User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't think the guy has the slightest idea what it's like to be a "normal" person.
    This whole attack the person strategy kind of falls flat with me.

I don't think Clinton's proclivity for blowjobs, or even the fact that he perjured himself, kept him from being able to govern justly.

That said, I'm still voting for someone other than Romney or Obama.
    Best of luck.

I do. The guy has never actually built anything. He's no Bill Gates. I don't think he knows how to do anything but cut costs.
    There is more to turning a company around (what Bain Capital does) than cutting costs.

Sure getting rid of superfluous spending and programs is part of it.

But righting the fiscal ship that is a corporation takes a kind of vision, and more importantly the ability to realize that vision, that lends itself very well to the economic crisis we face.

That being said, I'm not arguing that Romney would solve all our problems should he be elected, what I am saying is that I think the chances of the recovery accelerating are greater under a Romney administration than they would be under a second Obama administration.

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    From my general impression, this forum is left-leaning, and also tends to skew near the college age.

Some people say that this demographic is unlikely to vote. Is this true?

Some people say the enthusiasm just isn't there. Is this true?

Others say, that even if you have the intention to vote, this demographic will likely get distracted or "too busy" to vote. Is this true?
    Multiple reasons, the only word I can think of that sums up most of it is disenfranchised. Some states make it a pain in the butt to vote.

My district is pretty liberal, so I tend to know who is coming out. Still I try to make her vote on bills favorably to me.

People don't know how far a quick call telling your rep (nicely) that you don't like a bill goes a long way. Many would be surprised that you are paying attention to them. This is especially true if you read parts of the bill describing what you don't like.

Some of them don't care, and you know what type of representatives those are, the one with 70% voting range with no one looking at the reps records.

But, no pain no gain... if you aren't going to spend a little time kicking those bastards out of Congress nothing will change and the President is all but a figurehead.

This is why old people seem to get what they want - they vote in droves all the time. What is lacking is that they don't look at their representatives deep enough to know the representatives.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If we focus on cutting costs (the deficit) before focusing on jobs and getting the economy back on its feet, we'll be left with a shell of a country. I don't think Romney has any idea how to create jobs.
    Well, what we do know is that Obama is incompetent in this regard. We also know that Romney was in management, within the business sector for many years and was successful. So I think the better candidate is obvious in regards to financial issues.

xxEnoMorph

Pretty true

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Well, what we do know is that Obama is incompetent in this regard. We also know that Romney was in management, within the business sector for many years and was successful. So I think the better candidate is obvious in regards to financial issues.
    Well, I think part of the debate for me is whether this a good or a bad thing. What type of businessman was Romney?

Some businesses make money by leveraging resources to create value and getting compensated for it.

Many others make money by taking it from others by gaming markets and swindling people. (Pretty much the whole financial sector falls in the second category). If we put someone like this in charge they will just gut the country to benefit their cronies.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Well, I think part of the debate for me is whether this a good or a bad thing. What type of businessman was Romney?

Some businesses make money by leveraging resources to create value and getting compensated for it.

Many others make money by taking it from others by gaming markets and swindling people. (Pretty much the whole financial sector falls in the second category). If we put someone like this in charge they will just gut the country to benefit their cronies.
    This, but I don't feel like turning this thread into bickering.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

That's pretty much what I expect Romney to do. Obama may not have any solutions, but our current course is far from the worst possible course.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    This, but I don't feel like turning this thread into bickering.
    True enough.

So here is an electoral map of the US:
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...llege_map.html

Here is a map of the House of Representatives race:
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...house_map.html

and finally for the senate:
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...enate_map.html

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

If we put someone like this in charge they will just gut the country to benefit their cronies.
    A pretty bold claim.

I don't think who's sitting in the white house has all that much to do with what extend the gov't and business are in bed with each other.

Permabanned

I won't vote.
    No one is doing what I want.
    They can argue amongst themselves.
    I'll be living my life.
    Just waiting.

The issues they address aren't even close to the issues I see.

So, whatever.