User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

  1. #1
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,628

    Default And how the hell did they afford that?

    How many times do you see or wonder this? I was at the shop earlier and saw a lot of vintage and seriously stylish and presumably expensive cars there, like classic cars from Bullet, the early Bond films etc.

    The guys who were driving them were early twenties if they were a day, assholes to boot and rude to people in the petrol station shop and the teller and one another, also blasting the horns at people when driving away.

    Anyway, my home town is literally a one horse town, it has little in the way of decent shops, a couple of food outlets, pubs frequented by paramilitaries, some chain stores with off licences located in close proximity to the estates of jobless people. I mean subway opening up in this town was an event. Its also a pretty insular place with a proud population which thinks highly of the place and is very incurious, if that's how it could be described, of anything more cultured or cultivated in taste. I knew someone who worked for the town council once as a business advisory official and he described it as "the kind of place not to open a book shop in".

    So I wondered how did these assholes afford these cars? Who are these assholes in fact?

    Do you ever have that kind of experience and where and what triggered it?

  2. #2
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    So I wondered how did these assholes afford these cars? Who are these assholes in fact?
    You sound incredulous and angry.

    While there are cases of people on welfare living in grand homes and going on nice vacations, those stories are probably the very few and far between outliers.

    Some people are bad with money and buy things on credit while they have little cash for necessities.

    Some people save up for unnecessary things because they just want them so bad.

    Some people have trust funds. But, shhhh, don't tell.

    Some people have high-paying jobs and lots of cash but live modestly, except for an expensive quirk or two.

    In the states, I think it's more often that people live on credit and beyond their means. Regardless of your actual income. You could argue that it's unwise to save up to buy a $50k car when you're still renting a studio and can't afford to buy a house. But again, whatchu gonna do?

    ps Maybe the cars were rentals or were not theirs. Again, appearances can be deceiving.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  3. #3
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    How many times do you see or wonder this? I was at the shop earlier and saw a lot of vintage and seriously stylish and presumably expensive cars there, like classic cars from Bullet, the early Bond films etc.

    The guys who were driving them were early twenties if they were a day, assholes to boot and rude to people in the petrol station shop and the teller and one another, also blasting the horns at people when driving away.

    Anyway, my home town is literally a one horse town, it has little in the way of decent shops, a couple of food outlets, pubs frequented by paramilitaries, some chain stores with off licences located in close proximity to the estates of jobless people. I mean subway opening up in this town was an event. Its also a pretty insular place with a proud population which thinks highly of the place and is very incurious, if that's how it could be described, of anything more cultured or cultivated in taste. I knew someone who worked for the town council once as a business advisory official and he described it as "the kind of place not to open a book shop in".

    So I wondered how did these assholes afford these cars? Who are these assholes in fact?

    Do you ever have that kind of experience and where and what triggered it?
    Maybe they don't own the cars. Maybe they have a trust fund. Maybe they invented something and are independently wealthy. No I have never cared enough to ponder this topic.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  4. #4
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    You could prob do a bullitt resto fairly inexpensively im sure. Im the same way as these punks, i find things that make me feel like im living beyond my means without actually doing so.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Maybe they don't own the cars. Maybe they have a trust fund. Maybe they invented something and are independently wealthy. No I have never cared enough to ponder this topic.
    I have thought about it because I like to imagine that some sort of karma or justice will eventually mean the douches wont have the cash, also I just dont know how they could have it, I remember someone I know telling me that its usually an indication that someones family has drugs or paramilitary connections, especially here where that's really how the money is made, at least if its made quickly, some families have owned virtual monopolies for generations on things like sandwich shops or coffee shops in towns were franchises havent made an in road but those families tend to be from usual religious or church communities, the the brethern or mormons.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    You could prob do a bullitt resto fairly inexpensively im sure. Im the same way as these punks, i find things that make me feel like im living beyond my means without actually doing so.
    I really like it when I can do that but its the exception rather than the rule really.

  7. #7
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Yeah... especially with Armenians on welfare driving BMW's >.<

    Don't worry not a hater. Bharev laves...

    And mama koonem

    @ Lark: have you ever considered asking THEM?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    You sound incredulous and angry.

    While there are cases of people on welfare living in grand homes and going on nice vacations, those stories are probably the very few and far between outliers.

    Some people are bad with money and buy things on credit while they have little cash for necessities.

    Some people save up for unnecessary things because they just want them so bad.

    Some people have trust funds. But, shhhh, don't tell.

    Some people have high-paying jobs and lots of cash but live modestly, except for an expensive quirk or two.

    In the states, I think it's more often that people live on credit and beyond their means. Regardless of your actual income. You could argue that it's unwise to save up to buy a $50k car when you're still renting a studio and can't afford to buy a house. But again, whatchu gonna do?

    ps Maybe the cars were rentals or were not theirs. Again, appearances can be deceiving.
    You know I think you've got it!

    There was something about the age group that made me wonder how you'd access a lot of ready cash suddenly, it looked like a "credit card party", I've read about this becoming common in some parts of Northern Ireland, people without a credit record and unlikely to ever need a clean record just get as many cards as they can when they old enough to and live the "gangsta pimpin' " lifestyle until the banks cut them off.

    Its a sign of the times though because none of the people in my peer group growing up had cards or blew their student benefits or loans on anything other than their tuition fees and education.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Yeah... especially with Armenians on welfare driving BMW's >.<

    Don't worry not a hater. Bharev laves...

    And mama koonem

    @ Lark: have you ever considered asking THEM?
    I dont speak to assholes as often in person, outside of my working day, as I do online.

  10. #10
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    How many times do you see or wonder this? I was at the shop earlier and saw a lot of vintage and seriously stylish and presumably expensive cars there, like classic cars from Bullet, the early Bond films etc.

    The guys who were driving them were early twenties if they were a day, assholes to boot and rude to people in the petrol station shop and the teller and one another, also blasting the horns at people when driving away.

    Anyway, my home town is literally a one horse town, it has little in the way of decent shops, a couple of food outlets, pubs frequented by paramilitaries, some chain stores with off licences located in close proximity to the estates of jobless people. I mean subway opening up in this town was an event. Its also a pretty insular place with a proud population which thinks highly of the place and is very incurious, if that's how it could be described, of anything more cultured or cultivated in taste. I knew someone who worked for the town council once as a business advisory official and he described it as "the kind of place not to open a book shop in".

    So I wondered how did these assholes afford these cars? Who are these assholes in fact?

    Do you ever have that kind of experience and where and what triggered it?
    I think this when I see really young people driving this ridiculously nice cars especially. I think to myself 1 of 2 things...

    1. They have a really rich parent that spoils them.
    2. They deal drugs.

Similar Threads

  1. [E4] How the hell did I remember my password?!
    By Domino in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-01-2016, 08:01 PM
  2. how the hell do you focus?
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 11-07-2010, 10:47 AM
  3. How the hell...
    By Nocapszy in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 11:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO