First 101819202122 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I don't think saying we need more or less control can really cover all of the opinions out there.

I want both more and less control. The problem isn't the level of the control as much as the implementation. I think downright bans on weapons are incredibly stupid, same goes for bans on concealed carry. I also think that most laws that say you can't take a gun to a certain place have their own level of stupidity. Do they really think that someone intent on commiting murder is going to follow one of those rules? In those categories I feel less control would be beneficial.

However, I don't see a problem with requiring training or safety classes with the purchase of firearms, nor do I see a problem with registration of them.

I'm fairly new to the realm of firearm use though, so take my words with a grain of salt.
    That's pretty much my viewpoint as well. I don't mind having the registration or safety classes at all. And I agree that outright bans are ridiculous.
    I just covered the "for" or "against" parts of the debate in my post, then went back and actually read a bit of the thread. Because I love rushing into things like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ego Reparate; Ob Me Non Deficiat.
    INTJ - RCOEI - sx/sp/so - Tritype: 683 (6w5-8w9-3w4) - True Neutral
    "Yeah, wisdom always chooses/These black eyes and these bruises"
    "Over the heartache that they say/Never completely goes away..."

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Pretty soon people are going to remember that they can make their own stuff period.

The Wright Brothers didn't sit there and wonder "how make plane?". They didn't say "we don't have a factory". They just made their plane and flew it. After they set the groundwork then all kinds of people started making planes.

With all the private machine shops and the ability to buy steel and molding equipment and composite materials, with some people building entire cars and boats from scratch, it's a wonder that we haven't seen more independent firearm replication already.

All 3D printing really did is clue people in that they could have done this all along if they really set their mind to it.
    Apparently someone was inspired by the Can-Do-It-Yourself attitude and pissed off the technology creators who want the cat back in its bag:

Aspiring gun maker has 3D-printer revoked over plans to print firearms

You can’t always print what you want.

Cody Wilson, a law student and aspiring gun maker at the University of Texas, won’t be able to manufacture his so-called “Wiki Weapons” as planned after the 3D printer he leased to create the firearms at home was seized back by its maker.

Wilson, 24, is on a mission to develop a design for a gun that can be widely shared and then “printed” around the world, using 3D printing technology that makes it possible for individuals to produce physical objects in plastic or other materials from digital designs.

"We're not trying to be a business," Wilson told the Daily News. "We want to give it away. The goal is to have workable designs that anyone can use and modify as they please."

The self-described libertarian has described the project, dubbed “Defense Distributed” as "the world's first 3D printable defense system,” and says he wants to create a world in which everyone has access to guns.
    I feel like this is some serious naivete on the part of the creators. What did they think was going to happen? That all buyers were going to only use the tech. to do legal activities? Please.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Manufacturing guns for personal use is actually legal, selling them without getting the right licenses is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Manufacturing guns for personal use is actually legal, selling them without getting the right licenses is not.
    According to the article:

But Stratasys, the company that created the 3D printer Wilson planned to use to create his prototypes, quickly repossessed its equipment when it got wind of his plans.

Arguing that Wilson's lack of a federal firearms manufacturer's license prohibits him from creating weapons, the Stratsys legal team dispatched a team to take back the item.

"We do not intend to engage in a legal debate with you," Stratasys said in a letter Wilson posted to his website. "It is the policy of Stratasys not to knowingly allow its printers to be used for illegal purposes.”
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    According to the article:
    Still, if you create guns that follow federal guidelines.. not fully automatic, all those rules, you can make your own firearms legally.

Still, if you create guns that follow federal guidelines.. not fully automatic, all those rules, you can make your own firearms legally.
    The article did not stipulate that --it only said 'creating weapons.' Are you clarifying because you believe the publication is reporting erroneously, or that Stratasys is acting erroneously?

WALMART

I'll be luke-warm and rapidly cooling the day my firearms are taken from me.

I'm pro many forms of regulation, but standard firearms for standard people is fair enough to society.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The article did not stipulate that --it only said 'creating weapons.' Are you clarifying because you believe the publication is reporting erroneously, or that Stratasys is acting erroneously?
    Statasys is acting under incorrect assumptions, maybe knowingly. A good tip off is that they just don't want to even talk about the legality, there is obviously something to talk about. But, I wouldn't blame them for finding any reason for pulling the lease on a man creating firearms with their equipment and publishing it in a blog.. which happened to make waves when he first started the project on the sites I read.

That's a home workshop project I could get with, I would love to build big sheds and stuff too.

MBTI
    INFJ

Apparently someone was inspired by the Can-Do-It-Yourself attitude and pissed off the technology creators who want the cat back in its bag:

Aspiring gun maker has 3D-printer revoked over plans to print firearms

I feel like this is some serious naivete on the part of the creators. What did they think was going to happen? That all buyers were going to only use the tech. to do legal activities? Please.
    I don't think they'd be able to do that if he actually owned the printer. He was leasing it so it actually wasn't his property. Kind of a lame thing for the company to do though.