User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    We rock our thongs flip-flops!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I just heard on the news a few minutes ago that the chances of getting shot are 40 times higher in the USA than they are in Canada, England or Germany. If they are only 15 times higher than in Australia, that still makes Australia look pretty barbaric by comparison, if you truely want to go down that road and use that line of argumentation. And I am sure there are countries with even better statistics.

But, as others have already explained, those numbers alone don't paint the whole picture.

EDIT: And to be honest, I think those numbers are exaggerated. It's 3.45 homicides with firearrms per 100.000 inhabitants in the USA, 0.54 in Canada and 0.19 in Germany so that would be 18 times, not 40 according to the source I found on Wikipedia. Australia lies inbetween at 0.27 firearm-related homicides per 100.000 inhabitants.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Do you think this figure takes population into account. Since the population of the U.S is 14-15 times larger than that of australia, wouldn't the U.S having 15 times the number of people dying from guns indicate that the percentage of the population killed by guns is the same?

I never claimed to be good at math though so i could be totally wrong.
    The percentage of the population would be the same, if that were the case, but it isn't the case.

The problem with that is that comparatively very few people get shot in Australia, and it isn't in any way proportional to how many people get shot in the US vs population.

We're talking about the chances of getting shot and the ratio is higher in the US in respect to the population. If the chances were the same then yes, 15 times the population would equal 15 times as many people being shot, but chances aren't the same. They are higher in the US but still very very small.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I just heard on the news a few minutes ago that the chances of getting shot are 40 times higher in the USA than they are in Canada, England or Germany. If they are only 15 times higher than in Australia, that still makes Australia look pretty barbaric by comparison, if you truely want to go down that road and use that line of argumentation. And I am sure there are countries with even better statistics.

But, as others have already explained, those numbers alone don't paint the whole picture.

EDIT: And to be honest, I think those numbers are exaggerated. It's 3.45 homicides with firearrms per 100.000 inhabitants in the USA, 0.54 in Canada and 0.19 in Germany so that would be 18 times, not 40 according to the source I found on Wikipedia. Australia lies inbetween at 0.27 firearm-related homicides per 100.000 inhabitants.
    Yeah. For a given year it might have been 15 times higher than Australia. Those numbers show 12.8 higher, which is pretty close and not much of a big difference since were basically multiplying a fraction of a fraction.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I wonder if there's any genuine travel advisory information like that put out by any national governments about the US, its funny because I remember reading the US CIA factbook about the "troubles" in Northern Ireland and found it humorous, also wondered were they got their information that the provisional IRA wanted to impose Roman Catholicism by force of arms but anyway, I know that the UK issues travel advisory but its usually insanely obvious and pretty much a clue that if you go there the state isnt going to save your ass no way never, like Syria isnt nice these days or something like that or go see sunny Somalia, said nobody ever.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

The German Foreign Ministry naturally doesn't have the USA on its warning list, but if you read the entry for the US in the alphabetical list of countries, it mentiones a danger of terrorist attacks (according to the US's own assessment), the usual heads-up for pickpockets you get everywhere in the world and then: "In the USA it is comparatively easy to get hold of firearms. Should you become victim of an armed attack, do not try do put up any resistance!" That's it.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I wonder if there's any genuine travel advisory information like that put out by any national governments about the US, its funny because I remember reading the US CIA factbook about the "troubles" in Northern Ireland and found it humorous, also wondered were they got their information that the provisional IRA wanted to impose Roman Catholicism by force of arms but anyway, I know that the UK issues travel advisory but its usually insanely obvious and pretty much a clue that if you go there the state isnt going to save your ass no way never, like Syria isnt nice these days or something like that or go see sunny Somalia, said nobody ever.
    That is one long sentence.

MBTI
    INFJ

The German Foreign Ministry naturally doesn't have the USA on its warning list, but if you read the entry for the US in the alphabetical list of countries, it mentiones a danger of terrorist attacks (according to the US's own assessment), the usual heads-up for pickpockets you get everywhere in the world and then: "In the USA it is comparatively easy to get hold of firearms. Should you become victim of an armed attack, do not try do put up any resistance!" That's it.
    Hehe yeah. We have 90% guns per capita - 90 guns per 100 people thereabouts. Those guns are owned by half the people roughly, which means a lot of people simply have two or three guns and the other half don't have any.

Considering that, and considering the fact that our shootings are comparatively low as opposed to the number of armed citizens, I'd say we are very good at not shooting people.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It takes a lot of critical thinking to be able to parse statistics correctly. Unfortunately, the media is not always responsible on how it reports things. And some people aren't very discerning about repeating any little tidbit of data that makes their cruisade look better.. even if displays a lack of critical thought, or a lack of respect to their intended audience.

WALMART

3.45 firearm related homicides per 100 inhabitants D= and that's not including knifings, beatings, and other assorted methods of death dealing?

that sounds a little strange, but perhaps that's my emotion kicking up....