User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

The UK government's plan to battle tax avoidance... Don't pay plumbers in cash, or you are morally corrupt! It would be hilarious if they weren't truly serious...

From the article
    "Getting a discount with your plumber by paying cash in hand is something that is a big cost to the revenue and means others must pay more in tax," Gauke said.

Asked whether he disapproves of the practice, Gauke said: "Yes, I think it's morally wrong. It is illegal for the plumber but it is pretty implicit in these circumstances that there is a reason why there is a discount for cash. That is a large part of the hidden economy."

Revenue and Customs has raised £500m in the past year after launching campaigns focusing on particular areas such as plumbers and electricians. The revenue yesterday welcomed the jailing of a Surrey plumber who evaded £50,000 in income tax.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...dspending-hmrc
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    The UK government's plan to battle tax evasion... Don't pay plumbers in cash, or you are morally corrupt! It would be hilarious if they weren't truly serious...

From the article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...dspending-hmrc
    We have similar feelings in the US with people getting angry at welfare mothers for "destroying the economy" rather than the corporations that spend millions, if not billions, lobbying to get laws passed in their favor.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    It is more like the Nordic Countries priorities are more in line with Education, Healthcare, and less Prisons. They know it is a good idea to fund those areas for a healthy nation for today and for the future generations.

On the other hand, we have a rising student debt with mediocre education (which we are obviously doing something wrong somewhere,) nonexistent healthcare for those that need it (until... THAT bill...,) and a country sprawling with public and private prisons and giant military spending.

We can do better than what other countries have. We just apparently choose not to.
    We can do better than other countries have? That seems pretty arrogant seeing as that we aren't delivering. The simple fact is that currently we aren't, and while good things have come out of the U.S. in the past, we seem to actually be one of the countries who is currently doing less well; we hover just above countries like Mexico or Romania on so many different stats it's embarrassing to me.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    We have similar feelings in the US with people getting angry at welfare mothers for "destroying the economy" rather than the corporations that spend millions, if not billions, lobbying to get laws passed in their favor.

that kind of thinking always puts me off. i bet the opening salvo of bombs during desert shield would have fed half the country for a year.

and YES, i'm very much making statistics up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    We can do better than other countries have? That seems pretty arrogant seeing as that we aren't delivering. The simple fact is that currently we aren't, and while good things have come out of the U.S. in the past, we seem to actually be one of the countries who is currently doing less well; we hover just above countries like Mexico or Romania on so many different stats it's embarrassing to me.
    That is why I said we can do better than other countries and that we just choose not to. In other words, we have the ability, but we have no will. And for those that do have the will, they take advantage of it.

It seems like all I hear these days is that they(you) shouldn't deserve better.

When I look at other countries, I think "Hey, we should do THAT but even BETTER!"

But nope...