User Tag List

123 Last

Violence and Identity

A sure way to establish identity is through violence, so the violence we saw in the movie theatre in Colarado can be seen as a quest for identity.

And as in the movie theatre in Colarado so in Syria : identity is being established through violence.

In Syria our violence establishes our identity as Sunni, or Shia, or Christian, or Alawite, while in Colarado violence established our identity as Bain, the enemy of the Dark Knight.

As we are caught between the literate individual and the electronic tribe, we don't know who we are.

And naturally we turn to violence to find out.

WALMART

i must unfortunately admit that violence is part of my character. i feel i try to use it as a positive.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    i must unfortunately admit that violence is part of my character. i feel i try to use it as a positive.
    How so? (just curious)

I believe that every human is capable of violence, even murder, given the right situation. Its what is within the context that surrounds that violence is what makes it "good or bad" Pretty simple concept.

Raping, torturing a 12 year old girl before you kill her? Bad. Very bad. Evil. Villain.

Killing the man that raped and tortured and eventually killed this little girl? Good. Hero.

Almost all things are called for in a given situation. And if we don't forget Murphy's law, we may encounter that situation before we die.

So I think it would be wise to not cast judgement on "violence" necessarily. Its like claiming that a tool is a bad thing. Inherently, a hammer is a good thing. It can build houses, pound in a unruly nail that keeps wedging its way out, etc. It could also pound your head in.

I feel like everything Ive stated is pretty obvious, and by the way Im not talking to anyone in particular, just responding to the thread. I think that the media portrays violence as always a bad thing, and unfortunately, so does the court of law. I heard about a man in texas who beat a man who raped his daughter until he died. Good for him! If he would have left it up to the court, they probably would have had an investigation, pinned the wrong person or never had enough "evidence" to get the right one, and if they did, probably sentence him to about 5 years in prison with good behavior. If I was that girls dad I would have done the same exact thing.

Luckily, texas is pretty fucking awesome, and they turned a blind eye. They knew what happened but....theres really no evidence that is was the dad that killed the guy right? And they just let it go.

Ive never personally been violent....I would at least like to maybe be in a good bar fight before I die....(on my bucket list) but if the situation came I definitely believe I could be. The most Ive ever done is push my brother before when he called me a bitch. And I dont regret it, he deserved it.

Verbal violence is a different story. I dont cuss when Im fighting with someone (or try not to) because to me it shows immaturity and a loss of control of the situation (letting your feelings rule you) Instead, if Im really angry, and the person deserves it or needs to hear it, I can say really cutting things that I know will get to the other person. This is in extreme situations though (its very rare), and even then, it never really solves anything. It's more of a release of anger I suppose. At that point, I want to hurt the other person. I guess that means if I was a guy I would probably fight them at that point.

WALMART

@ChihuahuaRevolt ,

Much of what you say is what i would have said.

I view myself as a protector type. When bar fights break out im usually the guy positioned between the two, when friends are being picked on ill take their side, stuff like that. I get a thrill from de-escalating situations like this. Perhaps it is ego.

But having such an "obligation" has lingering effect on my psyche, i feel my mind visits the subject of violence with fair frequency.

I think the thread is balls.

Violence isnt a part of anyones identity, it shouldnt be.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think the thread is balls.

Violence isnt a part of anyones identity, it shouldnt be.

You offer two conflicting objective statements =P

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    You offer two conflicting objective statements =P
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6s5xhcBiDw"]DJ Shadow[/YOUTUBE]

You're not going to find identity in a dark theater, full of tear gas, and helpless innocents. If this guy wanted an identity, he should have picked a more strenuous way to test himself. All he's doing is saying he can only assert himself when everyone else is silent. What can he do, when they're not silent, when the forces around push back? All objects in the universe find an identity this way, but this guy isn't a really a good example of it.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    You're not going to find identity in a dark theater, full of tear gas, and helpless innocents. If this guy wanted an identity, he should have picked a more strenuous way to test himself. All he's doing is saying he can only assert himself when everyone else is silent. What can he do, when they're not silent, when the forces around push back? All objects in the universe find an identity this way, but this guy can't.

Youre thinking too hard about the destination, not the quest.

Not to say i disagree.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Violence is a part of every human beings identity. As is hate, anger, jealousy, selfishness, etc. Also a part of every humans identity is love, altruism, selflessness, etc.

Also, violence is not only physical. Merriam-webster defines it as intense, turbulent, or furious and often destructive action or force.

Violence is a part of being human, its how you use it or let it use you.