User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

I see no one recognises the strategy yet.

Emphasizing questions of distribution over questions of control requires not the abolitionists but the gun nuts themselves to start talking about the dangers of distributing guns more widely. They do want to distribute them more widely, at least as widely as will let them into their own hands, and they have for many years been able to be that side of the argument. But what will they say if they have to debate the position of universal distribution?

Well, actually, as you can see from the thread, they'll say nothing.

So meanwhile, what kind of government does arm only some of the population? Is there actually any reason at all to not arm all of the population?

Your rights to bear arms have not been infringed (too much, so far). In fact, they've been augmented. You have not just the right to bear arms, but the opportunity too. Mass production and wide distribution gave you this. So why not try for universal distribution? Surely the world would be safer.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Gosh, next time an American opens up on you in a movie theatre or mall with an assault weapon firing sixty rounds a minute, you can draw your gun and have a gun fight in the middle of a large crowd of frightened and terrified Americans and their children.

But should you visit Oz, you will find we have not had a gun massacre since we banned guns in 1996.
    You ought to reread my send.. I think a lot of arguments for NOT banning guns are stupid. The logic behind it is stupid. The "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" BS and whatnot.

I don't really expect anyone outside of the Southern US to understand why owning weaponry is such an important topic to us. It is a cultural thing. It has nothing to do with self-defense, independence, hunting, etc. These all add to it.. but it is cultural for Americans to own guns. It is something unique to our country and the people within it. I don't understand, and never will, why women wear Burqas when nothing really mandates it in any sacred texts. But I don't tell them to take the damn things off just because I don't agree with them and think they could potentially be security risks.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I don't understand, and never will, why women wear Burqas
    Self defense.

There are after-market modifications that will turn them into ninja pyjamas, but these are illegal.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Out of curiosity, has anyone here tried to find out if there's a correlation between gun control laws and gun related deaths?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Out of curiosity, has anyone here tried to find out if there's a correlation between gun control laws and gun related deaths?
    I think that would be a bit bias though.. Gun-related deaths would go down if the population of guns available went down.. Now homocides and violent crimes in general lowering with gun control laws in place, I could see that study holding water.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

I think that would be a bit bias though.. Gun-related deaths would go down if the population of guns available went down.. Now homocides and violent crimes in general lowering with gun control laws in place, I could see that study holding water.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    [IMG]
    Well, it has to be unbiased data.. Technically, there is less rape in Alaska than there is in, say, New York, because the population of New York is way higher than Alaska. But the ratios make Alaska a much higher threat than a more populace area.

Well, it has to be unbiased data.. Technically, there is less rape in Alaska than there is in, say, New York, because the population of New York is way higher than Alaska. But the ratios make Alaska a much higher threat than a more populace area.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    We would get a lot more "bang for our buck" if we ended the War on Drugs when it comes to reducing violence.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

How is the first thing you mentioned not a reasonably desired outcome, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    We would get a lot more "bang for our buck" if we ended the War on Drugs when it comes to reducing violence.
    That's 100% true, but since this is a topic about gun control specifically I just thought someone should actually be digging up the relevant data. There's also no reason not to do both if both made a difference.
    Go to sleep, iguana.