User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Default Ayn Rand Objectivism.

I've been reading about this a little bit and I wanted to get some other people's opinions on Rational egoism/self-interest.

Deep down, she knew she was an ugly and an unlikable bitch in the first place. So she made a philosophy out of it.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think she had grief against Russia because of personal experiences so capitalists here adopted her experience as proof that capitalism is INHERENTLY true and morally correct because it was in their self interest to do so culturally. This is why most rontards and the like are either mitt Romney clones or rednecks
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Ginkgo

She forgot values: both an objective source of values and a subjective source of values. In doing so, she forgot that selflessness can and does exist, and that not all personal affairs are based on self-interest. Even from the perspective of a lone individual, living by her philosophies is not satisfactory because egoism skews perceptions, and if perceptions are skewed, than a necessary component to the dynamics of her morality is skewed. I think Will is only born out of principle that does not depend on perception; selfishness undermines what I think the core of libertarianism is: Free Will and responsibility independent of the state.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Extreme backlash against her Soviet home's ideology. More ironically, it was backlash against what the Soviet government claimed to be about, as if the Soviet government even remotely lived up to that. Anyhow, she seems to say that a lot of things are true just because, begging the question, you know? Her moral prescriptions don't seem to survive game theory very well.

That's not even touching on the ridiculous of her views about complex, high order issues like government and the economy.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    She forgot values: both an objective source of values and a subjective source of values. In doing so, she forgot that selflessness can and does exist, and that not all personal affairs are based on self-interest. Even from the perspective of a lone individual, living by her philosophies is not satisfactory because egoism skews perceptions, and if perceptions are skewed, than a necessary component to the dynamics of her morality is skewed. I think Will is only born out of principle that does not depend on perception; selfishness undermines what I think the core of libertarianism is: Free Will and responsibility independent of the state.
    Certain parts of Rand's moral theory are interestingly enough Kantian.

I argued with Randroids in favor of Kant for many, many years.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

She got pissed off - as an aparently relatively priveleged child - that her mother gave one of her teddy bears to the poor, so there was some kind of innate kernel of nasty ego-identified selfishness in her, I think, even more so than your average child. I tend to think now she was an ENTJ rather than an INTJ, because she rejected Fi instead of having it as her tertiary. Seems more to me now that her values were Te, vision was Ni, and that Se was her relief function, and this explains her interest in art, architecture, and her blatant sexualizing of men working, with no apology. Then rejected Fi.

Plus she was over-reacting to the government of her homeland.

She didn't even live up to her own philosophy, it's absurd, she was on SSI in her older years.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

oh god, its back.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Certain parts of Rand's moral theory are interestingly enough Kantian.

I argued with Randroids in favor of Kant for many, many years.
    It doesn't surprise me. Proof that Kant's philosophies are more relevant than hers, even if she wasn't explicit about her perspective's values.

What parts are you referring to?

MBTI
    INFJ

Interesting anagrams of 'Ayn Rand Objectivism':

A Bardic Jenny Vomits

A Brand Victims Enjoy

A Bad Cyst Vermin Join

A Rabid Cyst Move Jinn

A Bad Corn Jives Minty