User Tag List

First 123 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    A sure way to establish identity is through violence, so the violence we saw in the movie theatre in Colarado can be seen as a quest for identity.

And as in the movie theatre in Colarado so in Syria : identity is being established through violence.

In Syria our violence establishes our identity as Sunni, or Shia, or Christian, or Alawite, while in Colarado violence established our identity as Bain, the enemy of the Dark Knight.

As we are caught between the literate individual and the electronic tribe, we don't know who we are.

And naturally we turn to violence to find out.
    When the premise is false, the conclusion must be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Violence isnt a part of anyones identity, it shouldnt be.
    It's only natural we should moralise about violence, as violence touches us at a visceral level, but to understand the function of violence, we need to take a detached view.

But to loose one's identity in the modern world, it is like being a todler lost in New York.

So whether one is a highly intelligent doctoral student in neurology, who has dropped out and forced to work in McDonalds, or an arab in Syria, who can see the modern, democratic world on Youtube, but is forced to live under a torturing dictatorship, both feel the same panic and horror a todler feels lost in New York.

And just as a todler will scream out their panic and horror, the doctoral student and the arabs scream their panic and horror with AK-47s.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    When the premise is false, the conclusion must be.
    Nah. If there aren't 2 sheep, that doesn't mean there isn't 1 sheep.

Also, Bane*

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Nah. If there aren't 2 sheep, that doesn't mean there isn't 1 sheep.
    I'm laughing too hard at tonight's posts in this thread to think about whether that applies here.

Yes. My identity is built upon violence: The violence of laughter.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm laughing too hard at tonight's posts in this thread to think about whether that applies here.

We meet again... BANE.

We always know when a politician is on the way out here because we start to laugh at them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

This thread has made me want to punch someone.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We always know when a politician is on the way out here because we start to laugh at them.
    You guys are a tough crowd.

At least the politician knows he might have a new line of work as a comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    This thread has made me want to punch someone.
    BWA HA HA HA HA HA!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

You guys are a tough crowd.
    Yes, we have replaced coups and revolutions with laughter, the cruellest rejection.

And this complements our sense of humour which is deprecating, and not just self deprecating.

Read about the universe in general, and the first impression you should stumble upon is that it's a violent place. And we ourselves aren't a seperate part of it. We are the universe. Our very molecules were already off to a great start in "violence". We are borne from the stars. Stars that lost the upper hand in trillion year long wars against gravity, creating explosions that are 600 million times that of the Hiroshima bomb. And the elements reshaped.. and even spawned life. And after your species grew eyeballs and teeth, you hunted down and fed on those that didn't have the same advantages. And you continue this to this day. No matter how much you try to sterilize existence, violence is everywhere. Even if you outsource the job and get your violence packed fresh in a grocery store, and label it "bacon" and "eggs". Unless you're a Jainist monk or something. But even, you're probably screwing that up too.

Not trying to be dramatic about this or anything, but my point.. I guess.. is you have to make some room for it, even if you don't want to. The only difference with people is a matter of scale.