandwich.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

Also they can donate their own money. When PACs hit up corporations for money it's supposed to come out of the exec's actual pockets.

Corporate money does not belong to the CEO or president. It belongs to the corporation. The shareholders and board of directors hire the CEO to manage things and decide what to do in the interests of the company. They may get a salary which they can do anything they want with but the corporate money itself is a different story.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

The mayor of San Francisco is apparently following suit.

“Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~