User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

It would have to be something much more than this to make me boycott a business....

Hell, I even used to pump gas at Citgo all the time, despite it being owned by the national oil company of Venezuela (which means I was monetarily supporting Hugo Chavez), simply because it was more convenient than other nearby gas stations.....I felt a little guilty, but I never stopped.

Though in this case, I guess its an easy non-stance to take: I support marriage equality, but I just don't consider people who disagree to be morally equivalent to racial bigots or the like....I just think they're wrong on this issue.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    It would have to be something much more than this to make me boycott a business....

Hell, I even used to pump gas at Citgo all the time, despite it being owned by the national oil company of Venezuela (which means I was monetarily supporting Hugo Chavez), simply because it was more convenient than other nearby gas stations.....I felt a little guilty, but I never stopped.

Though in this case, I guess its an easy non-stance to take: I support marriage equality, but I just don't consider people who disagree to be morally equivalent to racial bigots or the like....I just think they're wrong on this issue.
    Yeah if they were hiring Thai orphans in factories to process their chicken, that would bother me. Similar reasons why I won't shop at Wal-Mart and WILL NOT buy Nike.

But I frequent Mormon-owned establishments because despite the fact I may disagree with them on some issues, I don't see them actively harming anyone. It would be the same with this, I just see the owners of this company as being conservative Christians, oh well, they have a right to believe as they want.

On the other hand, if they started advocating burning gays at the stake, then I'd probably stop eating there.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That its possible to overturn the organically developed norms and social institutions of generations by legislating everyones opinions and what its permissable to think and say.

Hope that's plain and simple enough. Its as plain and simple as that.
    Yup. I honestly just wanted to know what you thought, as it could have shed some light on Cathy's comments. Thanks.

@Marmotini: haha, wait until you find out they're actually not serving chicken ...!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yup. I honestly just wanted to know what you thought, as it could have shed some light on Cathy's comments. Thanks.
    I dont know who Cathy is but its not that uncommon a response, like these sandwich guys say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That its possible to overturn the organically developed norms and social institutions of generations by legislating everyones opinions and what its permissable to think and say.

Hope that's plain and simple enough. Its as plain and simple as that.
    Seeing as this is a free speech thread, I feel it's on topic to ask: How do you think people are trying to legislate what it's okay to think and say? You're free to think and say whatever you wish. However, if you're looking for the right to think and say whatever you wish without the opportunity for other people to also have the right to think and say whatever they wish about your opinion, you're not going to find it. Nor should you.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

@Marmotini: haha, wait until you find out they're actually not serving chicken ...!
    I've eaten there, it's obviously real chicken, or is there some joke I'm not getting?

Chick-Fil-A is Southern Baptist and has even put religion-oriented toys in their kids meals. If I had a problem with them being thusly conservative, I would have boycotted them long ago. But all I see is that they are a private company who happens to have particular morals, and unless they started openly advocating hate and violence, I don't see any reason to go out of my way to avoid their restaurant; though honestly it's not a place I patronize as often as I did while still residing in North Carolina or West Virginia, they've just started to pop up outside of the South as Krispy Kreme did maybe a decade ago.

I'm sure I don't agree with the owners of Target on every issue, either, but I don't see them actively doing harm, I just see them as a company having a moral opinion, and it's clearly a family owned company (you can see that the two major players in the company have the same last name).

I would be a hypocrite if I said they shouldn't hold this opinion, as I've said in the past that Lowe's (or maybe it was Home Depot) had a right to pull their ads from a show about Muslim families because they don't support the Muslim faith.

On one hand I don't support businesses who hurt other people, but on the other I don't think we should force a moral agenda on anyone, if we don't want them forcing theirs on us.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I think Chic-fila (or whatever it's called) should be allowed to do business. Let the people talk with their patronage if they find those views offensive enough. I certainly wouldn’t use the services of a business that openly espoused a neo-nazi philosophy, but I don’t think the government should tell them they cannot exist on that basis.

however, I do find homophobia, especially when it is couched in some kind of pedantic pseudo-rational religiously based ideology, to be indicative of an unevolved and immature character.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I don't always eat fast food, but when I do I prefer In-N-Out or Chick-Fil-A.

What's up with these names?

Five Guys, In-N-Out, doing a Chick-Fil-A? (sounds kinky)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-N-Out_Burger There are two here in town, plus several others around the area.

BK may claim to let you have it your way, but they can't hold a candle to In-N-Out. Here's why: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/...cret-menu.html

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I think Chick-fil-a is delicious.
    Yeah, they're pretty good. There's one here in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I'm guessing Chick-Fil-A is simply owned by very conservative envangelical Christians.
    Yep.

Actually I think In-n-Out is also owned by Mormons. I think they have good food.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-N-Ou...r#Bible_verses
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I'm laughing at it because I'm anti-corporate so I love when they do stupid blunders like this.
    Same.

I don't like Chick-fil-a, anyway. I've always thought it was kind of nasty.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    Yeah I've eaten there enough that I've noticed the Bible verses. I also understand they treat their employees with more dignity than some other fast food chains. I like In-n-Out.