User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Why does the distribution matter?

Guns are legal, therefore, those with the cash and the inclination (and no felony record) can buy them. I don't see any reason to distribute guns more equally.
    Guns in the home are for protection.
    If you outlaw guns, only outlaws have guns.

These are not promptings toward a more even distribution of weapons?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTJ

Interesting too that the UN is busily not making an effective international arms treaty at the moment. It's like an international demonstration of how stupid it is to talk of control when by far the more substantial process is distribution.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

My thoughts on gun control:

[YOUTUBE="Db0Y4qIZ4PA"]Gun Control[/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    at work today, there was a guy working on electrical somethingorother outside in the back alley. i work in virginia, which is an open carry state.
    this guy had a 9mm in a holster strapped to his belt, and was indeed carrying openly. the weapon was plainly visible to anyone, whether you were looking for it or not.

unafraid, i asked him how many times he'd been robbed this week.
    anyone wanna guess what his answer was?
    Good heavens, if I saw anyone carrying a gun, I would immediately call the police.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Good heavens, if I saw anyone carrying a gun, I would immediately call the police.
    You would call the police on the police?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

Btw, while I think you've performed admirably, ZPowers, I have to give the upperhand in this argument to the two-headed monster that is edgar the lowtech redneck. It seems there is warranted concern on the parts of the guns rights crowd, and that you're making the real threat out to be less than what it really is, as you're not exactly a pro-guns rights kinda guy. I mean, I don't hear you bellowing in the same manner when it comes to the abortion rights lobby, and we know how much that issue gets a large swath of the left going, and the right to abortion isn't nearly as clearly spelled out in the Constitution (if it really is at all) as the right to bear arms, leads to far more deaths each year than guns in this country, and the real threat to each, from my purview, is rather comparable.
    A little OT:

Heh, I may be a bit of a fence sitter (who sometimes leans a bit) on gun control, but I've had good conversations about it before. Abortion, on the other hand, I actively prefer to let other people deal with. In my experiences, that conversation can't even be qualified as a dead end: that implies at least a little movement, and it starts at a brick wall.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    You would call the police on the police?
    It's interesting, even if our police so much as pull their guns out of their holster, they must justify this in writing to an independent body.

Ginkgo

It's interesting, even if our police so much as pull their guns out of their holster, they must justify this in writing to an independent body.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

WICTOR!
    in my land, the land of the free, the police will laugh at me and remind me of the crucial legality of possessing lethal weapons.
    we fukin won boys

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

From Politico:

Obama: AK-47s belong on battlefield, not streets

NEW ORLEANS – President Obama touched the sensitive issue of guns here on Wednesday, pivoting off last week’s Colorado movie theater shootings to call for a “consensus around violence reduction" in the country.

With the last public event of a four-day trip that started with a visit to the Aurora, Colo., hospital where almost two dozen victims were brought after the shootings, Obama said he supports measures to conduct background checks to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, fugitives and the mentally ill.

“These steps shouldn’t be controversial, they should be common sense,” he told the National Urban League conference.

Obama's remarks in the Big Easy about guns were the most extensive of his term, going farther than what he said after the 2011 shooting in Tucson, where six people were killed, and former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) and a dozen others survived gunshot wounds. White House aides have acknowledged new gun laws are still politically impossible in the current election-year climate, but Obama's comments suggest he's at least willing to talk about the issue.

“I – like most Americans – believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual the right to bear arms,” Obama said. “I think we recognize the traditions of gun ownership passed on from generation to generation, that hunting and shooting are part of a cherished national heritage.

“But I also believe that a lot of gun owners would agree that AK-47s belong in the hands of soldiers and not in the hands of crooks. They belong on the battlefield of war, not on the streets of our cities,” he added.

Obama bemoaned the lack of political will to tackle gun issues, noting how congressional leaders have so far shown little interest in advancing new legislation following the Colorado shooting.

“When there’s an extraordinarily heartbreaking tragedy like the one we saw, there’s always an outcry immediately after for action,” Obama said. “There’s talk of new reforms. There’s talk of legislation. And too often those efforts are defeated by politics and by lobbying and eventually by the pull of our collective attention elsewhere. But what I said in the wake of Tucson is we’re going to stay on this persistently.”

Obama said he'd "continue to work with members of both parties and with religious groups and with civic organizations to arrive at a consensus around violence reduction."

And Obama had a message to Americans that went beyond government.

“As we convene these conversations, let’s be clear even as we debate government’s role, we have to understand that when a child opens fire on another child, there’s a hole in that child’s heart that government alone can’t fill," he said. "It’s got to be up to us as parents, as neighbors and as teachers and as mentors to make sure our young people don’t have that void inside them. It’s up to us to spend time with them. To pay more attention to them. To show them more love and they learn to love each other and they learn to love one another and they grow up knowing what it is to walk a mile in somebody else’s shoes and to view the world in somebody else’s eyes."
    Here we go...