Default Gun Control Thread

Have at it...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Oh, joy... I hate watching this forum discuss gun-control... Well, and politics in general, for that matter.

Isn't there already a thread on this though?

Edit: My opinion though, is that the only way I would ever support a ban of guns is if you could take them away from everyone. I mean remove them from existence. Actually, that would be a preferable world for me, since I would rather go after someone or defend myself with a knife, baseball bat, or sword than a firearm. But as long as a government has the right to have weapons, I believe the people should have the same rights. I think the world would be a bit more interesting if everyone carried a weapon anyways. And anyways, I don't trust that taking weapons away from people that actually follow the law is a good idea.

I think it's funny how governments often claim that people are irresponsible and shouldn't own guns, often citing incidents like the recent theater massacre. However, don't they see the irony in that? If you think about it, you can compare governments to people. Just because one government is responsible with its weapons, doesn't mean all of them are. And yet, of course they would never dial back their rights to use weapons on us...

Basically, I think that gun bans are an incredibly stupid idea, if people want to kill each other they will. As I have said before, humans are incredibly fragile creatures, and it is not that difficult to kill someone. You sure as hell don't need a gun to do so. People often claim that guns make it easier to do so, and this is true. But the same is also true of bricks, knives, hammers, pipes, chemicals, shards of glass, rope, etc. be creative. Also, you have to be careful about how you go about controlling guns so you don't make the situation worse. One of the groups of laws which piss me off the most are the "you can't bring a weapon here" laws... I find them incredibly stupid, because the only people who will follow those laws are the people who don't need to be following them...

And then you end up with the situation where a country prides itself on low gun crime rates, but in that situation you can almost always point to an increased rate of other weapons being used in crimes... So what exactly does it accomplish in the long run?

*sigh* This whole topic in general tends to piss me off... Which I find somewhat ironic considering I don't even own a gun, and have little intention of ever owning one... So basically, you can just ignore me.

If anyone cares, I can clarify further, but I'm getting sick of typing, this is a lot more than I normally write for non-academic reasons...
    Last edited by Tyrinth; 07-25-2012 at 10:20 AM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post

Isn't there already a thread on this though?
    There are dozends of them. Well, it is often part of a discussion and many will ultimately derail in that direction so a central thread might be a good idea after all.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Come on, I know there are a bunch of folks on this forum that would be interested in having a discussion on this.

MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I don't really think its possible to take all guns, for two reasons. People will not give them up, and guns are sold illegally like its nothing. There will always be the black market or some alternative. Gun laws only effect law abiding citizens. I think the laws could be a lot more strict as far as the ability to obtain guns, but I'm not entirely convinced we'll be able to keep them out of the hands of those who really want them.
    2w3 - 6w7 - 9w8 sp/sx

Protip: Assume everyone is mistyped until proven otherwise.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Why would a civilian ever need to own a 50 calibre rifle? Because it's legal to buy in the USA.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Oh, joy... I hate watching this forum discuss gun-control... Well, and politics in general, for that matter.

My opinion though, is that the only way I would ever support a ban of guns is if you could take them away from [i]everyone.
    This.

However, the fact that assault weapons are not banned in the United States seems ridiculous. In my opinion, these weapons should only be legal in certain (very restricted) occasions.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Why would a civilian ever need to own a 50 calibre rifle? Because it's legal to buy in the USA.
    Why should it be illegal?

I.E. - Where is the crime data to justify making .50 rifles illegal?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Why should it be illegal?

I.E. - Where is the crime data to justify making .50 rifles illegal?
    Exactly. If people want to go after a specific caliber, they should target the 9mm. When they target the less frequently used ones it's often because there is less opposition, not because they are some major threat. Actually, .50bmg rifles aren't really the most practical for use in many crimes...

Edit: I should probably stop posting in this thread. I'm getting worked up, and that's never good for me in the long run... Although I think we all know I'll likely continue should I see any reason to do so...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    You have the right to bear arms.

And as a new product developer, it's necessary in developing new rounds.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'